Discussion Please tell me what YOUR definition of yandere is...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by YoriMei, Jun 23, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve run into this time and time again in the review section and discussions, and now I’m putting and end to it. Please, what is (to you) a yandere?

A yandere is a character who is originally kind and warm (the dere part) until it is revealed that they are obsessive, aggressive and a bit deranged to the point of killing perceived love rivals at any perceived provocation (whether or not they truly are rivals is a different story). They are varying degrees of violent, but the main point is that they are dangerous and whether MC reciprocates their love they WILL be violent if you try to leave them. Of course, the classic example of the classic definition is Yuno Gasai.

But over the years I think the term has gotten diluted and twisted, because it simply isn’t being used correctly. Now a days it’s used for a terribly possessive, easily jealous, cold but then soft, lenient lover but that’s not what it means?! I keep seeing tags for yandere or people saying the love yandere love interests, only to see the character is simply a possessive lover.

edit: forgot a few words

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  2. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    People don't know the definition of hentai, so I don't really expect much. And people often use terms without knowing them, incel, racist, melancholy, evil, atmospheric, disinterested vs uninterested, and the list could go on forever. If your into memes im sure you've seen memes being misused and misunderstood all the time. Can't really help people who don't care to know or fix thier own misunderstandings.

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Your definition is right :blobokhand:
    I agree with you because unfortunately, there are lots of misused terms, twisted and corrupted definitions, it is misleading and wrong, but people don't care, they simply don't and worst thing is that, they are convinced for some reason (or maybe it is just for the sake of attracting readers) that they are right :facepalm:

Martialegg and YoriMei like this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yandere? possessive person.... usually hard to detect unless you know da person on really close relationship~
    there some type of yandere, but the popular one is da crazy bitch near psycho type~
    hmm there type who only on stalker level~
    well yandere suffer similar fate as tsundere~ tsundere is da type who on beginning act not care but gradually soften, these day tsundere is da type who is feisty, annoying brat~ tsundere is like marriage couple who like argue each other but care and love each other lol~ not always use fist to argue~

InvincibleDespair and YoriMei like this.
  5. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, "correctness" of terms in every day informal language are imo a fluid concept.

Words and their meaning are formed largely in context and use, and they will vary over time; as long one is understood well enough, I feel the words have done their job.

If we're talking about the original meaning of yandere, my gut feeling would split it into yan and dere, where yan would come from yin-yan(g) and, thus, mean smth like passionate and bright, and dere would be smth like lover (most likely too biased interpretation).

Thus, I'd combine it to smth like a scaldingly passionate lover... and as such it doesn't really imply any violent tendencies at all. Those would be just *one* way of expressing that extreme passion.

But meh, when have I ever been right? :p

Bloodysin28 and YoriMei like this.
  6. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yandere for me is a psychologically handicapped person with a warped view of the world. Everything that person sees is way different from other people's perspective and tend to mentally snap at certain time.

When a person get involves with another and develops a certain feeling, that feeling inside is immensely aplified to the point of insanity and creates a certain barrier between what she sees and what the world sees.

While people say that possessiveness is alright, its because they don't know how deep the psychological barrier needed to break through or how much insane a person is.

There are certain tiers for how craziness to love yandere works but its mostly dealt in how mentally incapable they are.

You can write a yandere thats crazy but not crazy enough to kill everyone stealing her senpai to batsht crazy. It mostly depends on their psychological barrier they have.

So, in summary. Yanderes can either be possessive and cute with no danger elements to mentally incapable of proper thoughts and has a warped view on the world which she only sees and better GTFO outta town and move to a new country if she's that crazy.

YoriMei likes this.
  7. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, just because a word used to mean one thing doesn't mean it should always have the same meaning, I think.

8. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Just monika.

YoriMei likes this.
  9. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think a yandere has to be violent, nor do they have to start out as "kind". A character like Yuno Gasai is just the one that popularized, but not every character should have to follow the same mold, that would be boring.

I go by the definition of "literally madly in love". I made a diagram on it a long time ago:

[​IMG]
    (You can read more of my thoughts about it on my tumblr.)

10. EndlessAbyss

EndlessAbyss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess a Yandere is like an overly loving child with a stalker's temperament. They lack compassion for the people around them and only think about satisfying their own desires. They have too much compassion for the people they love to see what's actually happening outside of their own little world. A Yandere will go crazy if they don't get their way. They often turn to self-harm, and some of them even make a show of threatening you. They want to be loved too much and can't bear the stress of not being loved. A Yandere is not in a proper state of mind, as they are so pathologically twisted and full of unrequited love that they forcefully turn their love onto you.

YoriMei likes this.
  11. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Short term: extreme possessive
    Long term: an extreme possessive behavior that harmed his or her lover, and the people surrounding them.

As long as it not deviated from the term above, you can branded someone Yandere.

YoriMei likes this.
  12. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    For me a Yandere is someone who 止んでいるデレ as in, their mind stopped working correctly and showers love towards the SO.

YoriMei likes this.
  13. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that words don’t always have the same mean (the usage of awful has changed drastically from past to present) but there’s a difference between generally accepted meaning vs what you personally think it means (ex: if I say clue and you think hint but I think yarn, we are going to be having a drastically different conversation).

I’m not saying someone’s “wrong” in their personal definition, I’m just trying to see what the current generally accepted meaning is (aka: is it now a term for possessive lover or is the group who “misuse” the term the minority).

EndlessAbyss likes this.
  14. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    It's manic obsessive and mentally unstable personality.

YoriMei and rhianirory like this.
  15. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you say yandere and I automatically think of Yuno from Future Diary, since she is pretty representative of the term in the classic sense.
    think obsessive+crazy and that's pretty much it, though in Chinese novels it tends more towards "I'll cripple your legs so you can never leave me" or in a few cases "I'll kill you and bury your body where I sleep so we can be together forever."

YoriMei and reagents 11 like this.
  16. Brago130sf

Brago130sf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If i had to explain it simply, i beleive yandere-ism is love or ovsession gone beyond nirnal unhealthy level to the level of chronic drug addiction.
    You can't live without one and it has to be at least a specified amount. You won't share it with anyone and if someone tried to take it away, you may get irritated, angry or excessively violent.

YoriMei likes this.
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to venture a bit and suggest that it's a bad idea to use poorly defined Japanese terms. The idea behind specialized terms is that they're supposed to facilitate communication by putting a number of complex ideas into a short phrase. But when people can't agree on what that phrase really means then that communication get muddled and unclear.

It's like the word "nonplussed". This word is commonly misused because it doesn't mean what most people assume it does. So when you encounter it in the sentence, you have to guess whether the writer knows the proper definition, and then try to parse the rest of the writing. It's counterproductive and it'd be better if nobody used it. "Yandere" isn't one of the bigger culprits because people usually don't care what the proper meaning is, but there's still enough confusion that it makes more sense to instead use different words.

18. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand where you are coming from but to suggest nobody should use a word becuase people don't know how to use it... irks me. Its not hard to learn a word and its context. But the real issue is people for some reason don't care.

19. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    tldr, a mental disorder for not being able to accept the reality of being rejected, to the point of being delusional and violent toward their affection target.

they have a terrifyingly small tolerance to even contain slight jealousy, at the level of breaking their sanity. very quickly to escalate to violence.

Brago130sf, YoriMei and EUGA like this.
  20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that the well is poisoned and the word doesn't serve its proper purpose any more. Let's use a different term to illustrate: how many discussions can you think of that have been elevated when a poster brings up the term "Mary Sue"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.