Question Please translate these lines

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by fantasygirl, Oct 31, 2018.

1. fantasygirl

fantasygirl Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone please help me translate these.it is so difficult.
    “姨娘也是素日太过要强,行事过急,若说歹意,并没有半分,一直以来,为将军府操劳,无功却有过,实在是……”

Thanks

2. Playful Devil Miki995

Playful Devil Miki995 [Happy go lucky~]

Reading List:
    Link
    [Aunt is usually too aggressive in whatever she does and is also too impulsive. If I were to describe about her malevolence, it wouldn’t be much. She had always been serving the General Manor even when she doesn’t contribute much. This is really too (pitiful/much)...”]
    More context will be needed. If the punishment is harsh, then much. If the punishment is too harsh, then pitiful. I’m just assuming she is being punished for doing something. If that doesn’t seem to fit, please provide more context as context can change the meaning of what the author was trying to write. Cheers and Happy Halloween if it is still~

3. fantasygirl

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks
    She is banned in her yard.so I think 'much'
    This the full paragraph.
    Happy Halloween to you.:blobhighfive:

4. Playful Devil Miki995

Reading List:
    Link
    I was wrong for the first sentence. It should be Aunt usually drives herself too hard to excel and is also too impulsive. But if...

5. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is an Ancient China setting, then "姨娘" can actually mean concubine and not aunt.

6. Playful Devil Miki995

Reading List:
    Link
    But you won’t really call someone concubine as someone with a close relationship no?

7. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on context. Who's talking, is the conversation private, how much detail is the author going into, how important is their character, etc. (If you want more detail, also depends on the dynasty).

If this is ancient China setting, 姨娘 as aunt is rarely used. If there's a concubine, the family's status shouldn't be low. And therefore, there's rules of etiquette. But typically the personal names of women are not known, and the woman is usually referred to by their title or status. If they don't have a significant title or status, they're referred to as "the daughter of xxx" or "the wife of xxx." Even if you're close to them. Like if you're the child of the concubine, you'd still call her concubine mother. Or if there's multiple concubines, they're usually referred to by their maiden surnames. Example in Divine Doctor: Daughter of the First Wife, Yao-shi, Han-shi, An-shi.

8. fantasygirl

Reading List:
    Link
    she is mother's step sister and also father's concubine.and she is also called by er furen not only servents but also other people.

and i have another doubt .

this is step sister is asking her child to call
    “来,儿子,快叫阿姨,哟不对,该叫大娘?康王,你说咱们的儿子应该管我姐姐叫什么呢?”她的嘴角笑意直达眼底。
    jiejie is legal wife,but why asking to call 'da niang'

9. Playful Devil Miki995

Reading List:
    Link
    All of the children in the aristocratic family must call the legal wife their mother even if they aren’t borned by her. It is just the rule. Children that are born not by the legal wife can’t call their mom Mother but 姨娘 as to uphold the status of the main wife. I’m assuming that elder sister is the main wife of the family. If I understood it wrong, my apologies~

10. fantasygirl

Reading List:
    Link
    yes ,you are correct. in first post the person speaking is child of the 姨娘.she speaking to mc for asking to remove ban.who is child of furen legal wife.

can you tell about the second doubt.

11. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Did something happen to the legal wife? Does she have a son?

From the way she spesks, I think she was trying to ridicule the legal wife.

12. fantasygirl

Reading List:
    Link
    if it is
    “来,儿子,快叫阿姨,哟不对,该叫大娘?康王,你说咱们的儿子应该管我姐姐叫什么呢?”她的嘴角笑意直达眼底。

mc is legal wife.rebirth story.this is before death.mc should wang fei .her step sister and her husband scheme. i think step sister care too much about the identity.so asking her son to call

13. fantasygirl

Reading List:
    Link
    'her way of calling "step mother" then "da niang" which why i confused.

14. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    "儿子,快叫阿姨" is the younger sister (姨娘/二夫人 of 康王) telling her son (what I assume is the 康王's oldest/only/rightful heir since the younger sister is trying to boast/assert her identity as the biological mother of said heir in this sentence) to greet his aunt (his mother's older sister) since 阿姨 is aunt.

Whereas telling him to call her older sister by 大娘 is to greet 康王's legal wife while not calling her 母亲(mother)(idk why she didn't think of this because traditionally all the kids should call the legal wife mother) or 夫人/王妃 (legal wife of 康王)(so as to not lower his status of oldest heir? I'm making a blind guess)

Basically the younger sister is boasting that her son is the heir and even if the older sister is the legal wife, she cannot change that fact. "她的嘴角笑意直达眼底。" proves this point as she is "smiling in her eyes" = pleased (or something along the lines of that)