[Poll] Could you deliver a baby?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

Could you deliver a baby in an isekai world by yourself?

1. Yes - I’m a doctor/obstetrician/midwife who does this for a living

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Yes - I’m a health care worker on Earth, and I could do it if I needed to

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. No - I’m a health care worker on Earth, but I couldn’t do it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes - I’m a civilian, and I’ve done it before

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Yes - I’m a civilian, and I’ve learned how to do it

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Yes - I’m a civilian, and I’ve read some stuff on the Internet

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Yes - I’m a civilian, and I’ve seen some stuff on TV/movies/books

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Yes - I’m a civilian, and I trust my gut instincts

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  9. No - I’m a civilian, although I’ve learned how to do it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No - I’m a civilian, although I’ve read some stuff on the Internet

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  11. No - I’m a civilian, although I’ve seen some stuff on TV/movies/books

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  12. No - I’m a civilian, and I have no knowledge whatsoever

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  13. I’m unsure

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  14. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsnow::blobsnow::blobsnow:

Some time ago, you and a bus load of strangers were teleported to another universe full of aliens.

Most of your fellow humans ended up separating and going off to different places, but you and a human woman named Mary Sue ended up staying in the same city.

You and Mary are iconic members of your local community, and you are well-known to the aliens of your neighborhood.

Mary is a pregnant lady — or well, she was recently pregnant when the entire bus was transmigrated. It’s been several months since you’ve arrived in the alien universe, and you’ve been busy with barely getting your own life put together. Because you’re not particularly close to her, you haven’t stayed in contact.

However, one mid-November afternoon, your alien neighbor bangs on your door frantically as if the world is ending.

Mary is giving birth!!!!

That’s wonderful news, you reply.

No, I mean! We need you to come!!! You need to perform the delivery!

Huh? But why?

You’re a human, right? Who else is supposed to do the delivery if not you? Nobody else around knows human anatomy.

...But you’ve never done this before, and you’re not sure how.

How is it possible for a person to not even know how their own species reproduces?!?!?!

The alien insists on dragging you off to help.

What would you do?

1. Could you deliver a baby if it came down to it?

2. How much first aid do you know? Do you know any other medical knowledge?

3. If someone had a gash in their abdomen and they were bleeding in the wilderness, but you are in an isekai world with no 911, what would you do?

4. Would you have the guts to attempt surgery on someone in an isekai world? What if the success rate is only 5%?

NamGi likes this.
  2. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    If TV has taught me anything, to deliver a baby you just yell "Push!" at the woman until the baby comes out.

3. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty familiar with first aid and about a year ago I was still certified in CPR and first aid. So if I really needed to I might be able to. But I wouldn't be confident in my capabilities as a midwife.

Other first aid things I could do decently. At one point, I had to do some mini-surgery where I was cutting into my knee to remove some embedded gravel. That was particularly painful and difficult. Anything too complex is likely beyond my skill and knowledge though.

4. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    1 of these questions are not like the others
    uh. i'd be happy if the baby didn't die. i am not trained in childbirth
    uh. dont let it bleed, pressure on wound, clean the wound before wrapping it and other stuffs i cant pull off the top of my head
    3. If someone had a gash in their abdomen and they were bleeding in the wilderness, but you are in an isekai world with no 911, what would you do?
    uh. no soap in wilderness so wash it best i can then pressure and clean wrap? childbirth is not naturally a gash in the abdomen btw
    4. Would you have the guts to attempt surgery on someone in an isekai world? What if the success rate is only 5%?
    uh no, i think theyd have better luck without me sticking a dirty knife in them trying to mess with their guts with no training.

Toralk, Innieminnie and Astaroth like this.
  5. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    five easy step to baby delivery
    1- get a large tub of water (prefeberaly hot) and towels (lots of them, this is gonna get bloody)
    2- cut the tissue between the vaginal opening and the anus ( this rupture itself most of the time so a clean cut preempetively will heal better)
    3 - during push fase, look into vaginal cavity to see if baby comes head first ( if not or you notice the umbilical cord near head move to cesarian)
    4 - when the head is out, the problem is the shoulder, one must come first and then baby must rotate (rotation isn't absolutely necessary but forcing the baby without care may damage one of its arms)
    5- beat gently until cry ,clamp umbilical cord before cutting

*cessarian - cut gently and prepare yourself for the probable death of the mother

6. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as you have access to fire, it's relatively straightforward to sterilize a knife or other tool. Still, I also wouldn't recommend messing around with surgery. Honestly, most things that require surgery also require intimate knowledge of the body. It's why surgeons nowadays are so specialized.

Astaroth and Lurking like this.
  7. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    I have intense problems with 2 you asshole gtfo

8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    uh hmmm

my problem with that is that the prior times ive sterilised a knife with fire it changed colors and like... it was gross. i think there was ash? been a while since i set metal on fire

10. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Boiling water is typically a better bet for sterilization, if I remember correctly.

Tilgarial and Lurking like this.
  11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    With all the information you're gathering on us, Facebook will be out of business...

And nope I don't have the slightest clue, though I've heard/seen that supposedly the most effective position is actually to squat and to be in a pool of water or something like that.

Either way I wouldn't count on me to deliver any baby...

Lurking likes this.
  12. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. People have been delivering babies for a long time. Most could handle it as long as there are no complications. With complications... well women still die giving birth with doctors sooo.

2. I know CPR and the heimlich and And most normal first aid stuff. I work in a laboratory at a hospital so some from being down in the ER during emergencies but testing is not the same as taking care of ppl so not much more. :p

3. That would depend on the wound.

4. Most surgical procedures without antiseptics and know how would cause more damage than good. I would do something if there was little choice and I had some Inkling of what to do otherwise you would just speed their death and lower the chance of survival.

Lurking likes this.
  13. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    uh ya
    but there was a special profession for this delivering babies thing since ancient times
    they wouldn't trust an average joe to handle this even in ancient times yanno

14. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those ppl are there mainly to make it go smoother and to deal with complications. People have delivered babies with little to no training. Just pray nothing goes to wrong.

Lurking likes this.
  15. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Knowing my hemophobia...I'd probably faint.

Best case scenario, I'll only have a nervous break down and my hands will start to viciously shake and I won't have the strength to grip anything.

...but considering that happens whenever I see a slightly large wound...I wonder how I'd fare with the process of giving birth? (I'm not solely afraid of blood...I'm afraid of all the innards of the human body.)

16. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It might turn out hilarious if she was a alien

But to be a bit serious here, an isekai, I don't know the lady (she might be giving birth to an alien for all I know) and it will probably become a riot, I would rather not find myself in such situation

17. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    *Anxiety* :sweating_profusely:

Nope nope nope- I would be way too paniced to do anything. The truth is- although doctor would be a good profession for me irl- I dare not place another life in my hands. I have no confidense in my abilities to learn correctly and not make significant mistakes. On the other hand, if it was magical in nature then I'd 100% want to be a healer.

18. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe?

Not ebough. I need to get around to taking that first aid course.

Get a clean cloth, apply pressure on wound, if there was no alcohol or antibiotics I'd have to cauterize it (put a gag or leather in their mouth and burn the wound with a stick)

No, I'm a programmer not a doctor, Jim.

GonZ555 and Lurking like this.
  19. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, doesn't make sense to use fire if your knife is covered by mud.....you use boiled water for sterilizzation for emergency, if there isn't water you use fire and as last resort you use alchool.....

Lurking likes this.
  20. Mangikop

Mangikop Observer from the Fourth Wall

Reading List:
    Link
    Cut the belly and make sure you don't cut the baby, then take it out.