Discussion Please Give Me Your Translator Drama, Gossip, or Just Interesting Stories/Facts

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by remy911, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew they were both guys, but you just made me realize how oddly amusing two guys were fighting over a shoujo novel is. It's almost literally a shoujo manga plot. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

pinkrainmi likes this.
  2. xzpwnz

xzpwnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh, I have a friend (who I will keep anonymous) from a professional Japanese translation/scanlation group called ragdoll.
    The group takes commissions and translates on a per character/page basis. People bring them stuff they want translated and the way they want it translated, and the group decides whether to take the commission or not.
    Anyway, as you can expect they were commissioned to translate A LOT of doujinshi and hentai manga (that was their main type of commission, and they made bank off of it).
    My friend from the group told me that one commission in particular about a few years back asked for a hentai manga chapter to specifically be translated entirely in Bogan English (Australian slang) and the commissioner even paid extra for it. The group had a blast translating this one and played around with diction.
    Next thing you know on the very same day the group finished translating and gave it to the commissioner, the translated hentai manga chapter is up everywhere, and the commissioner used it to troll 4chan and a bunch of other hentai sites.
    This is the legend of how a lot of people who were getting ready to masturbate quickly lost their libido on that day and instead had a laugh.

P.S. Since I know a lot of people will ask, the title of the hentai manga chapter that was translated is:
    Giri no Hahaoya ga Ero Sugiru Ken
    AKA Me Stepmum's Too Fuckin' Hot, Mate

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Barnnn, Fuyuneko, readerz and 5 others like this.
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    5748.png.jpg

4. Tovarisch

Tovarisch Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTLs, they're praised and disdained. Quite a bit of stories surrounding this topic.

2-3yrs back Skythewood translated Knights & Magic and then stopped for awhile. The translation was then picked up by BakaDogeza who MTLd the following chapters and also put a disclaimer about the MTL. Then came the flood of dissatisfied readers and trolls who bashed the TL with walls of texts which were just as vicious as the ones in the forums now. It was quite the sight to those who went to the BakaDogeza. Eventually, readers filtered out and some reached out to help in editing and proofreading.

Overall, there's never a boring day in NUF.

alexfilia likes this.
  5. xzpwnz

xzpwnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a bunch of other translator drama and stories, but they're all ancient since I've been out of the translator scene for years.
    Like how the original LMS translation group on royalroadweed split apart because they thought the site owner Wing wasn't pulling her own weight and attitude, so AmnesicCat, Grisia, and some of the other members left to start their own translation website, Japtem. At that point Wing couldn't really continue translating LMS because of the lack of translators, and decided to cut her losses and convert the website at that time into Royalroadl (which I'm pretty sure everyone here recognizes now as the site for fanfictions).
    Imoutolicious also lost the goldmine that was Overlord, before the novel became a hit in the novel community I kept telling them to prioritize Overlord, but Imoutolicious kept putting it off, focusing on the Korean novels instead and waited nearly a year later to release the prologue. They couldn't spare the resources to commit, so Overlord was picked up by skythewood and the novel took off like crazy.
    PROzess AKA Unlimited Novel Failures also got screwed over by his former scanlation group.
    A few of the more recent? drama include:
    Hiyono vs Elysion
    Xant vs Sousetsuka
    Of course, Qidian vs Wuxiaworld
    I still have a bunch of other old translator drama, maybe I'll post more some other day.

6. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Everybody on NUF already knows it, but for the sake of posterity and a mention for when it all blows over in the future,
    → People fleeing Gravity Tales for Wuxiaworld
    → Qidian vs Wuxiaworld
    → Good Guy Person and a small loa-, sum of a million dollars

EDIT: Also looking at this thread for the first time, it turns out I actually started a lot of fights in the day, huh...

For some actual 'translator gossip' and not just reports on feuds,

@xant reveals on Discord that his prided blonde hair is actually bleached
    @littleshanks publicly confesses that he is gay
    @Scrya finally admits that liking Astolfo does actually make him a homosexual

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    kenar, Arcturus and FortColors like this.
  7. littleshanks

littleshanks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can confirm to you all that @estelion is not in fact a man but a beautiful Japanese high school girl who wants all of you to private message her because she's lonely.

kenar, pinkrainmi, 99 others and 5 others like this.
  8. xant

xant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been found out.

pinkrainmi likes this.
  9. Shratath

Shratath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk how i ended here but wow this thread is been over a year and people still comment here :blobnosebleed:

10. branislavs369

branislavs369 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have one that i remember.
    It all happened a year ago.
    The translator Entruce was asking people for donations for any kind of stuff that happened to him in RL promising people that he will translate faster after all of the RL problem end. Then after these RL problems ended he started to translate again but at the same speed or even slower. And this happened again and again. He basically made up more stories than he translated.

After some time (and people being angry for giving him money and not getting anything back) he announced that he will concentrate on one novel (Ore to Kanojo ga Geboku de Dorei de Shuujuu Keiyaku) and after he translates 2 volumes, it was i think(?), that he will go and translate many chapters of another novel (Maken no Daydreamer) the actual novel i was reading there and i think it was the novel he got the most donations for (if not the first then second place).

But after translating these 2 volumes of the first novel he again needed donations for RL problems and could not translate but he claimed that he has already many chapters ready and that they only need to be edited. After many other things happened he released half a chapter for this novel and stopped translating it...

The other things that happened and the main drama is that some people were pissed off because he took donations, broke promises and made up RL problem after RL problem while saying that he has many chapters translated but not edited.

And these people got together and started to translate the third novel (Kuro no maou) he "translated" (sometimes actively other times from time to time) and that group was Light Novel Bastion. They released the chapters with had a better quality than these of Entruce they held they promises and released chapters actively.
    Entruce wasn't happy with that because no novel = no donations so he decided to write to them, it started a shit storm i think he even took 2 of their chapters and posted them on his site (if i remember correctly) but took them down later because of the hate he got.

It all ended up in LNB growing because of their regular releases and quality of translation and from what i could gather Entruce made up more stories asked for donations but didn't deliver nearly any translated chapters so even his most blinded fans stopped following him, he created a new site because he wanted to start anew but i think even that site is dead now.... you can change the site but not the translator....

PS: that's how i remember it, i have a bad memory so some parts may be a little different and i am sure i missed a lot of things that happened

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    alexfilia likes this.
  11. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread needs to be updated :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

HJC drama, qi vs ww
    Kobatochandaisuki vs elysiel
    But mostly qi :blobowoevil:

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *stares at necromancers*
    *look at new forum rules*

... Meh, you pass. *stares anyway*

Seraphic likes this.
  13. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    We were so naive and innocent back when this thread was in its infancy...

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly? I just read through the whole thread, and I think all the drama mentioned here is a lot more juicy than the whole Qidian drama.

Qidian drama is simple, a translation group got enough money to become a legit company, Qidian saw that this gave money and started competing to also earn money, both sides didn't come to terms on who should get more money and ended up clashing.

That's all there is to it, it's all money money money, translation drama is more juicy because it involves feelings, dedication and passion... Qidian drama is just... Meh.

15. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a fairly nice metaphor, though. When you're young it's all about interpersonal drama and everything seems so juicy and important, and then economic realities crush all the fun out of everything. :blobfrowning:

kenar and AliceShiki like this.
  16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a very pessimistic, but very truthful ways of looking at things.

Well, it can't be helped I guess, at least the majority of the translators can just laugh at the whole drama between companies and mind their own lives without worrying about it~

17. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

no new gossip?:blobwhistle:

18. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    No more?:blobnosebleed:

19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.