Request Plea for Good Reviews

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AMissingLinguist, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I'm @AMissingLinguist. I've been away from NUF for a while. I come back now and then to look at updates and check up on my favorite novels.

Enough about me. This thread is about finding good reviews on @NU. What is considered a "good review" can be found here.
    Edit: my link is not useful for actual book reviews, but is similar to what I'm looking for.
    Here's a summary.
    1) Review length
    2) Spelling and grammar
    3) Include relevant details
    4) Do not include non-relevant details
    5) Do not write any inflammatory remarks
    6) Negative reviews should still be good

To be direct, can anyone recommend me some nuffians on NU who typed good reviews? Many thanks! :aww::aww::aww:

(Since I'm starved for blobs. Here's some more!) :aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpeek::blobangel::blobangel::blobangel::blobangel::blobangel::blobokhand::blobokhand::blobokhand::blobokhand::blobok::blobok::blobok::blobok::blobicecreamlove::blobicecreamlove::blobicecreamlove::blobrofl::blobphone::blobok::blobfistbumpL::blobfistbumpR::blobhighfive::blobshh::blobtongue::blobsweat_2::blobsweat::blobsmilehappy::blobsmile::blobspy:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    LNOnlineOtaku, Ddraig and kenar like this.
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    There's quite a lot of hilarious reviews, but objectively 'good' reviews on the other hand... not that many afaik

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. AMissingLinguist

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with those, if they fit some of the criteria above. Do you have any particular reviews in mind? :hmm:

4. AMissingLinguist

Reading List:
    Link

I'm been too busy doing stuff, but I hope to someday watch it.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
  6. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. AMissingLinguist

Reading List:
    Link
    reighvincent and Ddraig like this.
  8. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehh....

This is incredibly subjective. Of the 6 on the list, number 2 is the only one that could be evaluated with objectivity.

#1 is a very big problem. Most novels reach in hundreds if not thousands of chapters. How can you evaluate a work as big as that in-depth? Do you know how much work it would need? Just reading the entire thing is an huge endeavor itself.

#3 The site talks about time and dates like the older the review the more irrelevant it is. That site clearly doesn't have webnovel reviews in mind when it was written. It was talking about a reviewing a company not a work a fiction.

Still, what is exactly is relevant to the context? Is the speed of translation relevant? Is the format of the website relevant? Are locks and paywalls relevant? Should we evaluate the original or the translation?

Even the site has problems with this: "and do not single out individuals in your review comments." How is a single individual not a relevant information? If that specific person is causing the problem, then that is relevant. Not singling out an individual would cause confusion, or worse, everyone else would be blamed to because of the fault of a single person.

#4 same with #3, the site is talking about reviewing a company, not a work of fiction. Still what details should we examine as irrelevant?

#5. Hah! I have called out many times for being inflammatory for saying that the story was awful or by being blunt. There are people that are just so sensitive that any negative comments are taken as inflammatory. #5 often causes people to just not give a review at all.

#6. Like negative reviews requires special mention. This is an indication of how they don't want a negative review at all. There is an implication that negative reviews are bad or unhelpful. That if you write a negative review you have to be incredibly careful and more detailed and more relevant and what not.

Since triggerk's review is an example of good review let as evaluate a bit:

"Consider today's celebrities spouting such garbage and recall how much it blows up in their face, then realize Zhang Ye is no different."

"The protagonist (ahem, author) is going to take his bullsh*t to the next level eventually, and it's only a matter of when and how the author defends battery."

"#Chinesemasterrace tho am I rite?"

Hmm.

"These are basics ignored by 95% of translation groups that would make any reader roll their eyes at wuxia/xianxia if they passed kindergarten."

Is that inflammatory or not? Is this relevant or not?

"Just kidding, you're paying 70 USD per sponsored chapter!"

Is having a paywall something that should be included in the review?

"Reciting one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish will not, no matter how much the author wants you to believe it."

I don't think this is even a sentence.

Well, your good example seems to be breaking all the criteria in one way or another but still is good... then what is the point of the criteria? You are barely using it to evaluate the review.

Just, really, I don't think there is any point in having this topic.

MangoGuy likes this.
  9. AMissingLinguist

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry if I came off as being hypocritical. My short summary of what I wanted to see in the review were similar to what could be found when reviewing a company. As for @triggerk's review, that was one review that I found useful as a review since it really goes in-depth about details form the story, which hits #3. You're comment is also really well written, and is exactly how I believe a review should be. Again, sorry if I came off as stupid or ignorant.

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Mango Certified™ are the best reviews by @MangoGuy

AMissingLinguist and Blitz like this.
  11. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Pay me for good reviews :sushi_cool: jk lol

Though honestly I don't know what to write for reviews so rarely even writes them :blobcheeky:

12. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Those who write a review after having finished 1200+ chapters are pretty good imo though in some cases a review after 100 chapters stating that it sucks is also an excellent review. I dont care if it "gets good" chapter 300 if the first 299 sucks.

13. reighvincent

reighvincent Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The trend of people giving 1 star just to give 1 star has been pretty bad lately so it would be great if more people gave proper reviews instead of just throwing out stars so readers can actually figure out if a novel is good. There are even really bad novels given high star counts possibly rated by bots or fake accounts that if I did not read the reviews I would have fell for. God and Devil World for example is absolute garbage and I read 500+ chapters to give it benefit of the doubt before finally figuring out the rating was being padded because most of the written reviews hated the novel.

A good written review lets readers know the flaws and strengths of the novel as well if the translator is good. There is a couple of really good novels I have ended up writing a poor review for because the translator was just that bad. If the readers do not warn other readers as well as the other translators of bad translations it is possible some really good master pieces will be tarnished forever in English version.

16. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
  17. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not to say you can't, or we can't.

But there aren't enough complete materials.

I'm guilty of reading up to 100-200 chapters, sometimes 10-13 and say "this has potential".

The only problem is, for some, its a hit or miss.

Now I just write my reviews somewhere, and review it, only to publish it once i'm truly done reading the entire thing.

Previous works i've read, i'll just keep it as it is.

But for most works i'm still following, they're either discontinued, or like in the case of Qidian / gravity published, idgaf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.