Recommendations Please recommend me what you consider good feminist or female friendly animes.

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by CreativeCriticalThinker, Mar 18, 2023.

1. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My favourite Examples:
    • Ghibli Movies by Miyazaki
    • Princess Knight
    • The Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar
    • Sailor Moon (90s + Crystal S1 & S2 anime have problems)
    • Revolutionary Girl Utena
    • Princess Tutu
    • The Twelve Kingdoms
    • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
    • Claymore
    • Boogiepop (Phantom + & Others)
    • Land of the Lustrous
    • Hakumei to Mikochi
    • Shadow House

The Criteria:
    No oversexualizations, child grooming or too much melodrama (over a man).
    Doesn't have to be perfect fitting since every writing has its flaws and weaknesses.
    It just has to be in a way 'progressive' enough.
    I didn't mentioned Card Captor Sakura because this story has many weird romantic relationships that are just too messed up for my taste.
    And please tell me your reasons why you like it. ;)
    Thanks!

your crush likes this.
  2. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe something like:
    Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
    BOFURI
    Flying Witch
    Yuru Camp
    K-ON
    Aria series & Amanchu (same mangaka)
    Azumanga Daioh

Also, since you've mentioned Claymore, which means you don't mind Seinen ones, then maybe:
    Youjo Senki
    Black Lagoon
    Jormungand
    Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury

PS: the POV of both Lagoon & Jormungand may be from the male chara, but the real bad asses are the ladies of the series

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  3. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like the altruism of Yuna in Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear. Prefer the manga over the anime though. Feel kinda bothered about the MC unintentionally attracting a harem of little moe girls.

Appreciate that in BOFURI there are no dramatic high stakes, only people having lots of fun together in an online game world.

I had no idea that the Gundam Franchise finally features a female main protagonist. Since you watched it, how would you describe/rate this series?
    Hoping that it doesn't have hidden or subtle misogyny like in Gunbuster or Dragon Pilot - Hisone and Masotan.

I know/grew up with Black Lagoon and Jormungand.
    I agree these two series have a very masculine manly touch but the anti-heroines are crazy female badasses.
    I stopped reading Black Lagoon because I don't want consume the dramatization/glorification of any mafias (made of ruthless mercerneries anymore + real life example Russia's Mercernery Group Wagner), the CIA AND I lost patient with the floating timeline/ongoing arcs of this fictional world.
    And about Jormungand..... Sacrificing/Endangering about 700000 people/lives by deactivating all large electronic computer-operated devices, vehicles and transportations to end war and achieve world peace... decided by a white/fair skinned privileged elite arms dealer girlboss + daughter/heiress of a shipping magnate... Did not aged well for me. I am done with the myth of heroic billionaires or philanthropic filthy rich criminals.
    The Saga of Tanya the Evil is definitively not my taste.

I think K-ON was inspired by the 2005 movie LINDA LINDA LINDA ;)

Thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  4. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury (early on, it's sometimes also called Suisei no Tanuki :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: )
    One could argue if Suletta (Witch from Mercury's main protagonist) is the first Gundam pilot female protagonist (in comparison w/ Christina McKenzie (0080: War in the Pocket) and/or Misa Satsukino (Gundam Breaker: Battlelogue)), but we'll be off the topic here
    Score, I'd say 7-8 out of 10
    Plot wise IMHO, it's pretty much Gundam ZZ plot (funny & all at the beginning, turn bloody later on) mixed w/ GBF (no blood, except S1 last ep), Utena (hence the first Gundam series w/ Yuri theme) & a bit of Meteor Garden
    For the last ep of S1, I'll recommend not eating anything w/ tomato and/or chili sauce watching it. It's famous among the fandom as "Suletta's Fly Swat" (^^i)
    In any case, here's Aerial Gundam first battle epic moments & the series 1st OP for you to enjoy

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  5. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bakuon! (Ever watch Top Gear show? Well this one is similar, except it's a girls motorcycle club)
    Do It Yourself (girls club, making stuff like chairs, wall hooks, etc)
    Kiddy Grade (not much known, my friend recommended it)
    Moretsu Pirates (space pirates, though they're more into being hired for entertainment i/o serious pirating business)
    Queen Emeraldas (spin-off/side-story of Captain Harlock)
    Gunsmith Cats
    Bakuretsu Tenshi
    Bubblegum Crisis & Bubblegum Crash
    Noir
    Bakuretsu Tenshi
    Mai-HiME
    Haifuri
    Tokyo Mew Mew & Mermaid Melody (IMHO it's kinda like downgraded ver of Sailor Moon. Didn't watch entirely, lost interest somewhere)
    Breakwater Club Diaries (girls fishing club)
    Read or Die & Read or Dream (same franchise)
    Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
    I Said Make My Abilities Average!
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani Ka? (non-human FMC)
    Girls und Panzer
    Kancolle
    SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online (alternate to SAO's Phantom Bullet arc w/ different writer & characters)
    Little Witch Academia (all-female Hogwarts)
    Maou-jou de Oyasumi (sleepy princess tried to sleep in the demon lord's castle, lots of hilarity due to her efforts to improve her sleeping conditions)
    Joshikausei (played in silent movie/no talking way, similar to Mr. Bean)
    Joshikausei no Mudazukai
    JJBA 6th, Stone Ocean
    Long Riders & Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu (girls cycling club)
    Hanayamata
    Blood+, Blood The Last Vampire & Blood-C (horror/supernatural & gore)
    Cross Ange
    Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo
    Kaibutsu Oujo

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023