People are really judgemental (whining)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HentMas, Mar 28, 2022.

1. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is a fantasy?

Isn't it another world where we can dive in and indulge yourself on things that we know we could never do or have in real life?

Why must people think I would love to murder someone or gouge their eyes out just because I enjoyed She Retaliated Because Her Entire Family Was Wrongfully Executed. And Thoroughly at That! - Novel Updates?
    I would never kill anyone...

Or that a romance novel with a big age gap like The Best is Saved for Last - Novel Updates is about a pedo-groomer and that if I liked it, that makes me one my self...

I don't mind if people can't read dark stories about revenge, or scene of hard R being described, NTR, dark fantasy, themes that aren't mainstream and obviously not for kids, hell, with all the books under my belt even I have some things that I can't read about because I can't endure them...

But I would never point at someone that enjoys those things and say "You want to be a mass murderer" because they liked Summoned Slaughterer - Novel Updates or whatever...

Wasn't the point of a novel to present a story in a world of "fantasy"... ya know, where "fantastical" things happen, as in... not real?

Hell I love writing, I've written a few things my self and I don't usually write about dark themes but I love to read them.

I still remember that parody site that made a pretend "OREIMO" interview of the "sister" of the author where she "chastises" him for being a disgusting "bro-con", I genuinely laughed at it, but then, does that mean people think he genuinely wanted to pork his sister?!?!?!?

Every time people come into the comments section of a novel and write something like "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS THIS THING THAT I CAN'T ENDURE AND WHOEVER READS THIS IS A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING"

Whatever happened to empathy?... you are not supposed to "judge" people, you acknowledge the difference and move on, you don't know them, why judge? and over something as simple as a novel...

What are your thoughts about this???

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you may need to start taking your meds again.

3. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    why? I just wanted to chat...

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's also in fantasy that the majority of characters can acknowledge differences and move on without being judgmental. Opinions, as much as they serve to express the individuality and free will of the person who has them, also seek to curb the same spirit in others who do not possess the same views. :blobexpressionless:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  5. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    From what you've said so far, it seems like you've read some comments left by weirdos on the internet stating that anyone who likes x work is y type of person. These are random people on the internet. They are not interacting with or judging actual people, just making a blanket statement which is an infinitely easier task. So throw empathy and judgment away, it's just some people without a life making a dumb comment. It is not directed at you and thus of no importance.

And those tend to be the poorly written fantasies.

6. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh, well, I was making a broad interpretation, I was posting in a story about something and someone straight up got in and began to judge me, and it got me thinking about this phenomenon, so the post.

I know it's unimportant, I was just bored and wanted to post something... it's not like I feel personally offended... I just don't understand that particular mindset.

7. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignore them. Everyone has different views on certain things, just because someone thinks this way, does not mean that others will think the same. Additionally, since this is online, people tend to state their opinions on certain things more (even if it’s dumb), so it’s better to just ignore them and move on.

HentMas likes this.
  8. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Saying that because you like some type of fiction must mean that you'd do it is nonsense obviously. That being said it's annoying to see people say things like it's fiction/fantasy to handwave away bad writing or a terrible MC.

9. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    I once got a someone telling me I liked fascism because I was happy with the portrayal of a "prince" not letting the MC get away with her scheme (I'll save this damned family)... what??? I even said "he's an asshole" but somehow that made me like fascisms or something hahaha

10. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like someone who doesn't know what a fascist means. Also sounds like someone whose opinion doesn't matter.

11. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally enjoy sharing opinions and ideas, but I don't particularly debate, I try to have conversations, ultimately I know they won't change my mind and I know I won't change theirs, but the whole notion of "clashing ideas" to see "which one wins" as in a debate always was irksome to me (I'm Méxican, we don't really debate), whenever someone starts like this I feel like he thinks we're playing "beyblade" or "pokemon" or something.

12. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You'll become a murderer/x/... is an old worry of moms for their gaming children, not an arguement. However, tendencies exist. If you specifically like pedo-groomer genre lol, then it ain't just because it's fantasy coz there's nothing fking fantastical about it, it's a wet dream and if the world culturally accepted that shit you'd probably cheer. Way different than shooting guns or spells without danger and horror.
    How edgy are edgexia readers? Have you seen your average xianxia buffon? "MC didn't kill a little girl? What a pussy beta MC!"
    (not saying they'd kill anyone, just that they are not separate from the edginess of the genre)

How did you understand what they were trying to say? o_O

Munimuyi, Baldingere and mir like this.
  13. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    That person needs to go back to school or open up a dictionary and learn what fascist means before trying to say something because now they just sound dumb.

mangoberry and HentMas like this.
  14. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if you're the same kind of person that thinks a story is about a "pedo-groomer" because he accepted a princess that was going to be thrown out and she fell in love with him, without him trying to... you do realize that a "groomer" haves to... ya know, "groom" a little girl for her to fall for him, right? as in, his intention from the start was that?

Read Lolita for context... Yes Lolita is a good story, yes, that guy IS a groomer.

talking/reading about bad things in a story doesn't make yourself "bad", there is slavery and racism prominently in Harry Potter and no one cared... and I would hardly call the kids that enjoyed harry potter racists.

15. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Because that's how humans are. They can't stomach others having different opinions from them, thinking different. I'm sure there are places where you are the same too

Munimuyi likes this.
  16. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Pedo-grooming is unfortunatelly common in SI fanfiction, I am following a few stories and have criticized this but it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm saying, if someone liked that shit specifically and read a dozen or more such stories, you isekai them and they will pedo groom I bet.
    Wouldn't even mind so much if authors admited it, instead of justifying with : shinobi are more mature, MC let them be until 16 except grooming them...

17. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First thing, empathy dosen't mean that you should be ok with everything that someone does. It just means that you understand others persons perspective.

But I also agree with the fact that peopole should always be respectful whatever they belives are.

And peopole who write stuff like that are the so called vocal minority. You see peopole with good opinnions too it just that you focus on the bad and loud ones.

Munimuyi and mir like this.
  18. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm... I read about EVERYTHING... but I'm not familiar with SI fanfiction... I've being in a "smart/revenge" binge lately, but I would hardly consider my self a "vengeful" person, I don't know, I can't really see my self judging others because they read something like that, I was once in a "gorey" phase, heck when I was a teenager I binged all the Marquiss de Sade stories and found them fascinating, and believe me I would never do any of the things they did in "those" stories.

Well, I generally don't mind them, but when they straight up begin replying to me I try to understand... which ends up with me being drained, which gets me whining in forums in Novel Updates seeking for a more amicable conversation.

Munimuyi and Baldingere like this.
  19. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I think erotica is different here, if people can get away with it, there is a greater chance they will try. Of course some erotica is pure fantasy forever no matter what same as murder etc., but mostly these boundaries are easier crushed.
    Look at Mushoku Tensei, I think that's exactly what it shows? (I didn't watch or read coz it's unwatchable/unreadable/disgusting character but I got the summary).

Mr gentleman likes this.
  20. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    oof... I don't consider "Marquiss de Sade" Erotica... that one was straight up perverse...

And I haven't seen Mushoku Tensei, but well, the whole "grooming" part that most people claim is "grooming" really isn't... and age gaps (mentally or otherwise) aren't really an issue in my culture.