Discussion [Poll] Disciplining Children

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

Is it okay to physically hit children to discipline them?

1. Harsh physical discipline is effective and parents have a right to do it

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Harsh physical discipline is okay as long as it's only done occasionally

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Moderate physical discipline is effective and parents have a right to do it

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  4. Moderate physical discipline is okay as long as it's only done occasionally

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Only mild discipline is okay (not hitting!), and parents have a right to do it

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Only mild discipline is okay (not hitting!), as long as it's only done occasionally

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Parents have a right to physically discipline their kids, but I don't personally believe it

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. Physical discipline of kids is not good, but the government shouldn't get involved

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Physical discipline of kids is not good, and the government should discourage it verbally

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. Physical discipline of kids is not good, and the government should intervene somehow

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  11. Physical discipline of kids is a form of child abuse

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  12. I do not wish to answer

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    In different cultures throughout the world, it may or my not be acceptable for adults/parents to physically discipline their children. For example: spanking a child, hitting them with a ruler, or making them sit seiza on a washboard (japan/anime).

However, in many western countries (e.g. US), many examples of these are classified as child abuse, and many public workers (e.g. teachers, doctors, firemen) are mandated by law to report any suspected cases to the government, which could result in a child being separated from their family.

A few questions:
    1. What are your thoughts on physical discipline of children?
    2. Were you ever physically disciplined by adults, as a child?
    3. What do you consider to be child abuse?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    More importantly, may you still get grandsons to kowtow and do you take one or both arms if they lose face for you. :hmm:

3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    When i was a kid, if i did something wrong my parents would tell me off and explain why. Only if it was something super bad did i get a spank on the ass or two. Apart from that, no physical discipline in my family.

So that's probably my standard. The occasional spank, only when warranted, but anything beyond that is probably counter-productive.

4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    if any descendent of mine would misbehave enough to force me to physically discipline them, it is better to cut the problem by the roots and simply kill them and the previous nine generations

Jojo775, Silv0 and jolly-crow like this.
  5. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I feel nothing wrong with it.
    2. Often in fact, since im used to be bad boii. You wont believe if my parent even have throw me to river.
    3. If the physical discipline leave mark or scar on body. It would be bad on future especially on woman.

6. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is sexual disciplining not an option? Huehue

elengee likes this.
  7. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    Not going back home went it's already dusk? Tie them to the Rambutan tree crawling with ants for the Night... If they repent before midnight only then they can come inside home.. Next time they definitely back home before dusk..

Failed examination? Easy.... Throw a tantrum while whipping them with belt... Then they surely works hard not to failed next time..

Stealing? Whip them with thick rattan stick and left them standing in hot weather while wearing signboard saying "I stole things from xxx" Surely they got humiliated and won't steal again

Well this was in 80's and 90's... Starting 00's Government had amend law and said it's illegal to do corporal punishments .. . Not even teacher can rattan their students hand anymore... During my time at school if I got hit by teacher and complain later, my parents just laughed and said I deserved it. Even worse sometimes I got punished again

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    1. This

2. Yes I was physically disciplined as a child by my parents, I did cause them some troubles :blobsweat_2:
    3. Excessive injuries, it would become abuse when the parents are drunkards or suffering some sort of condition that makes them unware or lose control of what they are doing thus causing the child burns or other kinds of serious/severe physical damage :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2019
  9. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I'm very curious about this!

Practically speaking for in the US, it's supposed to get reported if a child showed up in school with a clear visible bruise -- and the teacher asked, "Who did this to you?" And the child answered: "My mom/dad".

A bruise is a temporary visible injury but it might not necessarily scar.

When you say "mark", are you referring only to permanent marks?

10. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The punishment should fit the fault.
    So if they did something make them understand their wrongdoings and a slap on the wrist, figuratively not literally. If it’s something bigger then the punishment can reach from no electronics for a period of time or no toys depending on the child, to being closed in to the bathroom if it can be closed or spanking. That how it was in my family at least. I was born in 95 but both of my parents are from a older generation.

11. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not my thoughts but reality. My neighbor used to beat his sons, one older and one younger than me by two years. The beating was heavy and rough. 10 years later one is a goon and the younger aspiring to become one. Both have served jail time some time in their life.
    As for my view, sometimes being a 'little' harsh may help things. But proper care should be given to them, every kid is different. Some may get traumatized by a small beating some become used to it, as in my neighbors' case. I've been physically disciplined twice by my father and occasionally by my mother. To me, it was a harsh lesson and nothing more.

Tanhalevi likes this.
  12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Physical discipline aka violence is totally wrong! Because teaching to solve things with violence gets nowhere! You can't teach anyone with violence!

And yes, the government should enforce that and prevent people from using violence against children by beating them up! Because the only way someone's gonna learn something is a good beating!

:p

lychee likes this.
  13. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, my sister and me got permanent scar in our back actually, because got leashed on childhood. It would probably become problem to our parents if we report to police but we choose to quiet because its not 'visible' and probably we are too scared to do anything to begin with.

Also our enviroment full of that kind of 'education'.

I'm afraid, but yes im probably example of abused children.

In the past, I have a classmate that got heavy scar on her face because child abuse, she used to be pretty. His parent got on custody and she's move away. I dont really know what happened to her.

Pyoo, lychee and Tanhalevi like this.
  14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I find several of the above answers rather disturbing. I am of the “any physical discipline is child abuse” school of thought. I was not physically disciplined as a child, and I turned out fine. Children are psychologically selfish at a certain age. It’s science. You can’t beat it out of them, however much you might want to. With the right guidance, they do grow out of it, no physical discipline necessary.

I have been punched, slapped, and beaten with a cane as an adult, though, and I do not think it’s okay in the slightest.

15. Lang10

Lang10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was hit with a yardstick made from a tree branch if I did anything bad. Then my brother did something bad to me and punished him only to get punished myself and learn my parents is full of bullshit.

Tanhalevi likes this.
  16. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    It can sometimes be hard to define this objectively from the perspective of the government.

Like the common story you will hear is the drunk father cussing off at the government worker saying: "The hell you getting involved with my family affairs?! My ungrateful son deserves every bit of it! A father gotta discipline his offspring! Parents have every right!"

17. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Sometimes are necessary and unavoidable.
    2. Yes. As memories goes while i at the time still don't know why and what's the reason is the fear of physical punishment keep me away from the subject. As we grow up we learn why they done that although the disciplinary act do grow rebellious spirit in parallel.
    3. Punishment for no reason. Continuous physical disciplinary punishment when the child clearly unable to change behavior even after that has been done.

Renaxan and otaku31 like this.
  18. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i believe that physical discipline is neccessary when the child are doing something dangerous that can lead of harming themself(e.g. climbing windows, tree, wall, playing with knifes or other dangerous stuff).....otherwise that it's just abuse.....

Tanhalevi and otaku31 like this.
  19. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Define harsh punishment and moderate punishment. Obviously hitting children to the point where they are permanently scarred or need to go to the hospital is wrong but physical discipline and the threat of it do in fact work and it's been working for thousands of years. Is it the only way? No, but it does work. To pretend that it doesn't work is nonsense. Heck, it'll probably work on most adults, but we all agree that they have the right to do what they want for the most part.

That being said there's a wrong and a right way to whip someone and some people are terrible at it.

AMissingLinguist and PaladinWolf like this.
  20. Lunaix

Lunaix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still a child, and yeah, my older brother and I are occasionally physically disciplined. The worst was when I brought a book to bed and was secretly reading it in the dark when I was supposed to be asleep. My mom pinched me quite hard around my arms, and my skin came off on a few, but no blood drawn. I remember feeling terrified, and it hurt like hell.
    She has also hit me with a plastic coat hanger, which doesn’t really do much except hurt a lot, it leaves no mark lol. Kneeling was a very, very common punishment when I was younger (family’s Chinese), but I She doesn’t do that much anymore. The coat hanger thing is also very VERY rare, and the pinching thing was a one time thing. She slaps, and she hates crying, so crying would anger her more.

Uh... oh yeah! When she gets angry, she fucking goes on and on and on. And it’s annoying as hell. I just want her to shut her mouth those times.

My dad doesn’t really do much other than intimidate and yell, and he’s bloody good at it lol. He’s thrown things one or two times.
    Pretty sure all of us has anger management issues, but my mom and older brother have it the worse. Pretty sure my brother’s also a bit of a narcissist.
    He goes fucking mental when I don’t do something he tells me to do, like give him his IPad. I was about to take a shower, and he was as well, but he demanded that I gave him his IPad. I told him I was in the shower, but he went mental, man. He put on his clothes and kept banging on my bedroom door (even though I wasn’t in it) until the sliding mechanism broke. Only then did I decide to finally get it, and so I went to the kitchen and handed it over to him, even though he was already there and could’ve got it himself. There, he ducking DEMANDED to know why I didn’t give it to I’m when he first called, so I tried to explain (loudly lol), and I was a bit pissed since hey! He could’ve gotten it himself! But then he got angry and asked who I thought I was talking to (which is something he commonly says when he gets angry), which I do NOT understand because he doesn’t really give respect to our parents, but expects respect? From me? Who he barely even treats like a sister? Hah!
    He got angry, yadda yadda, threatened to kill/fight me (again, common), threw a porcelain cup at my foot (which would’ve probably have been cut if I weren’t wearing slippers), that broke, and I had to clean up.
    He has drawn blood before, both times throwing something. First, it was one of those hotel bells you ring, and second a spoon. He also doesn’t believe something if he thinks it’s false, even if it’s true.
    Yeah, pretty sure I resent my brother the most in the family lol.

lychee likes this.