Opinions on idea of a story

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Wizard007, Jul 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizard007

Wizard007 Arlo

Reading List:
    Link
    Wondering peoples ideas on the idea of write first, edit later or editing as you write as I have recently decided to write a story and have looked at many suggestions and to say the least, I am very confused.
    Any ideas in writing in general are welcomed.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think writing it first and editing later is good. Just get the ideas down then go back later to improve it/add details

3. ALostCause

ALostCause Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know many people prefer to just mindlessly right first and then come back and edit later so they don't lose any ideas.

I usually just start with bullet points of everything I want to discuss, and then put them in the order that I think would make the most sense. Then, I just take each bullet points and start writing about them. Personally for me, I tend to edit as I write each sentence while checking for flow and consistency in ideas from the previous sentences as well! The only time where I'd just mindlessly jot down random sentences in the middle is when I have ideas for how to structure the following sentences. When that happens, I usually put something like this a place holder ("blah blah ____expand and talk about this but make it sound pretty here____ blah blah blah.") and then start on the following sentences. I use this method so that the ideas I have are already in bullet points so I can take my time with the actual writing.

ludagad and Wizard007 like this.
  4. Wizard007

Wizard007 Arlo

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks will try and use both of your ideas and see how it goes

5. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    When something comes to mind, write it down, you can rephrase it later or change it, till you get a coherent text or chapter

6. Wizard007

Wizard007 Arlo

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Try and read as many novels as you can

8. Wizard007

Wizard007 Arlo

Reading List:
    Link
    K, do you think it matters whether they are in line with my intended genre or is it just about reading a variety of stories

9. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    On each light novel u read, there should be a scene or action that will be your favorite, try and incorporate it to your creation

Wizard007 likes this.
  10. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what kind of writer you are. If you have the kind of mind that needs the inspiration to write, you have to just let it pour out. If you have the kind of mind that needs to have a blueprint, your prewriting is far too important to skip.

11. Wizard007

Wizard007 Arlo

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely the first one

12. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Write first. Semi-plan before if needed

13. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    If I was to actually write a story, I would probably plan to write first, and then edit by transcribing. I know that I change my wording choice dependant on when I write it from the few times I've written on paper and then transcribed that writing onto my computer. So I expect that I would automatically edit my writing if I was to do this.

Not sure if this idea would help other's, but it's what would probably be the most effective method for me to utilise.

14. Writer_Luna

Writer_Luna Professional Liar

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never written an actual "story" but I write so many drafts that and then when I have new plot I put it down too so yeah it may be tiresome but writting it down makes me feel genuinely happy!

Funny relatable situation
    https://pin.it/3r5kEUD

15. Tech is life

Tech is life [Disinterested] [Sleepy] [Blithe]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Wizard007 I would suggest u should write the plot , the arcs and the characters you want to introduce (can always add more) . And then u can start writing the story. If u are writing an original you should start with researching on your topic and yeah if you are writing something that's in trend these days ( like systems, or transmigration) you then have a lot of reference works then. And the last - Good luck writing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.