LCD Overgeared

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by hanglekuk, Oct 16, 2017.

1. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because biology. It's one thing to reduce external damage from a powerful strike, and another to survive without a head. Unless you are some sort of dullahan, that just does not work.

2. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regrow it like Deadpool. Someone just got their head destroyed in the cultivation story Sage Monarch just the other day. Once they reach a certain level they can regrow their bodies. In Legendary Mechanic the MC sniped a guy in the heart and he only suffered severe injury and was stunned for a while before the MC finished him off with a few more shots. That's the point. Biology doesn't necessarily work the same for superhumans. Which is why they're superhumans in the first place.

3. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobexpressionless:
    In the cultivation novels, it is established that after some point the bodies don't matter. They have souls and that is their main body of sorts and they can lose the meat sack and get a new one if they so desire.
    Comics never followed any rules and are full of plot holes. That is why they had to destroy the whole freaking multiverse in them.
    Now, in the OG, there were no rules were established in regards to what happens when someone gets stabbed in the heart. There are also supposedly no souls to speak of. If you read it carefully, some people survive after their chest blew up and some die from being stepped on. Considering the game at least attempts to mimic some sort of biological resemblance to humans, by all accounts if someone has the heart destroyed or severely damaged, they should die or at the very least, lose the ability to function and die within a few minutes.
    I suggest you don't bring the lore from other novels into one another, or you might end up mighty confused...
    :facepalm:

4. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I was making a point. That being that superhumans don't have to follow the same rules as regular people. It doesn't matter how they survive such things just that they do. Thus making a definitive statement of 'they should die if their heart is stabbed' is pointless if no such thing is established. In OG I think it makes more sense to look at the strength of the person in question. A hit to the heart will obviously be a critical hit but whether it'll kill them or not likely depends on their level and hp.

5. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they have to follow the same rules. Because they are stronger within the same set of rules is what makes them superhuman. The lore has to establish the rules and follow them, otherwise, the novel is just nonsense. Unless the said superhuman is in fact not a human, he should die after the head was cut of/blown up, or the heart destroyed. Because no matter how physically strong your body is, unless the lore contains an analogous thing to a soul that can exist without the container, the body must follow the laws of the world. If everyone in the world dies from getting stabbed in the heart, except for one person, the author must provide an explanation that makes sense within that world.

In this case, stabbing in the heart is treated in the way that if someone is stabbed there, they should die. You can pretty much see it from this very chapter, where Grid expected to actually kill the Duke by stabbing him in the heart and the author had to pull the nonsense "he avoided critical damage just because". It would be very easy to write "sword pierced his chest" instead of "sword pierced his heart". Then, you can pull some sort of more or less reasonable explanation within the context that he only damaged the heart, but didn't actually destroy it, or he dealt critical damage but missed the heart. If you write in one sentence "sword has pierced his heart" and in the next "the heart was not completely destroyed, so he is fine" - that is nonsense. The heart is either important, or it isn't. If it is severely damaged, the duke at the very least should lose most of his power until he is healed or die within a short time span.
    The only time I can accept such a thing would be in case of demonic possession, where the demon keeps the host alive and restores him.

6. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Those set of rules creates different tiers of people depending on how strong they are and specifically mention that they don't follow the same set of rules. For example in Sage Monarch you can only restore your body after you reach a certain cultivation level. Same system but different rules depending on your strength. It would be the same thing in this case. That rule doesn't even make sense depending on improvements to superhumans. What if magic or some other energy can replace oxygen in the body for long periods of time? What if they can regrow heart tissue? Then them healing from having their heart destroyed is just a matter of getting the time to do so. Also you're equating the heart and head with the entire body when talking about it holding the soul.

That it should kill him here is also speculation. We can only assume that the heart is a critical location not that it should be certain death. I'll agree that didn't completely destroy but damaged it is nonsensical unless in certain circumstances but there are more than you name. If he can heal his own heart then it may take more energy to restore the entire thing. Demonic possession is what? Magic. Guess what the Sword Duke has? Magic. Like I mentioned earlier magic working to keep them alive through what would normally be considered fatal is possible.

7. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and the OG does not have any such rules, which is my point. And because of that, it contradicts itself on a number of occasions. No rules, no explanations, just nonsense in the form of people living with crushed hearts.
    Or, btw, didn't Braham die after he was stabbed in the heart? Is duke stronger than Braham in this case, since the duke survived the stab and Braham did not?
    Well, whatever...

8. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Which rules does OG not have? That there are different tiers of people? That's definitely there. That those higher tier of people are more hardy in general? That's there as well. That the author doesn't explain the specifics of how things work doesn't mean that the overall rules don't exist. You're sitting here and ignoring the fact that people have HP in this world for example and how much HP you have is directly related to how hard you are to kill. If your HP doesn't reach 0 then you won't die. That's a very clear rule.

I don't think it went into detail about how exactly Braham died. It could be a sword to the heart with a myth rated sword and then sending sword energy throughout the entire body for example.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Rainingmoon likes this.
  9. rfrfcb3001

rfrfcb3001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    may i ask you ? where i can find list of characters for that novel ?

10. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you try google?

11. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ... metal that doubles itself and metal that is indestructible and autonomous. Has Grid considered making golems???

Also, what other 3 mats he will be picking? For those who read ahead do spoil please.

Assumption on God Metal. Due to the rarity.

12. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He would need to add mytheral for high magic conductivity, idk about other 2

13. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm assuming it's dragon iron, mithril, adamantium, and
    a piece from the alchemist demon he just killed.

14. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One problem is the insane dragon iron. If he uses it, his exclusive mineral will replicate, but if he makes equipment out of it, the equipment will grow to become heavier, and larger so a sword will eventually become too big to use. But if he uses the anvil the deduce/cancel the replicating the effect on his items, he'll also be reducing the other effects, like the infinite durability, which I believe is the best perk of pavarium

On the other hand, I would imagine that he could make like a little tiny golem and with time, it will evolve and grow to become a giant, indestructible sentient mech.

Imagine an Overgeared mech army. Now imagine it fighting a dragon and doing a drop kick from space

15. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I would believe that the anvil's cancelling effect only affects the duplication part of the new metal unless the novel early stated that the anvil can affect the indestructibility of P-metal. Because I thought the reason the anvil can affect Insane Dragon Metal is because it is made up of a material that counters the exact properties of IDM. I would assume Grid will capitalise on the properties of P-metal and IDM in order to do as stated, "create an arsenal of personalized weapons". Which in my mind include a mecha and a palace that flies on its own and housing millions of flying blades, armor and shield. Further thoughts include a telescopic blade (assuming Grid can control the properties of IDM), magic floating cannons aka Dragoon System or Bits.

16. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Went the effects of insane dragon stone / bead just to enhance / reduce the property of something

17. Ectcorray

Ectcorray Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot about that little detail—the one where the Suppression works on all characteristics.

There are three ways I could see Grid addressing it, though:
    -he might toggle the duplication of his mineral just like he can toggle existing orders for pavranium
    -might use up a slot of Legendary Craftsmanship to make a tool for the express purpose of removing only the duplication
    -might incorporate a mineral into the mix that can compress itself (which he would control).

Whichever way it goes, I'm sure it'll be fun. I don't think we've seen 3 of the 5 minerals that'll be in the mix, so it could go anywhere. The only thing that comes to mind might be the Evil Iron Ore, which has a chance of instakilling on contact. The final product will probably be on par with the God Stone that Hexetia used, but I doubt he'll use that in the mixture. My guess is it'll be Pavranium, Insane Ore, something for magic enhancing (but better than White Light Mythril), something for damage enhancing, and a wildcard.

All of that said, I'm still rooting for a giant semi-sentient golem at some point. Braham's might have been foreshadowing.

Yomiel Metathronos likes this.
  18. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The collection of of minerals that's Grid is using is lowkey insane. Like pavarium is a mineral that was created through the efforts of two powerful and well known legends. Not to mention there is a very limited supply, had Grid failed his quest to retrieve them, a majority of them would've been destroyed

The insane dragon iron could only be mined in a dragon lair, and that alone is nearly impossible to retrieve had Grid and Kraguel not summoned the Dragon onto a different server. If he had mined it while the Dragon was still around, not only would it hunt him down endlessly like Kraguel, but he could've gotten a dangerous and pretty much permanent curse that would've rebuffed him severly. So thats like end game material.
    Most importantly it would turn his super limited supply of pavarium into an ever multiplying Super base material, that can't be topped by another

The meteorite that fell from the heavens being adamantium that retained all of its physical properties without carrying any trace of divinity within it, would normally be impossible to find such a thing. Like honestly, the only supply of it would be in the empire and the only case of it being seen was Duke Limit's Star Sword. You'd have to kill him to get it, how many players could do that?

And black mytheral that only the emperor and crowned Prince have access to. Had Grid not gotten such a high affinity with the Dukes, which is normally impossible, he never would be been able to obtain a pure form of it (remember that he doesn't want it to have any traces of Red energy, or any magic in it either, so Red Knight armor is a no go)

And Beriths Hoof which is not only the 22nd Great demon and super difficult to raid, but personally I think it's the best material to add for this reason considering Berith was the Great Demon of lies and alchemy. Which means his drops would retain some of that ultimate alchemic property and would probably help his new mineral have an even stronger ability to obtain and maximize any new attribute attached to it. Making it more beneficial to add than bloodstone at least

19. Grynthax

Grynthax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think he's going to use Berith's Hoof for the exact same reason that he doesn't want to use regular adamantium or bloodstone which is their "allignment" properties. Maybe I've forgotten something and he is but as of right now I don't believe that he is using Berith's Hoof. He is however using Adamantium (however this is from the meteroite) because the properties are removed. So as of right now, Black Mithril (if and when obtainable), Insane Dragon Iron ( which to be honest, if you use it on a Insane Dragon Iron anvil then the properties are negated thus making it usable while also maintaining the replication properties - at least that's how I understood it), Adamantium ( from the meteorite ), and Pavranium. It'll be at least 10 or maybe even 20 chapters or so before we see it come about though.

20. Grynthax

Grynthax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To my understanding, your argument is how the laws and rules of Overgeared aren't realistic. Like if I had to summarize it, it sounds like you're arguing that certain areas should be lethal and such because they are in some games. And to a certain extent, I agree. Being stabbed in the heart and then "say sike right now" isn't very realistic. But at the same time, you are reading a novel about a guy who plays a VRMMO. It's a video game thus you cannot apply common sense to it and I believe that is the issue. Novels like this aren't meant to apply common sense to, in my eyes at least. Furthermore, to be quite honest, fights are very boring if someone pierces the other person in the heart and that's it. Like, the example used was splitting a island in half. If a person splits an island in half then there is a high probability that their bodies are able to adapt to that. Because if you have the strength to swing a sword or rip an island in half then there is no way that you could just do that without some sort of sense of body strengthening. And if you did rip an island or cut an island in half with just pure strength and your body wasn't able to keep up with that then you would just die. (p.s. Killing a character because they couldn't handle their power is kinda lame. especially if the reason that "his body wasn't able to keep up".) So if you want to go with a realistic explanation, the bodies are strengthened in order to match the power. Or you could focus on the notion that because this is a video game that common sense isn't applicable. Either way, a mineral that mulitplies itself, a unicorn, a blacksmithing competition with a god, the list goes on but the point is that reasoning isn't really all that applicable here.