Discussion tl

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Airisu, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airisu

Airisu Where is my daily GL

Reading List:
    Link
    So, yesterday happened that I noticed that I novel I am reading got a new group translating it, when the main group is still actively posting chapters and never said it dropped it.
    So, people started to talk about this, and I read the new group standpoint on this: that is, they are super rude and thinks they didn’t do anything wrong picking it up from one of the latest chapters the main group is translating (not even from ch1). For the new group standpoint, it’s ok poaching another group project and they don’t intend to stop it, nor to even try to think they did break the underground rules of the translation world (btw, it’s a project that started to get famous, so I guess that’s why they decided to poach it).
    What do you think about this situation? And I really wanted to know, if there are translators here, what will you do if that happens to you? Mostly,if your release speed is regular and there is no reason why someone can complain.

As for me, I am pretty put off by the second group attitude. They knew very well how the rules works, but they just didn’t care at all about them. Pretty upsetting,

Nb. I will not say which novel it is, I don’t want to create a drama, I just wanna know your opinions on this situation.

2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    need some circumstance you can reveal before a judgement.

what's group 1's release rate like? What's their quality like?
    same Qs with group 2.

3. Zackarov

Zackarov ~ Cheese Bear ~

Reading List:
    Link
    raise an army to destroy their website
    if they have NUF account SPAM their inbox, profile, etc.
    ask mods to not list their release in NU.

4. SlimIcee

SlimIcee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Need more context than this before I pass any judgement.

5. DarthOu

DarthOu 《Lord Vader》

Reading List:
    Link
    If the current translator is active, providing translations every day or week, then I disagree with the poacher, that's just rude.

If current translator release like every 2-3 months per chapter and not up to date till raw, might as well give another the chance to translate.

7Marie, kenar, Helaine and 5 others like this.
  6. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    Main group depends on the translator freedom, but at least average 2 chap each month. The quality tho is superb, you can see it takes a lot of effort to reach that.

Second group dunno, think they plan a weekly release, but the quality is definitely not good as the first group. Kinda difficult to get the sense of some of their sentences, and it loses totally the poetic sense.

The problem here tho is NOT the speed or quality, it’s the behaviour of the second group. They find it’s ok to just pick the latest chapter a group did and translate it from there, they don’t feel they broke any rule cause “there is no copyright”, which is true, but the undeground rules are there for something, and everyone in the translation world tries to respect them. I would have liked if they at least said they know they are wrong but they wanna translate it anyway. But no, they just attacked people who pointed out they are doing a rude thing not even asking the first group permission

mir, aoiisora, 7Marie and 2 others like this.
  7. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    report to NU staff, if it is a you say NU will not link the second group releases
    Edit: note that this only apply if there is at least 50 chapters (100k words) released by the first translator, if it is less NU rules says it is open project

8. Alundric

Alundric Member of Gentleman Alliance

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed.
    And the quality. It is ok if it is is monthly release as long as the quality is good.

9. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    is this wujigigi* (don't know the spelling) group? xD

10. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    The quality of the main group is superb really, reading is a pleasure. You can see translator takes his time and does a flawless job.

I said I won’t write here which groups are involved, don’t want to create a useless drama (and no it’s not that)

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are too many projects that are dead. Too many novels that have never been translated at all. We have far, far more novels that need translators than we do translators who need novels. Setting aside that it's completely unethical behavior, poaching is a complete waste of resources, and often ends up decreasing the number of translators active in the community. It doesn't matter what a group's release speed or quality is like, nothing justifies that.

As some people have mentioned, Novel Updates does have relevant policies regarding release acceptance. We do try to do the minimum we can to prevent casual poaching and harassment of existing translators - there are requirements that must be met when picking up an existing project. You can see those here: https://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/

If you notice a violation of this policy, feel free to report it. https://www.novelupdates.com/report-problem/

That said, there are plenty of holes in this policy, and intentionally so. This policy is not meant to stop all competition, and Novel Updates is not the translation police. It's a directory. We're not doing our job if we don't list essentially all active translations.

12. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, depends on how bad the new releases are and how quick they are

"OK + Fast" is better than "Slow + Excellent" in my books

As a fan, I think it's fine for a series to be "snatched" if the new group is going to take far better care of it than the old group, or release chapters astronomically faster. What I hate is seeing an excellent series fall into obscurity because a translator group is just pecking at it. Nobody wants to wait another five-ten years for a series to be finished or to see the series' potential strangled because someone "got there first" and is only releasing two chapters a month or less. For most people, that's not enough to stay relevant for long, and it tends to end with people giving up or simply forgetting the series exists... unless they're massive fans

I empathize with those translators but I think there are more factors at play than whether or not the group stumbled across the series before a group that loves it more or a more diligent group that is willing to dedicate more attention to it

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Helaine, xiin and Fictionaddiction like this.
  13. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: it's rude, but you just need move on to another novel, :blobthinkingsmirk: there's many good novel out there without translator, :blobpopcorn_cool:
    or you want make it as a competition between two groups ? :blobhero:

14. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    I get you point but absolutely disagree.
    Why not asking the slower main group then to collaborate? In that case, you can have faster relases AND quality releases. Fast releases means, usually, poor quality, and some novels with poor quality translations lose all the charm they had.

15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

16. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    No, as I said from the start the problem is not the quality, is the attitude. They can do god translations but if they poach a project without even asking for me they are in the wrong.

Reeee don’t say who they are no drama :blobfearful:

17. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I edited my post about a million times xD Still not sure it accurately captures what I'm trying to say

Also I get where you're coming from but I don't think that's always practical. I do agree that it would be politest for a group to contact another group and ask to take over, though, instead of silently poaching the series

I should also add that my post is more from the perspective of a reader who wants lots of chapters than a translator

7Marie, Helaine, xiin and 1 other person like this.
  18. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    but we do love dramas here

Blushy, kenar, orematcha and 2 others like this.
  19. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I really get what you mean, cause sometimes I think the same. But, that applies when the “good” group is super slow, like, not even 1 ch each month, or they stay 3 months without releases and not saying it. That is annoying, yes. And sometimes I wish the same, that some other group just picks that poor novel up, but it really doesn’t apply here! Yes the speed is not super fast, but it’s pretty regular.

mir and scribbledoutname like this.
  20. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Poaching in general is stupid unless the poaching is done for a very good reason (ie novel camping with super super slow releases or the quality is absolutely crappy.)

On this particular matter, i cant make a view on it while not knowing the novel. Someone who knows PM me the novel's nu page plox

Moonpearl and baka8roukanako like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.