Discussion tl

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Airisu, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen this happen a number of times over the years. Especially to translators who post chapters slowly. The unwritten rule is just that--unwritten. Readers will go to the place they read a good novel with at least understandable translations. How would you keep them?
    Scalpers exist in this world.
    Personally, I prefer to remain reading at the site I found a good translation to a nice story. Sometimes when you switch you have to begin again since the names are different and the words don't flow the same as before.
    I write my own novel, The Red Lands so I haven't had problems yet. Who knows, however, if there is someone out there translating MY novel to another language...:LOL:
    Nice post!

Airisu likes this.
  2. Airisu

Airisu Where is my daily GL

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's unwritten, but at least tell the first TL... it's not that difficult I think. Even more cause in this case second TL used the first TL work to start his translation from where he was left. And then even insulted first TL saying his work is bad (first TL never attacked him btw, it's just the second that's doing a drama over this as if he's the victim. That's why I won't read from his site, his behaviour is just horrible).
    Are you writing a novel? What's it about? :aww:(and can I have a link to where to read it? I'm Always hunting new novels!)

3. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats just plain bad character, trnalsting something that others are translating its not really a problem for me tbh unless if they are trying to get on the ride of a novel that got famous, or just because, its at least fair if they have some sort of reason or at least that they speak it up saying that they just want to translate it and thats it, up to the reader which one they want to choose, insulting the other will just make a bad enviroment for both readers and translators alike, i do think having people to take on a single project might trigger people into being more competitve about their stuff, we have so many novels out there but so many of them have such a really bad release or bad quality sometimes even both , so having another group also doing the work its something good for the readers

4. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    Collaboration is easier said than done.

As you pointed out, translation quality can vary. More than that, translation style, terminology, and writing will differ among translators.

Just because you take a good-yet-slow translator and a fast-yet-bad translator and chuck them on the same team, it doesn't mean that you'll be getting good, fast translations. With different translators working on a project, you have the extra work of keeping the style and terminology consistent.

Collaboration is not the better alternative to poaching in the majority of these cases.

But it's not that I'm not condoning poaching either. Poaching may be a short-term boon to the readers, but I believe that in the long run, it harms the community. If poaching were commonplace in this community, I imagine that many good-yet-slow translators would be hesitant to continue translating. After all, what's the use if your translation is just going to get poached a few months down the line?

Kuro_0ni, tailor31415, mir and 5 others like this.
  5. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I totally know what series this is now.

As for my personal standpoint as a TLer, I am one of those "I don't give a fuck type". Sure, poach all you want, I'm still gonna dig at my own novel like I want to. If someone kindly and politely asks, they can go tl their own version too. I totally don't mind~ Most of us don't got the copyright anyway, what am I to stop someone's fun.

Though if they are super rude and bitchy about it that's a whole other point.

Kuro_0ni, Airisu, CawCawBird and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.