Discussion Overlord : The split in community

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by juniorjawz, Jan 16, 2018.

?

Basically the community. Where do you stand?

1. Love this Lizard arc. Fuck you haters!

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Fuck this Lizard arc. Get the fuck outta here!

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. I'm just here for some drama~

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PS : sorry for the crude languay for you sensitive ppl out there but I'm just channeling the community's basic reaction~ :blobpopcorn:

The anime finally reach Vol 4~ the moment Author-chan wants to do something new and make a full story on the 'weaklings' side of the story... here comes the Lizard Arc!

Screenshot_20180117-022737.png
    :sweating_profusely::blobdizzy::blobfearful:
    On one side we have the people who love this new change of pace. They emphatize with the lizard situation. They love the back and forth among the lizards. And they wished the lizards well. And the end of the arc was truly satisfying to watch. Would it matter if MadHouse skipped this arc? This side would have been disappointed and curse MadHouse for it.

And on the other side basically hating this arc to the bone. Fuck this waste of time, boring and pointless arc. Would it matter if MadHouse skipped it? It won't matter for this side.

So where do you stand?
    Are you a lover or are you a hater of this arc?
    Let us see where the community stands~

Side note : Sexy lizard time incoming! Shallchair incoming!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh Could not care less

3. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like overlord.

seabuckthorn and otaku31 like this.
  4. Arumanfi

Arumanfi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing I'm looking forward in this arc is hot lizard reproduction documentary anime.

5. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly i found the lizards boring both in the manga and novel, and i'd rather their first real battle would be against someone more interesting

6. Kurokami Shuu

Kurokami Shuu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they hate this arc, they will propably hate the rest of the novel, vol 12 is like only 15% of Ainz pov, but when his time comes it is so fun that it doesnt matter

7. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    I will be blunt, Overlord is actually told in a lot of perspective. So the story progresses and the world building along with side characters and NOT with Ainz. Take note on that.

People are acostuméd with MC POV but OVERLORD besides the 3 first volumes is not told through Ainz perspective but side characters like the Lizards or Climb or Brain Unglauss etc....

Seriously guys if you don't like world building then stop watching overlord.

Raneday, MrSplashy, ayyshadow and 5 others like this.
  8. tekkage

tekkage Childish Boomer.

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your well needed and sought opinion. I don't know what I would have done without it Mr.Bait.

Shance likes this.
  9. Matamaru

Matamaru [Kuuu~][100% a trap]

Reading List:
    Link
    The only reason why we got lizard arc is because of sexy lizard time and shallchair

tekkage likes this.
  10. tekkage

tekkage Childish Boomer.

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked it. Overlord has top notch world building. Although ending was bit anticlimactic but I understand that for sorcerer kingdom this all is necessary.

11. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed the Lizard arc, especially in the manga. The author did really well to portray the lizards, one of them made me think he was the mc of a complicated lone hero novel. That guy was a renegade, he chose to abandon his culture, his tribal laws and voluntarily travel the world to search for modern methods to improve his home. He chose to be an outcast for the greater good of his people, he was a thorough warrior and went through hardships.... also, the love story was hilarious.
    The author basically did a cliche (even though it was better than most cliched love story) love story of a hero and his struggles. The determination, the sacrifice for others and the despair when survival is on the line.

seabuckthorn and Zalpha like this.
  12. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    There is one thing about Overlord that Anime-only fans probably want: Action. Heck, they only came for the action but they didn't get it, so they hate it. For novel readers then it's one thing, but Anime-only then mostly just came for the actions. Even season 1 mostly gained it fame from the Great Animated Fights rather than the story itself.
    I will be honest, the lizardman arc was the most boring arc to me compare to the latter arcs. It was the only arc I skimmed through most of them until the confrontation.

13. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    this guys gets it
    The author likes to add depth and character to characters that will be slaughtered and makes the climax way more interesting which is why it's such a fun read
    I agree that the arc is a bit boring relative to the other arcs but it's still good imo
    It serves to develop the insect guardian's character for a bit which is also really nice
    Plus the anime is really better than the light novel in this arc( was kind of a chore to read vol 4 but then it got interesting)

Zalpha likes this.
  14. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped the Overlord ln/wn largely because of the lizard arc. Before that I could make myself believe that Ainz was an anti-hero with some insecurities who had to take sometimes nasty actions out of necessity. The lizard arc showed me that he was nothing more than the usual villain written as the mc of a story trampling down all others on his journey to success. There are already too many such people in real life, I have no interest reading something like this in my fiction.

otaku31 and Jastolus like this.
  15. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read the 9th volume, oh damn lol

Well he is kind of an OP villian really, sometimes I think it's a bit much but it's still enjoyable nonetheless
    But hey everyone has their own tastes so dropping it might have been the right choice for you

16. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    lizard arc was ok, the climb part is what annoyed me

17. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    This arc is cocytus debut. People don't want this arc. Cocytus is sad.
    The six fingers or whatever arc is sebas and demiurge debut.

18. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't gotten around to reading the LN yet (those top novels with 1000+ chapters to read take a long time to get through). I personally love the first season so much that I have watched it well over 5 times. (It isn't the action that holds me but the stroy and setting). I am really looking forward to the Lizard arc, I enjoyed episode 2 with their love at first sight interaction. The graphics/art where great, loving that each of the Lizards have their own theme/design. Their individual body types and location with building architectural types each being unique to them is really awesome. Looking forward to seeing the others and where the story goes.

19. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Watching:blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn:

20. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the lizard arc is decent as a story, but... It doesn't really work well as part of Overlord.

Here's the problem: They're all insignificant characters for the main storyline. You go into it knowing that they'll be conquered or destroyed, and either way none of the characters will be significant after the end of the arc. If it were much shorter you could have gotten the same amount of world-building and development for major characters like Cocytus.

Meh, if you were going to do it this way, go all the way and do it almost entirely from outsiders' POV without looking into Ainz's mind at all after the prologue. Just glimpses of what these villains are doing while the good guys try (and fail) to save the world from the onslaught of the lich and his minions.

myoniyoni, bob3002 and Nyanko like this.