Discussion Opinion thread: ISSTH (Warning: may contain spoilers if not at latest chapter)

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Parth37955, Mar 3, 2016.

1. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    I readed it for the first 54 chapters ,but after it it just had started to grow somehow 'boring' and I dropped it. If anyone has a good reason for me to continue this novel please say it.

2. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    Even then... Facing death because of some item is not "easy to obtain" :)

3. orig27

orig27 Everlasting Monarch

Reading List:
    Link
    Well good to have a comrade!!

Well Meng Hao still running tho.

4. Fengmi

Fengmi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow you left Issth way before i do. Everything about the plant in his body has been explained i think.

As for what irks me the most about issth is the plot armor and power up seems to rain down from the sky. He gets shit tonnes of power from almost everything on earth and its like he didnt have any individuality in terms of power characteristics. The romance part of the novel also put me off from this novel.
    Yeah people will say that the plot is superb as things connect to each other in one way or another but alas this novel still runs on rinse and repeat and honestly this tired me out when reading it.

All in all, issth is a great novel but its still depends on individuals preference. There are some parts that i like in issth but there's also tonnes other that annoys me.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Any "life and death situation" is completely irrelevant when you know that the MC will make it through. Always.

6. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe he took Bloodflash from Patriarch Big Head after he surrendered. Pill Demon wasn't involved. Meng Hao took the pill from Pill Demon's disciple after killing him at the demon sea.

7. rahulranderwala

rahulranderwala Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    which MC does not have a plot armor??
    but the way authors uses it is important, and Er Gen uses it pretty well by lots of foreshadowing and world building, not just some random luck??

8. Baddiez

Baddiez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt we'll ever agree on this, so i'll just leave it at this.

9. Sheepo

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me answer with a question... Would you read a novel where the MC changes every 50 chapters because some stronger villain kills the current MC?
    I think at some point we have to draw a line... don't we?
    Even if you want to read about a coward that always submits to the ones stronger than him... Well, atleast I think that's just boring...

10. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, you'll find the next arc fun.

11. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot Armour is a MUST in any Xuanhuan killing story and that's mostly because the MC can't stagnate in power. World of Cultivation MC is someone who can't go through quick growth, and Ze Tian Ji MC is rather crippled.

It's how Plot Armour is done that makes or breaks a story. IET is a nice world builder and all, but I can't like his characters at all. ATG, MGA, PMG. Nope, just nope. TJSS makes us like his OP MCs who use their OPness to break through problems. ISSTH relies on the MC being fated to be powerful.

Vincent1873 and Astaroth like this.
  12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course not. But that doesn't mean that "Life and death situations" make it tense or "well deserved", because we know from the start that the MC will pull through in one way or another.

It's interesting to see how the MC gets themselves out of the mess or what powerup trick the Author will pull for the MC to magically survive or resurrect from the dead. But it's not like they did something difficult and now suddenly earned this. There's always a guarantee that some kind of progress is achieved, unless the novel ends with it of course.

13. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Ant like cultivation in comparison to who? The strongest person chasing him around had a cultivation of rank 9 to his 6.
    2. She only recently became special in any way.
    3. He didn't get away. He was caught and survived because Reliance killed them all.
    4. What's broken about the technique? Exactly. It lets him look at things in a different way.
    5. It was lucky but not exactly unlikely. He was in the sacred realm of one of the most powerful clans in the history of the Western Desert. The Ji clan guy just happened to freeze the protections. Cultivators also has a 6th sense which allows them to find things beyond just seeing them so that raises the odds of him finding it. We don't know the history of the bat.
    6. He made the best of a bad situation.
    7. You keep saying that with no consideration for the cultivation of what's trying to kill him. It wasn't all that much more powerful than him from appearances.

14. Baddiez

Baddiez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Multiple people stronger than him chase him and he gets away as per usual
    2. I don't see how it being a recent thing changes the point that shes broken
    3. no comment.
    4. ............If that's what you think it is then this is kind of pointless
    5. He managed to run away from a fucking immortal trying to catch him and still had time to pick stuff up....
    6. ^
    7.Refer to 1

I doubt we'll agree or really come to any meaninful type of agreement at all so this will be my last response to this particular thing.

15. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? So basically all the plots points are suppose to be shallow and easily seen through? I consider picking things up from the past as a sign of good world building.

16. WearyRain

WearyRain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure the MCs in all those given their respectively bloodlines/inheritances are all fated to be powerful

Ontled likes this.
  17. Sheepo

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you want a story where Meng Hao just sits in his Immortal's Cave for a couple hundred to thousands years and suddenly turns into an immortal?
    Also boring...

If you read a novel based on cultivation and you never read about some kind of comparison between cultivation bases... Isn't the whole novel just pointless?...
    Well, and how do you compare cultivation bases? Right... You fight... And how do you make these fights atleast a little bit interesting? Right... Make the opponent stronger than the MC... and maybe put some nice bait on top of it (some unique item)...
    If you don't and the opponents are only at the same level (or even lower than the MC) nobody wants to read it (just like the current tribe wars).

So now you have quite a bad situation... You don't want "life and death situations in which the MC will survive anyway", neither do you want a dead MC nor do you want boring fights with opponents as strong as or even weaker than the MC... Not mentioning the fact that you won't read a cave-sitting novel...

So what do you actually want?... I just don't get it...

18. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Why does it matter how many are chasing him if he's in front of them? If 100 people are chasing Bolt in a straight line he'll still get away. He has a stamina advantage because he was popping pills and such anyway.
    2. She has like a Spirit Severing level soul in her. All the other Chosen in her sect have like NS level guys in them. That other girl's ancestor that's in her is probably an immortal. What makes her broken? Also it's not gonna be all that useful in the future once Meng Hao reaching that level himself.
    4. Well, the point was for you to defend how it's broken. As far as I can tell it lets him see the mysteries of the world like an immortal would. My point was that it's not insanely useful as of now.
    5. Ji 19 isn't an Immortal. He's a fake Immortal. Probably like Meng Hao is a fake NS level cultivator. Ji 19 is probably just at the peak of Dao Seeking Stage with a few Ji clan tricks. Also he wasn't being personally chased. He was being chased by a treasure, through a portal from the opposite side of the planet. Also he only personally picked up one thing. Picking things up is pretty much him moving into the area and waving his arm.
    7. Refer to 1.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  19. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    *Insults*

20. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    IET usually has the weak background MC rising up with all that OP stuff.
    Other Xuanhuan stories had MC with one of his parents being OP. Still, their sole parent in general is probably a low rank cultivator

ISSTH has the MC being given away and ZERO chance of him becoming a cultivator. His family is mortal, his goals were mortal. Heck, him being picked up was such a lucky streak it had to be fate.

World of Cultivation MC still has a mysterious past.
    Ze Tian Ji's prologue told us the MC is gonna be pretty OP...