Feature Request Please add Translation % feature to search

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Mavsynchroid, May 5, 2019.

1. Mavsynchroid

Mavsynchroid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys, I'm always coming back to the series finder on this site to look for novels that have been recently completely translated. Of course, there aren't a lot of that.

So, what i look for next are novels that are CLOSE to being completely translated. This made me want a feature that can show us the percentage of completion for the novels. For example, if a novel hypothetically had 1,000 chapters and 995 of them have been translated already, it would be at or very close to the top of the list when using this search filter. It could get a bit janky if the novel had only like 10 chapters and 9 of them have been translated, but I'm pretty sure there's already a filter for the minimum amount of chapters for a novel which would take care of that.

Please consider adding this so we know which novels are ABOUT to be finished!!

boilhats likes this.
  2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a nice idea. This feature won’t work so well with some Webnovel novels though. You know since the chapters don’t show up on NU when they go premium~

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Translators don't always number their releases properly. They may split the chapters into two or more chapters at an inconsistent rate meaning that counting the release number is not a really good method, especially so considering how some raws are still ongoing.
    Next up, unless there is a human doing whatever math is required, it is not really a stable enough thingy to get a program involved but I am not a tech guy so you may discount that opinion.
    If this can be made into a practical feature, then it is amazing. Because finding novels based on chapters released is not the same as finding novels which have 8000 more chapters to go even after 2000 releases.

Nom de Plume and LaDyViL like this.
  4. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds like a good idea, but implementation would be a nightmare. Like everyone else said, not all chapters will appear on NU and not everyone translates a full chapter. Something like this sounds like it would require a more active role from the translator, something I doubt many of them would be willing to do

Nom de Plume likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually impossible to do this...

NU doesn't count how many chapters are there in the raw, nor does it identify what the number of a given release means.

So like... If a translator released chapter 325 recently, NU doesn't know there are 325 chapters translated, it only knows the amount of releases by translators... Which can be any amount depending on rather they split their chapters into parts or not, if there are multiple translators, if there are side stories and stuff...

On the other hand, the number in the COO means as much as "JKHGUJFYITGYF" for NU... In other words, it's gibberish, that number means nothing. It's a completely user-controlled feature that NU's database doesn't keep track of at all...

So... Nice idea, but not possible to implement.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  6. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Although, even if it is user input, it can still be used. It’s just viable to change and open to trolling >.>

Nom de Plume likes this.
  7. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it’s more that input is saved as a string rather than a number. It’s text like saying “seven”. It can be parsed and fixed but it’d be better to do a deeper change

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Mavsynchroid

Mavsynchroid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah... I see...

... So when are you going to implement it?..

o________o