Parth Rant: The problems with adding originals to NU

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This question keeps popping up, so here's my rant on the topic.
    It's probably not going to happen, for numerous reasons.

If translated novels are like a pile of shit with a few flowers here and there, originals are like a mountain of shit with a few flowers here and there. The vast quantity of originals would cause NU to be flooded with horribly-written novels (this is not me dissing originals, there are definitely some good ones, but be honest, a lot are shitty). If anyone can write a novel and have it added on the site, then you can imagine how congested the feed would become. Now of course there are plenty shitty novels on NU already, but here's the thing. Most of them were screened (probably) by translators. That buffer would not be present with originals.

Now some of you may say, "Why not make requirements of quality and blah blah blah?". Here's the thing: Humans are extremely defensive about their work and their opinions. I can see the barrage of morons ranting all over this here forum, complaining about why NU didn't accept their work. And that's if we can ever regulate it. There are currently about 7-8 active mods. We can't handle the flood that would ensue from adding originals to site.

Overall, I just see the whole thing as an unnecessary nuisance. Either we open the floodgates and let all that sewage in, or we restrict it and have to deal with a-holes, neither of which I want to do. Of course, my opinion doesn't really matter. This is just my thoughts on the matter. Would it be great if NU could also have originals? Yeah...if I was just a reader. As a moderator, I do not look forward to that day.

Edit: even with filtering guys, would the ratings keeps up with new additions?
    Edit 2: remember that the rating system is broken.
    Edit 3: this thread is all about how adding originals is probably not gonna happen...keep dreaming, dreamers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Steam greenlight was steam's solution to opening the floodgates without letting the shit flow in. though I agree that its definitely too much extra work with little benefit for you guys.

3. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes sense. I can see how this could easily become a nightmare.

4. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I agree with Parth. There would be shitty original novels and it would be a waste of data and allocation to add them.

5. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, even as just a reader I don't want originals on this site. For basically the same reasons, except replace "Moderating that shit would be awful" with "Wading through that shit would be awful". If it were exclusive to steadily, regularly updated works that had developed a certain fanbase, I'd be game, but... anyone and anything? Hard pass. Too much shit cluttering the update feed. Make a different sister site for it if people really want it, leave NU alone.

6. LightOrNot

LightOrNot Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8.

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems entirely reasonable. NU was made for a purpose, and that purpose is translated asian novels.

7. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot fewer video games being made than web novels being written I would wager.

8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    While I do agree that the feeds shouldn't be mixed it still would be nice to borrow the general setup for a english originals section/site.

Astaroth, Arcturus and Nom de Plume like this.
  9. MantouInv

MantouInv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh having originals on NU isn't even needed, cant you use RRL or smth for that?

10. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's something like a different viewing mode, then sure. But I feel like even then it comes down to how are you going to keep track of new novels that are just starting up.

Not to mention it will take quite a while to get all of the current "good" novels added.

As to your worries about quality, we have ratings and reviews so that people know if the novel is any good.

neoshadow likes this.
  11. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be possible! But it needs resources.

neoshadow likes this.
  12. CoffeeMonk

CoffeeMonk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You add orginal novels in, this website will die.

13. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    You could, but I find it hard to find new novels on RRL. Granted, I spent only around five or ten minutes looking in total at the site, but when I couldn't find anyway to search by genre.... Well, I gave up after that.

So having a way to more accurately search for novels like you can here, is definitely beneficial.

Astaroth likes this.
  14. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TDG is #1 and ATG is #2. my trust is a little weak. my main concern is just being flooded with 1's and 2's. even if they are lowly rated, they will clog the feed nonetheless.

Dusk, Chiaroscuro, Risus and 5 others like this.
  15. xlefr7

xlefr7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    novelupdatesoriginals.com? Or keep it author/editor submission only and automatically disable/filter original composition for all accounts so users would have to enable manually?

neoshadow likes this.
  16. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    They have RRL for that.

17. sohaile199

sohaile199 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if the RRL originals get completed like Andur's, then fine. but even the originals that have good fan base and reviews tend to drop them without saying they are dropping it.

neoshadow and runsing like this.
  18. Arcares

Arcares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't agree and I don't disagree. Simply because you can do something like what Aho-updates has and split the two up. Though there are always going to be problems with everything such as this. I'm not saying it needs to be Nuf but it would be nice to see a semi pro/amateur novel site that doesn't just bury original works in that mountain of shit you speak off. For example: RRL is the worst way to finding novels ever, not to mention that it's a sure dump of novels that are exactly what you speak off.

neoshadow and Astaroth like this.
  19. Ophis

Ophis 『God Slayer』 『Dragon God』 『Harem Seeker』

Reading List:
    Link
    We already have RRL for that. NU is good as it is, no need to change.

20. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe making a way to filter the lower ratings out in the update feed as you would with searching could solve that problem.

neoshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.