Opinions?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Avylon, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Avylon

Avylon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,
    I'm a long term writer of mostly fantasy and mystery stories.
    Up until now I've been working mostly in my native language which I cherish for much bigger vocabulary and syntax options but well, the time has come and I'm thinking about translating something to English, or writing anew, so that wider audience can reach it.
    Is it worth it?
    What are the options of posting?
    How to find your readers?
    Will everybody hate me for some grammatical errors?

Thank you for your time

2. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Is it worth it? - Well that’s subjective.. if you’re talking from just a monetary stand point then yeah obviously it is, the greater your audience the more views/readers you’d generate and more mullah you’d make.

2. what are the options of posting? - you could get in touch with a translating group that has a site and negotiate a deal with them, you could also post on Scribble hub that’s here on NU or you could sell your soul to the devil (webnovel/QI).

3. how to find your readers? - that’s easy, here on NU

4. Will everyone hate me for some grammatical errors? - yes and no.. well they won’t hate you, but they can be a little mean in their comments at times so be ready for that.. so long as it’s not a major blunder I don’t think most people would mind much (not including grammar nazi’s cause I doubt they’re even human) but judging from your post I’d say your English is pretty decent, of course I can’t compare this little post with a novel but, it seems like you won’t generate as much hate as other translating sites that seem like straight MTL with negative editing done so I think you’ll be fine

3. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. It depends on how well your novels/writing style end up in English. You can go to the top novels on royalroad and check their patreon for an idea of how much you can get.
    2. You can consider posting in websites like Royalroad or wattpad, etc.
    3. See above.
    4.Grammatical errors here and there aren't a problem. You'll get some hate if it has a lot of errors so be sure to proofread. What may be good writing in the original language could end up as not very good in a different one after 1:1 translation so you'll likely have to do some rewriting if you're looking to present it in the best possible way.

4. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    It's okay to start something new. If you aren't confident, then read up on what you don't know. If you have the conviction to do it, do it consistently. English isn't my native lang too but even months of practice will show progress. And there are many tools online to learn.

5. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    1: That wholeheartedly depends on you. You are the one that is going to translate those tales into English. If you think they are worth the hassle of translating, then do it. Wanting to spread your story to a wider audience is a good thing! I would love to read the translated work (although it depends on what type of story it is)
    2: Post it on the traffic-heavy sites. Meaning, Royralroad, Scribbelhub, and Wattpad. Don't just post it in one place, go big and reach big
    3. Just post your story and do so in a timely manner. Like a chapter a week, or two. And always on Mondays and Thursdays. Something like that.

4: Depends on how bad it is. Just try to do your best. No one is expecting an editor-aided story to hit Scribblehub anytime soon.

6. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Please note, these comments and recommendations are made from my point of view as a reader, as I have not produced or published my own work. I come up with plenty of great ideas, but never actually start writing stories.

1. Whether or not it is "worth" the effort of translation or producing new content depends on what you intend to get out of the effort. If it is monetary benefit, you are more likely to gain more donations from an English Speaking Audience, simply because the potential Audience is larger. If you wish to practice and expand upon your English, there can be benefits from interacting with an English Speaking Audience. However, there are also risks, such as the fact that it's possible that themes presented in an acceptable manner in your own language may be offensive when presented the same way in English, and your new audience would have a larger pool of spoiled brats to draw upon, and all the negative repercussions of that, as a side effect of the larger potential audience.

2. The options for posting vary depending on numerous things. Honestly, though, if you're looking for a site that will give you access to a fairly large audience and would be hands-off on your work, I suspect Royal Road & Scribble Hub are your better options. From what I have heard, Royal Road has a larger audience, but has had issues with having more obnoxious readers. Scribble Hub has a smaller audience, but apparently has friendlier members. If you're looking at getting as many readers as possible, use both and other places that don't restrict your posting, like Wattpad.

3. I have no idea how to help you find readers. A consistent, long term update schedule helps keep readers, but I can't even say what methods I use to choose the stories I decide to try out.

4. Grammatical errors exist even in English Originals written by people from English Speaking Countries. While there are people who will react to them, most readers on free-to-read sites are more likely to try to helpfully point out said errors, listing corrections that fit what they think the author's trying to say. Well, so long as there's only a couple dozen of them in the chapter. While some people do truly care about their presence, those people are unlikely to appear on free-to-read sites. The real issue here is Trolls. Some people just enjoy causing other's to suffer, or like to tear the work they're enjoying to pieces and publicly display the fact that they did so. These are the people who will complain about minor Grammatical Errors and treat them as if it's a personal offence. They are also the people who will find anything they disagree with happening in your story as a reason to badmouth it and try to make you stop writing it, never mind all the other people reading who are enjoying the story, nor the fact that they could easily stop reading the story themselves. If you do choose to do this, please try to avoid taking the words of a few naysayers who don't say anything of substance to heart.