[Poll] Could you be cruel if your life depended on it? (Mature/NSFW)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 20, 2019.

Tags:
?

As a candidate, how confidently could you pass the test of cruelty?

1. 100% confident - I'm could be the cruelest person in the world if necessary

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. 90% confident - I can be crueler than most people

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. 80% confident - I can be crueler than a majority of people

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. 66% confident - I can be slightly crueler than average

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. 50% confident - I think I could be as cruel as the average person

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  6. 33% confident - I think I would be slightly less cruel than average

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. 20% confident - I think I would be less cruel than a majority of people

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. 10% confident - I think I would be less cruel than most people

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. 0% confident - There's no way I could be crueler than anybody, even if I tried

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. I couldn't be cruel at all - I would fail by default

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. I couldn't be cruel at all - I would kill myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I would intentionally kill the captive and cause everyone to fail

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  13. I would accidentally kill the captive and cause everyone to fail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I'm unsure

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  15. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  16. I would intentionally kill other candidates to be disruptive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell them that you will break the arms and legs of the person who was most cruel to them as well as slash their Achilles, so they will be unable to hurt the captive. Therefore they still have a valid living replacement and the captive will still be fine.

felidormit, ludagad and lychee like this.
  2. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm honored. I don't even know why I get so into an imaginary scenario lol.

lychee likes this.
  3. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hope you do not have a job like psychologist or psychiatrist.... or a priest of some sort... probably it would be healthier to shove all your poll ideas into a book with some horror theme :blobsweat_2: yeah good luck with that :blob_grin:

ludagad likes this.
  4. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I was hoping for this unspecified in the rules (before) outcome, where the captive names a dead person. I want to see them panic and think of solutions without having to change the rules. A cultist should offer themselves to be the replacement in that case if they want us to take them seriously :blobcat_knife:

lychee likes this.
  5. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsad:
    I'm not evil. ..but I know from experience that a weird switch flips when I am in danger, maybe survival instinct, but it's awfully callous and like a dumb machine just tries to find the most efficient path to survival without considering context or others properly.
    And then when I calm down again, I can think again.
    I think in this scenario I would try to intimidate them. The money has nothing to do with it. The potential of someone murdering me if I end up a candidate is enough to flip that switch and make me unable to think of anything else.
    If I had enough time beforehand (the 'time to talk to other candidates' part), I might be able to get back out of it long enough to plan something. But distrust of the other candidates actually doing what they say they will do would make it difficult.
    As for what I'd do... If rather not think of anything specific :blobsad: that machine me has a lot of difficulty using language, so I'd probably do some horrible 'show not tell' because of that, and not leaving right away when the door unlocks.

lychee likes this.
  6. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    I could say i'm the toughest chad around who eat nails for breakfast without milk or a deranged mental patient who eat pizza with anchovy and pineapple, but oof who knows what i can and cannot do without reaching that breaking point or anything close to it.

otaku31 and lychee like this.
  7. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    If I was told my death would save the human race you can be sure the entire human race will die with me. XD

I didn't read the above scenario too long.

8. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link

A knife is what we're given? Probably would honestly do better with a firearm, as i'm actually a bit squeamish about getting blood on me, because I consider it unsanitary. Would I do something ? Probably. Hard to say what though.

Check if any of them is suffering from terminal diseases, or otherwise wants to die, but is afraid to leave their loved ones without them making money for the family, then offer to share my winnings with their family if they end up as the captive.

Convince them that killing me is pretty much the same as killing themselves as they'll take my place if they do it.
    It would vary a lot depending on nationality, background, ethnicity, religion, morals etc, but more than half would probably atleast harm the captives, if they know that a) If they don't, they're very likely to take their place and b) If they get through it, they get rich.

9. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really struck by the number of people who answered 100%.

:blobwoah:

Do people genuinely feely that way, or they just answering whatever?

I would really struggle in this kind of scenario.

....Not even sure if I could do it, especially with like 15 minutes thrown in with five strangers.

I kind of empathize with @mir's response.

Although I feel like there must be some kind of collaborative answer that works well. :notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob:

Arcturus likes this.
  10. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I re-thought about this again.

If I was the captive, and if I didn't have a conscience about condemning whoever, I think I'd prefer to name you since you demonstrated yourself to be a "nice person".

It seems safer than counting on you to kill someone that I'm not sure you'll actually be able to kill (...I think killing is harder to accomplish in person than just floating the words around in a hypothetical?) -- furthermore you could just be lying about going to kill them. In either case, I don't think I would believe it 100% that is.

If you seem "nice enough" -- I feel like it would be a safer bet to pick the justice-minded individual.

Arcturus likes this.
  11. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Evil @lychee . But you'd still be right that I wouldn't hurt the captive. *cries*

And, knowing me, I'd doubt I'd be able to kill that other person. But handicap them by breaking bones? That I certainly could do.

lychee likes this.
  12. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, well, you came up with a problem that relies heavily on cooperation and teamwork. And also introduced a factor where one person has to lose at all times. So, like the prisoner's dilemma on steroids. And the answer kinda shows you a person's character. And yeah, I'm the disruptive type who'd do anything to find a loophole and trouble authority. I saw a few others of that type here lol.

lychee likes this.
  13. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    TBH I wouldn't be able to name the nicest person as a captive. I can't justify it for myself.

Realistically I would name someone average, but definitely not the nicest one.

And I think I would tell people that as a captive -- that I'm not going to name the nicest one -- but also not the cruelest one (if I think they'd have the guts to kill me) -- just someone average and please not have any hard feelings.

felidormit and mir like this.
  14. Loislalion

Loislalion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm already cruel

15. Woho0

Woho0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the 15 minutes tell the others to be nice, and all make one small cut so the interrogated won't see any difference between us 5. I myself won't be doing this however and torture him as painful as possible, stating with pulling out his nails, while constantly telling him I really want to kill him over and over, making full use of the hour I have. Truth is that torturing him is not cruel at all no matter how painful you make it when he gets his memory whipped.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  16. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like Pea is cthulhu of job interviews.

felidormit likes this.
  17. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    ...I'm too self-sacrificing. I would probably try to hold out as long as I could refusing to name anyone.

lychee likes this.
  18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if it would work if the captive threatened everyone who walked in that they're going to name the cruelest person -- and that they're not afraid of death.

EDIT: I really think the captive is in the best position to de-incentivize people from treating them horribly -- they literally have a retaliation method.

It should be workable to threaten to name the cruelest person and do a nuclear standoff.

If the captive said this to everyone, it should be able to reduce the average amount of violence that is used against them -- even if it is just a gambit.

mir likes this.
  19. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    1. As a candidate, could you act cruelly to pass the test? How would you convince the "Captive" that you're a mean person and that they shouldn't choose you to replace them?
    No, I'd become a captive almost immediately and try my luck that way. It is the only way to return home withour joining this cult of sadists. It really boggles the mind that they'd choose a pacifist like me.

2. What would you do in this situation? If you could talk to your five fellow candidates in advance, is there anything you would say? Is there a solution to this scenario?
    I'm benevolent, I volunteer as the captive. Which one of you wants an out? Otherwise I woll choose honestly and hope you do not kill me.

3. If you became a "Captive" do you have any strategies to convince people to be nicer to you? Would you be able to tell which of the candidates are "nice" and which are purely acting? Could you condemn the nicest person to take your place? Or would you risk condemning a mean/violent person who might kill you during the revisit?
    It is the only way to escape. Being a captive is a blessing to me. I would not want to join this cult even for 1 million.

4. If the average person was in this scenario, do you think they would be mean or nice? Do you think the average person is capable of being violent/cruel to a stranger? How many people do you think would "fail" because they refuse to participate?
    They would be mean, and yes cruel/violemt too. Self-preservation is strong. Fail means becoming a captive right? And once you choose someone else you get to go home?

SAimNE, mir, Arcturus and 1 other person like this.
  20. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it bad that I find this poll more benevolent than the one where you get transported to the monster restraunt?