Discussion tl

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Airisu, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wuttirototo

wuttirototo New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    omg i was wrong guys sorry this has nothing to do with what you are talking about:blobfearful:

2. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it is rude... So what? Forcing everybody to be nice is rude, too. Calling somebody out for being rude is rude, too. Many things can look rude, if they don't go your way.

It must suck to come online just to see somebody poaching your project, but it must also suck to want to see something finished that's moving at snail-speed. From what I have read here, both translations aren't authorized by the author anyway... which is also kinda rude. :p

3. Airisu

Airisu Where is my daily GL

Reading List:
    Link
    The last thing, I don’t know. But well, then let’s just all be rude! Why having a nice community, you are right. Let’s just make dramas and fight to each other.

AliceShiki, Wujigege and Karyehs like this.
  4. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    The weak and slow shall perish. :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, poaching doesn't even really make sense from a poacher's pov.

You can ignore backlash from poaching, but you'll have to live with it. Err. You can see it as a minor handicap. Other translators won't have it, but you always will. Everything will suffer for it - the support you receive (vocal and financial), your readership, your reputation. The results of all your work will always be a bit less than they'd be if you hadn't alienated a portion of readers with publicly unethical behavior. It might seem like there are tempting reasons to poach a translation, but in the end it's just short sighted. Short term benefits that don't pan out in the end.

Besides, why deal with that? Even if you want to take advantage of someone else's foundation, there are a plethora of novels that have been dropped for any number of reasons: translators becoming ill, getting new jobs, moving on to other things, you name it. You don't need to poach from an active translator at a cost when you can pick up a dead translator's work for the same benefits at no cost. At that point, poaching isn't just short sighted, it's idiotic. It's like robbing a bank when there's money lying in the streets. Why?

All that said, I'd also like to say that many readers are always looking for something new, and the benefits of using someone else's foundation might not even hold up to the attraction that something new offers. There are notable benefits to translating a novel that hasn't been touched before, and you definitely don't have to worry about no one being interested. Not these days.

But yes, there is very little anyone can really do about it, and most people won't care.

AliceShiki, Ars, Kuro_0ni and 10 others like this.
  6. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    This seems like just your feelings and other readers. Has the first translator said anything?

Be annoyed, but eventually accept it and move on. If someone is going translate anyways, it would be annoying for them to want to talk. It would just be a waste of both side's time.

Airisu likes this.
  7. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    The first translators, when they discovered it, was sad and kinda lost motivation. Now they said they will continue it anyway, since they loves the project.
    I see! But you would continue the project anyway or lose motivation to do it?
    As a fan, I saw a lot of project getting dropped by the main TL cause someone else poached, and in the end the poacher dropped it too so bye bye novel. That would be just a total loss

8. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really care all that much, experience tells me that most of the time the new group doesn't last that long.

Plus if the translator is doing this as a hobby (as I hear often), then why should they care if someone else decides to translates.

Pau, Wujigege and Helaine like this.
  9. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure. I think I would probably take an indefinite break from translating unless I find a new novel that I really like.

Airisu likes this.
  10. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    HAHAHAHAHA

Do you know why everyone hates group projects in school?

Rumby, AliceShiki, Solus and 3 others like this.
  11. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    I see! So well, yeah, what I feared. If the other group then drops it too or gets hella slow, it's a loss for really everyone

Did I say they will ABSOLUTELY reach a collab? I know it's not easy, but if you think about it, most translations of novels ARE group projects. There are often multiple translators, plus who checks grammar. It's not so far fetched, reaching a collab between more people. It happens a lot.

12. Helaine

Helaine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what specific project you're talking about here, but this is what I think:

1. Main TL updates regularly (once a week or so), have 1-2 projects at most, and actually plan to complete it but gets sick and have to take a hiatus for several weeks. Then they'll be back (for real, not just disappear).
    In this case, it's really rude to do poach :< Please just work it out to fill in while they're busy or help out some other way.

2. Main TL have like 5 projects, claims to have been busy for at least a year now, all the projects are updated at most once a month.... some projects are only updated once in 3 months just to keep up with NU's pick up rules :notlikeblob:. Main TL doesn't want to let anything go at all... and will raise drama if it does get "poached". 2nd TL actually have a decent schedule and upload weekly, maybe even 2-5 chapters a week!
    I really hope the 2nd TL will just ignore the hate in this case, since eventually most readers will just move over to the new TL's site...
    Tbh I don't see why 2nd TL is that terrible - both of them can continue translating, if you want superb quality and read once a month, feel free. But I'll just read at the new TL's site instead :)

I'm saying this because I've seen projects that are... technically still "active" but they only have like 20 or so chapters and then you see that the translation started a year or two ago :blobdizzy: So it will never be finished.... at all... ever... Please just let it go :blobcry:

13. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Correction it is Wujigege.
    You consume Asian media and cannot spell a name as famous as mine.
    For shame! :facepalm:

My group poached it. Website is Asianhobbyist.com.
    Attack me with traffic
    [​IMG]

Yeah, it is pretty pathetic all the indignation which is based on the premise that the original translator is some saint who isn't dragging the translations to earn donations or hoarding like you say.
    Pathetic!

New translators might be lesser quality but as long as it is not MTL passing off as translations then the more the better.
    The novels to translators ratio is pathetic.
    Readers seem to think otherwise. Some are so deluded that they think there is a line of translators ready to pick up projects.

The bigger issue is the readers who read on pirate sites as a form of protest.
    Shooting themselves in the foot.
    Human stupidity at finest.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Kuro_0ni, dmtranslations, Pau and 2 others like this.
  14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Here i am, waiting for someone to take my project since im busy with life and i wanna read the translation without spending much efforts. I guess thats just me or my niche novel.

15. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the community sort of does need more translators. With how the ecosystem of translators and readers go, there is more demand than the supply can keep up. Because its easier to be a reader, I believe many lurkers are fine with a faster release, so long as they can grasp the story they are reading.

The act of poaching just seems like a waste of energy, for any translator, editor, individual or group. Like why compete for the project? Why not cooperate and produce content? For the hobbyist [fan] translator, their isn't much to lose. But for the business translator (profit driven) why create drama that may ruin your reputation.

I mean, the cycle repeats itself. We've gone through these events before, with the Baka-tsuki Era, transitioning into forums and Reddit threads for certain titles.

16. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, there are so many projects out there so why starting a project that's already being translated?
    Funny is, apparently the poacher said that he wants faster releases so everyone can read it faster, and he wants to give another version of the translation: then, why not starting from ch1? Easy to take a previous translation, just changing some terms, and start to translate from the last chapter out, having all the difficult terms ready on a plate with just some tweaking to make them his own.
    Why not doing that with a dropped novel and not an active one? Mistery.

17. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because the other chapters already exist and the new translator simply wants to complete the translation faster, instead of retranslating already existing stuff? Retranslating a perfectly fine translation of - your words - excellent quality is the same as wasting time. Why spend time to retranslate 50 old chapters, instead of using the time to translate 50 new?

The only real downside is that the old translator could take his chapters down and the first chunk of the novel isn't easily accessible online anymore. That would be a problem for new readers, but not for already existing fans.

18. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that makes sense, but I find it's a waste to have 2 groups that translate the same novel too.
    And, problem is in this kind of situations, it happens a lot that First TL get disheartened and decide to drop it, then, second TL starts being very fast but gets drowned by irl stuff, so slows down releases at the same pace as First TL, just that quality is worst, and eventually can happen that second TL too drops it. Saw it happen a lot around :/ Would hate if this happens again to a novel I read.

19. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, since AH picked it up there really is a big chance of it getting dropped the moment Wujigege isn't satisfied with the income.

Otherwise I - as a consumer - prefer 1 completed novel over 5 novels that maybe get completed within the next 20 years... :p

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    AH didn't pick up anything. He was joking.
    No one here got the novel I am talking about

Karyehs and Wujigege like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.