Discussion Opinions on Qidian Mega-merge thread 2.0 - All future Qidian Opinion Threads Will Go Here

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BabaNovac, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Like qidian?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. No

155 vote(s)
    86.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneDK

LoneDK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean it's sad but I don't think it will kill the community. If the translator really want to get in touch with the community I'm sure there are plenty ways to do it. But this is the new reality, as xianxia gets more popular it'll get institutionalized and as much as I dislike Qidian they are the institution for xianxia. At the end of the day, it's all up to the translator and community whether or not a bond can be maintained.

Tianshen likes this.
  2. wan632

wan632 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hey can we vote to remove qidian from nuf community already.. i m sick of this drama.. got a lot more good novels to read without this 2 cent drama..

3. BabaNovac

BabaNovac FUYUKAI DESU Seraglio e youkoso SchrodingerPanties

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that, but I was talking about IRAS, not the other two novels, as far as I know there are still many chapters left to translate of that novel. Of course I'm not saying you should do it I can imagine of how many hours of hard work you have to invest for that,and the last thing I would want is you or any other translator getting ill. I was just saying what an awesome thing you and Legge have done.I can remember how happy and surprised I was on that day when I randomly opened NU and all those updates! Thanks again for the hard work Qidian or not you just do you r thang! By the way now I'm also a fan of Crayon Pop lol.

4. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Too long with no paragraphing or a clear bold summary plus the title makes it look like 'Why should we support Qidian's TL's patreon'. Why we should, and why should we confuses people.

Like you are going to explain to us, why should we do exactly that. When what you were trying to accomplish was something different, it should've said 'Why we shouldn't support Qidian's TL's patreons'.

Time to make some edits,

5. Cfourify

Cfourify Undercover FBI agent

Reading List:
    Link
    my only problem with qidian is that they don't have a buttomline, you can never know how low can they stoop.

Astaroth and BabaNovac like this.
  6. gauthamc

gauthamc [Dao of the Lonely Island]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I wrote for 3 hours and it all got deleted when I accidentally closed the tab.......

Originally I posted this when all this started -
    The first thing that came to my mind was that Qidian's site is not good and just feels like they just hired someone to make a site with money and the other party just made them a site without having any background information on the community. The site was made solely to benifit qidian.

This community is very much like youtube. First people began to share their love for these novels to people who can't read it in chinese. Slowly the community grew and grew to include people from so many parts of the world enjoying the content and wanting more. Many translators who did this as hobby in their free time suddenly found themselves with a community of supportive fans who not only like the novel but also care for the translator who translated all these for us that they could support themselves financially to an extent because of us. Sites like WW, volaretranslations, and gravity tales grew in popularity and drew in the scattered translations across many sites.

Do you still remember, old time buddies? once we got into reading these delightful novels, we had to search through so many sites/google results based on the comments and helpful replies on the site you first found to find the novels and eventually landed on Wuxia world and was surprised to find more than 1 on the site. We were happy that other scattered novels grouped under a common site because. There were no restrictions on the site. It was just a site so that you didn't have to run around the web to read the novels and each novel and tranlator had their own small community which they communicated with on a regular basis with the help of the comment section and the post itself where the translator used it to say what they wanted. It consisted of 2 way communication, mutual understanding and most importantly, respect for each other.

Tranlators even contacted the authors and the whole event was pleasant and heartwarming.

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/atg-chapter-300-✿-and-a-special-message-from-the-author/

Slowly novel updates formed and it provided you guessed it, novel updates. As soon as i discovered it it became almost a tradition to keep novel updates open on my leftmost tab 95% of the time I was online. This forum is the only forum I have ever used. I am proud of our community. You would think that with so many people there are bound to be many bad eggs, but no. The good eggs :)P) vastly trump the bad ones. This community was built upon a foundation of love and respect.

Everything changed when the qidian nation attacked sorry, not sorry.

I had mixed feelings about it at first. Qidian is a company, something that does not belong to a community like ours. Our eyes lay upon the novels whereas their's lay upon money. Nothing you can do about it. Its just what companies are. They produced many novels, many of which I quite like and eagerly wait for every day. Like Library of Heaven's Path, MMORPG: Rebirth of the Legendary Guardian, and Commanding Wind and Clouds. But other than one spot where the translator is mentioned, its like they are never there. There are no comment sections. The tranlator is given no way to communicate with us readers. The translator is to a translation what a author is to a novel and yet they are treated with such disregard. Sure the site looks pretty as one would expect it to when you have paid money for it to be made but the homepage is also next to useless. Did they even take time to see what we have built? do they even care? Do they even see us as a proper community or do they just see us as blocks who wouldn't notice anything and just swollow up whatever they throw at us? Fine one should atleast be prepared for this much abuse if they come to a 'company hosted' site. Atleast its free.

So I started reading novels on it. When reading anything on the web, there are bound to be words that you don't understand. For all those words I just double click on the word and drag it into a new tab so it searches for it in google. But when I did the same on their site it doesn't let me.

This is an active decision to not let anyone 'copy' their content and the feature has existed on their site from the moment it launched. Sure we have seen lazy copycats before but this is different. This is not merely to prevent other people hosting their free content but rather to prevent people reading it from other sites free of cost when their content is behind a paywall. Otherwise why would qidian go to such lengths? Keep in mind doing that means extra work and money. Once the paywall comes into play, we will only be able to read a few chapters of the novel as a teaser if we are lucky.

I was a little angry at the post qidian posted sounding all rightious when everyone can see what your motives are from your actions.

What you are doing is trying to destroy a beautiful community of people so that you can cash in on someone else's work like a goddamn cuckoo bird.

So I will be boycotting all novels from Qidian's site untill this issue get's fixed. Sure it might mean I'll be missing out on novels that I eagerly wait everyday but I can do that if it means there is hope of it not being blocked behind a paywall to just support the people who want to destroy such a community. I will not drink poison to quench my thirst.

P.S: Isn't it funny how Qidian is acting exactly like one of those Xianxia villains we hear of so often? This situation looks like its taken out from a novel. Ren if you are reading this please do not consider ourselves as the main charecters and proceed with caution because this is real life and Qidian is a huge company. Its a international issue so settle it internationationally and don't be dragged into their tempo. I may not be able to speak for everyone but we support you. That being said, the novels do provide a surprising amount of wisdom when it comes to things like these.

Since then Qidian has made many changes on their site which you can see for yourselves if you compare my first post with Qidian's site now.

Its a step in the right direction and its better than no step at all.

Now Qidian paywalling would lead to many effects which I went into full detail in the now deleted post. Just trust me it will lead to - reduced growth of new translators, translators working out of compulsion, deterrioration of the community, people turning to pirates which will not be discouraged, reduction of Qidian's reputation.

I also go into detail about how its better to cooperate with the community.

I also state quotes from - http://www.wuxiaworld.com/ac-agm-iras-tmw-halting-on-wuxiaworld/

And saying that paying WW translators more to poach them is petty and still doesn't change my view of them acting like scheming Xianxia villains.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
  7. toticky

toticky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. raioh

raioh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tyrant QI in xianxia be like : oh, this novel is popular? Then I'll take it back. What, you transltr dont wanna be my man? Well, f*ck off then. I'll ban your site from using MY novel. I have money.

9. Silverblood

Silverblood Forbidden Library

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes i wish we just treat qidian international as one of those agregates and ban them from being linked in nu hahahahaha

Drsha, Cite, pocketbear and 5 others like this.
  10. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    Another Riot !!!
    riot.jpg

BabaNovac likes this.
  11. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Fight da powa!

12. datormentxd

datormentxd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sad to drop some of my favorite novels because the wild chinese appeared but well, time to cry.
    I just hope the authors of other novels won't push the translators to get their TLs in QI.

13. strayCat0

strayCat0 What are you doing right now?

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds good dude, but doesn't work.

images (20).jpg

BabaNovac and nielyti like this.
  14. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    seriously another Qidian thread.........
    smash.jpg

polokoi, strayCat0 and SenjiQ like this.
  15. AurumGold

AurumGold [An Element]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah the good old days of reading comments from one novel to get to another.

Novel Updates really was a God send for me. Not only did I not have to bookmark every novel I read but I also got to know more novels I didnt find before.

The thing about Qidian is, its happened. Some people will use it, others won't.

Just wait for the paywall before boycotting. If you like. A novel by them, then just read it until the paywall. Later on just wait for a friendly guy to help you out.

Best solution is just try to read novels outside of Qidian.

16. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn, you're so brave. My most favorite novel is on Qidian (T_T)

nielyti likes this.
  17. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Well written there dude!!! Kudos to you!!
    [​IMG]
    What I really like with reading Novels is reading the comments of the readers and translator.
    It's fun to see people around the world interacting plus comments also have fun fiction and in-depth discussion.
    I don't really like Qidian cause it has no comment section not user friendly and there is no fun in it at all.

Compound Q, nielyti and Italosprado like this.
  18. Cfourify

Cfourify Undercover FBI agent

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is wuxiaworld doesn't seem to have a plot armor XD

19. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all because people are money hungry, blame Human Greed.

20. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian haters gonna hate. QI is the best. QI is love. QI is life.

That's why they fuck you up.

Pm me if you get the reference, we should get married. Huehuehue

Serious shit now : I think the topic has been exhausted. We've had enough debates about whether QI is ethical/legit/good/pedophillic? And etc. And their conflict with wuxiaworld was like eons agoo. Now, its just up to everybody's individual decision. I don't think these threads will change much anyway. Haters gonna hate. Leechers gonna leech. Rich ppl gonna pay. Ww supporters not gonna pay. My neighbour is still gonna park in front of my driveway regardless how many times I talk to him or deflate his tyres. My mom is still not gonna love me. So yeah, life goes on.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    lottie and BabaNovac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.