Pc community gotten alot bigger. And why so may people buy pc instead of smartphone last year.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, Jan 18, 2020.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally I see people getting new pcs and new parts and pc markets have never have so glorious before.
    I'll write a short post about the computer development this few years as a start of the the new decade, and hope that the PC development is better than the last decade. at least that's horrible.

People a finally upgrading their 440BX, pentium III and mx460. Seriously, those specs can't even run windows Vista (windows Vista suck) but can run windows 7(surprisingly). And people finally get away from those parts. and surprising it can runs wiindows 10 32bits after heavily modding the bios and things. not sure how it works but those monsters did it. I thought they are going to trow those away, maybe they want to continue using their 20 year old machine and just upgrade to windows 10....... I'm speechless.....just get an amd Athlon, that's less than 20 bucks......

the horrible earlier of the last decade.
    As I said that pc markets are glowing very slowly. Partly due to less compativie markets. Intel have no real performance improvement in 2nd gen sandy bridge 2011, to kaby lake 2016. And have being in 14nm ever since the Haswell. Indeed there is a architecture change since the haswell, the famous E5v3s are all from haswell. But for desktop there is no thing noticeably changed.

6th gen skylake 2015, that's the year of non-k processors get to overclock, also known as bclk overclocking. Asrock never fails to amazes us. And those boards just need to update bios to supports the 8th and 9th gen intel cpus. Which provide us the old and affordable motherboards. 6th gen also allows hardware accelerattion of h.265 encoding, but only partial of it. many of functions only added in 7th gen kaby lake.

And 8th gen 2018, that where intel increases their cores by 50%, which is a 50% improvements. And that's huge. As not even your smart phones get 50% improvement a year. Promting apple to use it in the new iPad pro and claim that it's faster than all laptop releases in 2017... And they cheat the consumers 2000+ usd.

After that still in 2018, amd release the zen+. This is huge step toward the pc markets, it make building amd pc less strange of the normal average person.
    In turba there is one dude build an amd cpu pc in his university campus in 2017 due to budget issues the news got spread to everyone and every one in the campus come and watch as amd is just a rare sights as no one builds them anymore.

After that intel release the 9th gen early 2019, adding 2 cores in I7. Removing the Hyper threading. Earlier last year.
    Last year, early 2019 micron also release their new rev. E DIE the c9bjz. It give the pc builders a new reason to overclocking their rams as it cost almost the same with normal rams, this die also comes with the green pcb sticks.
    Screenshot_20200118_143742_com.android.gallery3d.png
    Msi toppc and asus bing also use this die to broke the world record of over 6000nhz first time in both intel and amd platforms.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/overclocking-ram-sticks.93284/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/show-off-4400mhz-ram-stick-overclock.97189/

8th and 9th gens are really value for money, as it can use the old motherboard. And without any compromised. I have talk about it here

Then, amd release their 3000 series zen2 later half of 2019. Which heavily benefit from fast rams and fclks. For the first time I and some of my friends teach, or guide people how to overclock rams hundreds of people at once in an private group chats. And we really go forwards and some of us even buys new mother boards to test their limited and recommendations. Which we quickly refund after testing... (we are poor).

Anyway this few years pc building markets are huge, it really made E5v3 and x99 losing out on its ground. I was looking to get a 2 way x79 for a server and I'm now having mix feeling to go for intel E5v2 or Amd ryzen.

This year at CES, both Intel and Amd have promise great things, and amd stock have went back 48 dollars in 2003. As a amd fan boy in Athlon64 and an Amd haters in bulldozer, I'm having a really mix feelings, if nothing change, I might build my own server with 2way x79 with ddr3 reg ecc memories instead of Ryzen consumer desktop parts.

2. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, I think the competition between PC and smartphone is not mainly due to performance...

xiazixin likes this.
  3. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Sound fair... Also it's like compare car and bike with obviously different, try compare 1k smartphone and 1k PC, performance different is por farr:blobReach:

xiazixin likes this.
  4. Star2185

Star2185 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m pretty sure people are not choosing one over the other.
    PCs and smartphones have completely different usages and people will choose the one that fit their needs best.

pc sales might have gone up due to windows 7 end of life. For example.

xiazixin and girisuherman like this.
  5. dohaeris

dohaeris Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    smartphone performance has plateaued, sure you get nice things like notchless displays but a top phone of a few years ago is still pretty usable. Bar missing firmware upgrades, but still.

Edit: also, people apparently waiting for 5G phones too

xiazixin likes this.
  6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a number of factors that go into the replacement cycle for smartphones and PCs.

Until 2018, the PC landscape had been largely stagnant since Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge. No increase in core count and only modest generation improvements in frequency and IPC left most people underwhelmed with their upgrade paths. During that time, AMD had also been stagnant with value-oriented CPUs which were unable to compete with Intel's CPUs. Most people only upgrade their PC when they have to. Any processor in the Core series can run any modern version of Windows, as well as office applications and web browsing.

Starting in 2018, AMD launched Ryzen and finally forced Intel to release CPUs that were actual upgrades to the 5- and 10-year-old processors they were using. This has lead to a renaissance in the CPU sector, which is driving new PC purchases.

Smartphones are another story. With continually rising prices for even smaller innovations, most people are holding onto their phones for 3, 4, or 5 years instead of the 1- or 2-year upgrade cycle in early- and mid-2010's. Couple that with nearly complete market saturation, and you have a recipe for disaster. The next big thing that might get some people to upgrade is 5G, but the improvement in 5G isn't nearly as big as the jump from 3G to 4G, so I'm not holding my breath on phone sales skyrocketing in the same way as when 4G became widely available.

xiazixin likes this.
  7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently the chips only increase 10 to 15% for smartphones, and adding extra cameras, updating gorilla glass(now you don't even need screen protector), wider screen curves, adding idk some composite back plates?, upgrade AX networks cards, remove on board sound cards/DAC chips. Adding more rams, more ssd storage, bigger batteries, faster charging.

There is basically not much improvement now. They have a DAC chips for speakers and why can't they made an 2.5mm LO aways wonders me.

Well, alot of people are still using 2nd generation cpu, they are fine. But the improvement 2nd gen 2600k to 9700k is huge, more than twice the performance (a bit more with avx2, quick sycn and other things) with nvme vs sata3, ax200 networks, USB 3.2 vs USB 3 and tons of other things.

While last year compare huawei kirin 980 vs kirin 990 it's just like comparing 8100f with 9100f. There is little differences for pc but no difference for mobile phone as phones are unlock, and can be overclocked, just overclock your self at home and free upgrades. Yes, processors in your phone can be overclocked, that's why they sell functions like turbos/boosting and things. Even if you don't overclock, you also only lose out less than 10% of performance.

There is a slight improvement on glass and 1 extra cameras and some minor functions but I don't think it's worth the cost. It cost a freaking 1300+ usd with such minor improvement that I don't need. While I can improve my Pc by twice the performance last years. All the consumer are not fools, and last year is a good time to upgrade the long overdue pc.

The sale of mother board online is huge, many "official partners" non official store have sales over 5 digits a months for a single models. While Mobile phone markets is just horrible, except huawei which have a single digit growth (which is horrible) all other brands suffer from a drop of sales up to 30~40%.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Yeah, it's all coming together..

Snowbun and xiazixin like this.
  9. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    So what to expect this year, as epic process got more stable, it have release for 2 years without any issues.
    Big companies are looking towards epyc processes to save cost, and out date the old system earlier at later this year.
    Its expectedt to see a deep drop in the price of x99 1s 2s 3s and 4s.
    And maybe a deep drop of E5 1660v4,
    With even lower ddr4 reg ecc. Dam those ram is already dirt cheap.

It might be a good idea to keep a lookout at price of e5v3, I recommend E5 1660v4. 8core 16 threads, can be overclocked. It should perform a bit better than 3700x if it can overclock to all cores 4.8 or 5ghz. And slightly faster than 9900k with more pcie and ram channels.
    The price might drop early this August to next year's.

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With the 64-core Epyc processors costing $2000+ less than Intel's highest-end 28-core Xeon, Epyc is looking to dominate the server scene in the coming years unless Intel can afford to release a part with similar specs at a competitive price (Spoiler: They can't).

Coming from basically 0% of the server market as recently as 2016, AMD is poised to have around 10% market share by the end of this year. The enterprise server market moves slowly. It's practically unheard of for anything to go from 0% to 10% adoption in just a few years.

11. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. RenitMasi

RenitMasi New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :D:D:D:D

xiazixin likes this.