Discussion tl

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Airisu, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

AliceShiki, Helaine, Kuro_0ni and 2 others like this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I beg to differ. You are in the minority.
    Readers get jaded. Variety is important
    Besides distance(between releases) makes ze heart fonder :blobnosebleed:

3. Airisu

Airisu Where is my daily GL

Reading List:
    Link
    SSSHHHHH :blobfearful::blobfearful:

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone poached my novel I'd probably rant about it to some of my close friends and then start a new project.

Then if the idiot dropped the novel I'd pick it back up. It's not worth the stress to start competing for the translation.

No translator is perfect, but it's generally better to just avoid causing drama with others when you can just work on one of the many dead projects or in entirely new projects.

5. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually just like any novel Qi takes over, anything you or your team translates will not be intentionally read by me. To me your kind are a cancer who take advantage of popular novels and drop them when they fall out of favor. To you it's all about cash flow, and while I can respect you for trying to make a business out of translating, your ethics are total shit. Therefore shall never have my support.

redxx, Helaine, LaDyViL and 1 other person like this.
  6. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe. But those novels that have 1, 2 or even 3 releases per day seem to be the most popular for a pretty long time. And many people read only (almost) completed novels. (not like you'd know :p)

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I run a translation website. I receive a lot of feedback from readers.
    My sample size is much bigger than yours.
    Then again, doesn't really matter.
    People see what they want to see.
    Given that you are mentioning companies QI, Wuxiaworld, Gravity Tales etc
    I think I am doing pretty well for my small website.
    Over and out.

lafiel11 likes this.
  8. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for not formulating my standpoint more obvious.

With
    I meant that you and your site doesn't have experience with completed novels.

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I have completed a few novels on my website
    The fan translation scene is like long running soap operas in my experience
    but hey, lets agree to disagree
    https://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?list=4&uid=45473

10. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha!

TGWADG has 2 chapters released by you (sidestories: ss1p1, ss1p2, ss2), SoL is 10 chapters short, EGA has about 20 and UM also has only 10 chapters.

I don't know how many readers you expect with 43 releases. At least they don't really count as completed novels. (for me)

The stats for EGA should be at least somewhat representative for completed jap niche novels with about 1/4th translated by you. (if you had released all of them you'd have 4x the exposition for releases etc.)

Well, at least you got them finished. Good job! (no sarcasm)

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I did not notice any sarcasm but I am a realist. I will not overestimate myself.
    When I started out I thought that completing novels was more important.
    Experience has taught me otherwise.
    People like new flashy toys.
    Copying the same model as big companies is also a recipe for failure..

12. CawCawBird

CawCawBird Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So... pretty sure I know which novel this is about and eh. The situation is a bit annoying for everyone involved, I guess. From what I've seen in the comments, there have been some unjust accusations directed at the new group (like them putting the new chapters up on NU themselves etc.), getting a few comments that what they're doing is rude and that's not great. But the new translator reacted very poorly imo, accusing the original translator of sending their fans over to harass them, calling the original translation inaccurate and poorly translated, insinuating the original translator only actually cares about pageviews, acting like the victim and complaining about all the hate they got (when it was at most 4-5 comments) and generally being weirdly smug about the whole situation.

I think this whole situation could have been avoided if they'd just civilly talked about it beforehand. I think the very least a new group can to is give a heads up to the first translator that they intend to translate alongside them and maybe ask if it's okay, especially when they clearly know the translation is still active. I do understand why someone would want to provide faster translations of a novel they're passionate about. But being polite about things doesn't hurt anyone and communication is key.

Personally, I don't care too much - mostly, the new translator really put me off wanting to read their version because of their behaviour. But what annoys me a little is getting two different sets of chapter updates for the novel right now...

tailor31415, mir and Airisu like this.
  13. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I think the same. And the poacher got just 2 people commenting, they didn't even insult, just ASKED if he asked main TL if he could translate too, and said it's rude to not at least tell him that he wanna do that project too. No one said he had to stop translating. No one threatened or insulted him.
    Then, poacher really started to do the victim (when he's clearly at fault here), when he had 0 hate comments (literally, ZERO), and even presumed to say that the other TL quality of translation is bad??? Really?? I compared them, and sorry, main TL is better, there is nothing to say about that. And said main TL send people to insult him?? Really??? When main TL didn't even know he existed when people started commenting in his posts?? Wow. Yeah, do the victim when you are the one inciting people to fight, good job.
    Anyway, I fell the same: poacher attitude really put me off, I won't read their translation cause their attitude just poked at me in a bad way.

readerz likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    An easier solution : everyone ignores it and don't start or feed threads like this one.

Humans are stupidily stubborn.
    The original translator can drop and start or focus on their other novel if they really cared about the community.
    At the end of the day, it is all about ego.
    Both sides are pathetic

15. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    I will complain as much as I want, since this is a free place to do so and I never made names for the specific reason to not create drama. Who know knows, who doesn’t won’t know which novel it is.
    And this is unrelated to what the 2 groups will do, they can translate it both for what I care, it’s just the attitude of the poacher that pisses me off to no end.

Plus, yeah let’s blame first TL, that’s the person that here didn’t do anything wrong, sure

tailor31415 and baka8roukanako like this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha you are making feel like Trump : Blame on both sides.

I am a Christian so the one thing I don't underestimate is human wickedness.
    I have been in this community long enough.
    I am not blaming either side.
    I am saying that no one is a saint.
    I can bet that the first translator starting speeding up the translations when the poacher came in.
    Personally, I see them as motivators not poachers.
    By the way, I am speaking from experience as someone who got one of the novels I was translating poached.
    If they care about the community, they will be the bigger person and focus on another novel.
    People are just too egotistical

17. CawCawBird

CawCawBird Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I think the term "poacher" is a bit OTT, to be honest.

This particular situation aside, I also generally dont have a problem with parellel translations because as a reader, it's often nice to have more translations/different versions to choose from (I will admit that there are a few novel translations where I secretly hope they get "poached" because they're just... really not good). The parallel chapter linking can be a bit annoying but oh, well. But I would prefer not having new chapters be accompanied with translators pushing the blame around and whining all the time because someone else doesn't agree with their way of doing things. I'd also prefer it if people didn't go out of their way to be rude but eh, it's the internet, so tough chance.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    If you wanna poach, at least do it and don't do the victim cmon. Say "I wanna do this I will do this I don't care about what others think" and not "I am the victim sob sob people are attacking me cause I poached they are evil, the other TL quality is shit blabla"

readerz and CawCawBird like this.
  19. kobatochandaisuki

kobatochandaisuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IMHO, there's no good reason to poach.
    As Westeller has said, there's tons of novels that are lying around and even much more novels that have never been translated at all. For me, the biggest reasons for poaching groups to poach a novel are:
    1. Already translated are safer value since already got some popularity and made some name = easier and quicker to make it profitable
    2. Much easier to get the few but powerful idiots who will shield and asslick the poachers since they just don't care who translates as long as they get more chapters (in other word, easier to get support)
    3. Poachers often have poor taste in novels so they poach what other people with good taste picked.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    tailor31415, kenar, readerz and 2 others like this.
  20. Airisu

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the second point is what's happening.
    And I agree with you. Even if, as someone said, the poacher wanna do fast releases cause the main TL is too slow, it doesn't condone the fact that he didn't even contact the main TL, when he took his translation as a starting point to continue the novel.
    That's just wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.