Discussion Overrated novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ZhaWarudo, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    TDG is a mess, Ive hated it first
    LLS is just.. insult girls into liking you. perfect example of fck logic. i hate it
    WDQK is generic, but no harem. yay~
    Swallowed Star.. had hopes for it, but then it went full space. shit
    king avatar. hey.. look here. esports is a thing. but it is boring..
    others i wobt bother reading

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  2. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    lol all I said is ..tn tn tn repeating that short one line comment : people say there isn't such a thing as overrated.... how you got your ridiculous assumption out of that is beyond me.
    Pretty sure he got the job and did nothing but played that game, maybe he worked like an hour a day.

3. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    The King's Avatar is a good comedy.

4. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Just curious if you read beyond the early chapters or are just rejecting it because of the premise?, since the "gets girls" part is one of the most misleading statements possible for a story that doesn't really have any romance at all.
    While I can understand not taking a story serious because of it being about someone sitting and playing an mmorpg, but I don't see why a story about virtual reality would be better at all, to me that is usually worse since that tend to just be an excuse for the author not to show the real life portions of the story without realising he might as well just write a straight up fantasy.

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  5. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    he played game 99% of the time with occasional customer tending...how do u think he finished lvl70 so fast in the new server....

Mahou-nii-sama and ZhaWarudo like this.
  6. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember, I said probably gets the girls though. There are some virtual realites with good real life plot.

7. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Assumptions of what? You said people aren't willing to have a conversation with you, everyone replying to this thread is. Not everyone agrees with your opinions; this isn't an assumption, I don't. As for butthurt, other then you I haven't seen one person upset at others.

And all people are saying about things being "overrated" is that it is an opinion. A subjective opinion at that. How you can't accept that is beyond me.

Slayerwolfx2 and WeaselLord like this.
  8. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Coiling Dragon, Reincarnator, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

9. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Against the Gods
    The only reason I can think of for it's overrated rating is because the author actually knows how to write drama despite characters are lame, better said is only an improved version of Martial God Asura.

My beautiful Teacher.
    Absolute trash, no diferent from any other cultivation novel only in modern world and stupid long arcs quest to save a new girl who MC just met and get the unconditional love. UGH

Long Live Summons
    It should have only 3 stars, no consistence, a lot of thing happen without making any sense, and most of the character seem to be retarded.

10. GrimReeFer

GrimReeFer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How did you not mention, everyone else is a returnee? That story is written like it was made by 5 year old.

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure I could even start to list all the novels I consider overrated, I would probably have to write down nearly all xianxia, xuanhuan, isekai and stories with game elements of any kind that are listed in the top500 or so on NU.
    Even TKA I would probably consider a bit overrated if I didn't like the characters enough to ignore the more negative parts.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    His work is mostly waiting for new customers, doing nothing;
    He only has to actively interact with them when a new one comes or when he needs something like drink or snacks.

Let's say the cafe has 30 computers for rent, and he needs a minute per customer. That leaves him 7.5 hours per shift to play games.

Nothing strange about that - lots of sales jobs are mostly just idling.

13. Fares

Fares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...
    It depends on the author...when writing something original you need experience and a lot of time to make it interesting after all if it was easy then everyone will do it that why there is a lot of novels that start unique but lose its charm after few chapters..so true fans of it will still love the novel even after its downfall out of loyalty maybe?..Or it's maybe just not to your liking something like too much gore or slow plot progress etc...
    This is my personal opinion but for the novels i LOVE it's because i feel the author really put a significant amount of time and effort in every chapter to make it interesting and unique.Though he probably did it for money but let's be positive...

14. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Defry wrote a wall of butthurt, I did not say everyone, but I don't want to converse with you, you just think whatever you want, you gonna get my meaning wrong anyway.
    It's kinda alright and I think it was funny, though sure it is overrated, ain't supposed to be 2nd place? Far from it.
    And he gets a room,food and money for that?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  15. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    A thread to trash talked?:blobsalt:
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:
    *insert all top novels on NU site here*:blobowoevil_horns:

WeaselLord likes this.
  16. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does this thread exist anyway? It just a rant at best and defaming at worst.

OP list a bunch of novel that he consider overrated, so what? It doesn't give feedback to the author, it won't make the stories better and it doesn't give any impact to the community.

If you don't like it, then move on to other novel

WeaselLord and GDLiZy like this.
  17. Wayang Emperor The First

Wayang Emperor The First 《The First Loli》《Cute Little Kid♡》

Reading List:
    Link
    You read to much novel dude so of course it will become overrated but for some new reader well... not really.

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  18. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, pls link those threads with profound purposes and meanings then.

19. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok well if overrated is really a thing then so be it. Technically I don't care people's opinions when I pick up novels to read, although I do read their reviews/ratings. Tough, if you ask me then the better question is probably 'what popular novels has bad story' rather than 'overrated novels'. Whether those 2 are the same thing or not, I will leave it to people's opinions

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In general, I don't like the idea of saying things are overrated. The very concept of it means that the reputation of a thing is greater than the objective quality of what that thing deserves. It's problematic on the scale of thinking that there's any point in trying to determine what the objective quality of a thing is, and because we end up discussing the reputation of said thing rather than its actual qualities.

I find that these kinds of discussions are more effectively summed up as, "this thing is popular but I don't like it." Honestly, it'd be more fruitful to just talk about things that you don't like in certain books.

That said, to be more on topic, I'm still reading through "the Grandmaster Strategist", and it's not living up to my expectations at all. It's not actually a bad book: the prose is pretty good, the characters are pretty decent, even the plot isn't too bad. The problem is that I'm not finding it very engaging, and so I've been reading at a very slow pace; less than a tenth of what my fast pace is. I suspect that the writing style is the main problem.

On the subject of writing styles, it feels like the conversational 2ch-esque writing is predominant among Syosetu novels. And I hate it. It feels like the writer doesn't know how to use paragraphs. It's even worse when translators use a literal translation for this kind of material. It's a blessing whenever I see writers use proper sentences or if translators make the effort of rewriting it.

Slayerwolfx2 and renuac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.