PlayStation 4 System Update 8.0: Hate it, or REALLY hate it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by psyque, Oct 14, 2020.

?

What do you think about the PlayStation 4 system update 8.0

Poll closed Oct 17, 2020.
  1. I hate it

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I really hate it

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I don't like Sony anyway

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Where's the beef?

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Actually, I think these changes improve matters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I do not use Sony or the PlayStation Network

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am a Sony user but don't use the PSN social features

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  8. I think the OP is a riajuu and should go explode.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got the System Update version 8.0 for my PS4 today and boy howdy do I hate it. Not only did they break the friends list and social networking system, but they changed how Party Chat works.

Now, instead of creating a private or public party and inviting people to it, you have to create a group, invite people to it, and create a chat from there. No longer can you just go looking for public chats with your friends in them. This makes playing MMOs much more exclusive, and less social.
    And since your system saves all of the groups you've formed, your group-list can quickly fill up with groups formed for one purpose, and soak up your system memory maintaining said groups even if you only planned on using them once. Then, you have to go through and 'leave' all the groups you don't need.

Other changes include eliminating the ability for individuals to create events on the calendar, which makes large organizations like guilds and leagues harder to manage through the PSN.

Here's the official announcement.

So what do others think about this? Do any of you have a positive opinion about the changes? Have you already encountered issues?

Astaroth and Wowafay like this.
  2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I never used those features. I use Discord instead it's easier since most of my friends already have it we can all get on pretty easily.

Kansuou, Westeller and Sir Laffsalot like this.
  3. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I manage a discord server for my MMO alliance, but that limits me to who can use it and doesn't include my entire PSN friend's list. I created 7 new voice channels just so those players can switch over if they want.
    I do love Discord and the features it has implemented so far, but it is not as convenient for casual social networking while in an MMO game.

Kansuou likes this.
  4. Sir Laffsalot

Sir Laffsalot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're going to do a vote, you need to include all facets, not just the hateful ones. You only include 4 negative (really construding as hateful choices), and one positive, which is literally immature and stupid.

As for me, I could care less about the update, as I don't use the chat, or use PS for social functions, period.

Edit: Okay, "Where's the beef" can be interpreted as, "It's fine," so 3 negative, 1 neutral, 1 positive. Change one of the negatives to a not applicable type of answer and get rid of "I don't like Sony," as it doesn't apply to the subject. A vote requires balance in its choices. This is pretty much one sided.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Wowafay likes this.
  5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    It's your own fault for having friends, you riajuu.

Westeller and Sir Laffsalot like this.
  6. Sir Laffsalot

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. Love your gif.... it's a real gift. ::)
    Yup, I can see that this thread will only be getting negative feedback towards OP.... ;)

Poor, poor OP... :cry:

elengee likes this.
  7. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The poll was meant to be more of a humorous addition to the thread discussion, and less of an actually gathering of opinions. I can see your point though, if I were actually interested in the poll results, your suggestions would be very helpful.
    However, I cannot actually change the questions at this point, only add more options to the list and allow people to change their vote.

I have been talking to other PSN users and looked at the sony blog comments. I have yet to find any actual positive opinions about these changes, which is part of why I posted the way I did.
    I can also not find any good reasons for why Sony made these changes. I've heard speculation about it, that this is supposed to help them with liability and tracking complaints regarding abusive players, but I really don't know if that's the case or that this system would help that in any meaningful way.

Sir Laffsalot likes this.
  8. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I updated the poll so you can vote that option now!

9. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone that plays alone, I really don't care about the new changes. I'm curious about the changes to communities, the part where you can't make them private anymore, but that's it.

New avatars sounds cool though.

10. Sir Laffsalot

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, okay. I apologize then. There really are some immature who it seriously. I will remove the derogatory statements. And thank you for changing the options. Please, by all means keep the others, and just add the one that is neutral, please.

Again, I apologize for not seeing the humor of it.

Edit: I just saw the choice changes, and now, THAT, I can take as it being humorous. ROFLMAO

psyque likes this.
  11. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not worried about it, you do you Sir!
    I don't think I could post in forums if I took things too seriously.

12. Sir Laffsalot

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, had you added silly replies like that last one, then I would have seen it as being something being done in fun. I've set up silly polls myself, but to let others know that it wasn't something that was intended to be seen as something other than being in good fun, I'd ad some totally off the wall choices. After all, how do you think I got my name? ;)

13. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have friends on psn, but I just send them discord invites if it really is needed.

14. Ettoine

Ettoine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't tell to be honest. I just installed the update so I can play Genshin impact daily quests.... I don't remember but I think I mistook the games update with the ps4 update. Or viceversa who knows~