Discussion [Poll] Disciplining Children

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

Is it okay to physically hit children to discipline them?

1. Harsh physical discipline is effective and parents have a right to do it

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Harsh physical discipline is okay as long as it's only done occasionally

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Moderate physical discipline is effective and parents have a right to do it

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  4. Moderate physical discipline is okay as long as it's only done occasionally

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Only mild discipline is okay (not hitting!), and parents have a right to do it

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Only mild discipline is okay (not hitting!), as long as it's only done occasionally

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Parents have a right to physically discipline their kids, but I don't personally believe it

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. Physical discipline of kids is not good, but the government shouldn't get involved

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Physical discipline of kids is not good, and the government should discourage it verbally

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. Physical discipline of kids is not good, and the government should intervene somehow

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  11. Physical discipline of kids is a form of child abuse

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  12. I do not wish to answer

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but even within countries, there can be a generational or even cultural gap.

For instance, my country has a lot of immigrants, and often times you will hear immigrant populations surprised about the US laws about child abuse.

2. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hence the purpose of integration.

3. Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet 『Gomi Delivery Service』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think physical discipline is fine so long as it is occasional, as it serves as a stark reminder of authority along with emphasizing a lesson. I have been disciplined in the past in such ways, notably the "Belt of Eternal Suffering". Although, I don't think discipline to such a degree is necessary unless the youth refuses to acknowledge other forms of punishment. As for child abuse, I think that starts when physical discipline turns to habit or causes unnecessary pain/stress/fear.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  4. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, it’s arguable to what degree. Some people will defend or claim they have a right to their historic cultural beliefs.

Furthermore, there will always people who argue that that there are universal values that transcend culture. For example, some people will say slavery is universally bad even though there may be a country in the world where slavery is normalized and accepted as part of the culture.

Relativism can be especially challenging in those kinds of contexts.

5. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Which they do unless they break the laws of where they moved.

I'd say that's largely true as well. Those are usually great issues like slavery and genocide though. Other than things like that you're expected to vote with your feet and move to live somewhere which has practices that you agree with.

lohwengk and reagents 11 like this.
  6. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is showing their kids their hypocrisy.

7. lohwengk

Reading List:
    Link
    Though the parents should first make sure that what the child did is actually wrong and not merely something they don't like.

Aegis21 likes this.
  8. lohwengk

Reading List:
    Link
    Punishment for the sake of showing off their authority is just abuse.

Bitter Sweet likes this.
  9. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

10. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    My answer is stick and carrot. It's super effective.

11. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not hypocrisy that different people have different rights. It would only be hypocrisy if they let their other children do it but they couldn't(because kids need to ask permission). It would be hypocrisy if it's something that doesn't have anything to do with authority level. Like them saying that overeating or lying is bad but doing it themselves.

12. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe in spanking but it is how hard you hit the kid, what you hit them with, and how often you hit them!

13. lohwengk

Reading List:
    Link
    You seem fixated on the idea that those in authority have more rights. Assuming you're a citizen of a democratic country, you should know that your President or Prime Minister does not have more rights than you do, though his employment package probably offers him more benefits than yours. Hence parents do not have more rights than children, especially if those parents want to educate their kids properly.

14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    In the United States, by case law, children are essentially considered property of their parents... if I’m remembering my law classes correctly. I could be wrong.

15. lohwengk

Reading List:
    Link
    Socially, most cultures hold a similar view, I believe. But if I'm not mistaken, most modern countries also have something like a Bill of Rights which enshrine the basic rights of their citizens; and these normally do not exclude children.

But seriously, do you really want to treat your child like a piece of property? Just what do you think will that teach him?

16. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course I wouldn’t. But from a legal standpoint, it’s different. If I remember case law correctly, the whole reason parents can pick their children’s schools or what they can learn is based on the idea that they “belong” to their parents.

lohwengk likes this.
  17. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    The President has the right to order the military into action. I don't have such a right. On duty police have the right to carry guns onto school grounds. I also can't do that. Parents do have more rights than kids. That's a simple fact. Not something really debatable. Parents can generally decide what medical treatment they will receive. Their children generally can not. Parents tell their children what time to go to sleep, what time to wake up, what to eat, what not to eat, where to go, where not to go, when to speak, and when to be silent.

Anra7777 likes this.
  18. lohwengk

Reading List:
    Link
    The President's so-called right to order the military is part of his duties under his job scope. You can't because it's not within your current job scope.

Parents may have certain rights over their children, as Anka pointed out for the case of the US. Other countries, even when they don't legally define children as the property of their parents, still have similar social (I.e. unofficial) rules. But how those parents exercise that power has an impact on their child's education.

Exercising their right to do one thing but say another towards their children will almost certainly not bring about desirable results.

By the way, saying one thing but doing another is what's generally called hypocrisy. Afaik, parent's rights over their children does not trump this definition.

19. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Explaining it doesn't change the fact that he has such a right and I don't. He can also pardon people which could be more personally useful.

It doesn't need to trump the definition as you're misapplying it. They're not doing one thing and saying another. Hypocrisy is espousing beliefs that you don't believe or follow not necessarily doing one thing and saying another. I kind of explained this earlier. It would be hypocritical for someone to tell their child that they shouldn't drink because drinking is bad and then drinking. It would not be hypocritical for someone to tell their child that they shouldn't drink because children shouldn't drink and then drinking. You are conflating the two and calling it hypocrisy. Most arguments based on the authority of the parent would not be hypocrisy like that example. Like an on duty cop telling civilians not to bring guns to school grounds is not hypocrisy. I also don't think "When you're an adult" arguments will necessarily have a detrimental affect on people.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019