[Poll] Would you become a house-wife/husband?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 17, 2017.

Tags:
?

Would you marry for the money and become a house-wife/husband?

1. I'm male, and yes I would marry for the money

30 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. I'm male, and no I wouldn't marry for the money

35 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. I'm female, and yes I would marry for the money

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. I'm female, and no I wouldn't marry for the money

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. Professor Charles Francis Xavier

Professor Charles Francis Xavier Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's basically getting married to Qidian.
    Definitely no, also what happens if they want a divorce? I'm basically screwed over.

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I would. I am willing to be whatever she wants. Slave? Sub? Butler? I'm into all that kind of stuffs as long as she buys whatever I want.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  3. igiveup

igiveup a good boy

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like ur trying 2 force disincentives even if they end up sounding stupid.
    Like, if she is a billionaire, it'd be easy and default 2 hire nannies no? Cleaners? Cooks?

I doubt you'd have 2 live like a slave at least.

Either way, as a dude calcualting wise I'd definitely say yes, and not necessarily 4 the money 2.

Not many easy opportunities 2 do and impregnate hot young female billionaires that belongs in the 0.00001%, since she is also smarter than me, and more attractive than me.

I'd stick around for like 3 years then run away, cut all ties with her and the kid, if the girl doesn't stop trying 2 limit me 2 much.

Can easily restart life at 25, and the stigma for dudes isn't the same for girls - not like I'd have 2 carry the kid 4 9 months 2. Like, I'd boast about it, treating it like a conquest. Preggered a genius billionaire hieress, would be like getting a princess 2 have ur kid.

I'd feel I'd done my job as a dude.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  4. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    hehehe xD

SoulZer0 likes this.
  5. Absence

Absence Abs-kun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, let's be real here, they're rich. They'll have maids and butlers and stuff, we wouldn't be doing much housework at all. I would actually love to just be spending time with my kids.
    So yes, I would do it. Though, it wouldn't be for the money. I'm a very frugal person in the first place, and as long as the other really loves me, I don't think I'll actually be mistreated all that much.

6. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no much different between her and my parents if she control the finances. How could I not love her for money. I just need to be thick-skinned and shameless.

7. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to point out that there is no specification that a) The potential spouse loves you and b) The country you will be going to will have democratic values in any way and that the spouse need treat you as remotely equal. For all you know, the spouse wanted a slave from your country and found you to be an easy target who would sign their life away. In other words, there is no specification that you will not be going into a horrible situation which you really would have no recourse in order to escape.

8. craz

craz Peach Manic

Reading List:
    Link
    If I marry a rich person why am I struck doing the house chores? Where are all the maids? Damn this is mess up!! It’s a big no!

9. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a butler sounds nice... I would not mind if I don't hate the other person, plus she's rich and It'd give me time to experiment with cooking and play or read stuff
    Not to say you could just live with her and do butler & ojou sama roleplays *cough*

10. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, I think another way to look at this is that these days, it's not always the case that married couples will choose to have shared accounts. Plenty end up keeping separate bank accounts, in which case, obviously you don't have access to money that isn't nominally yours. If a significant other tells you: "I don't think it's a good idea for us to have merged finances," is that a red line for you in the relationship?

Anyways, practically speaking, I think in most couples, there is typically one partner (either the husband or the wife, though often the more responsible one) who takes greater initiative on paying the bills, managing investments, stocks, etc. Would it bother you if you didn't have that immediate control over finances?

I mean, if your wife/husband loves you, I'm sure that you'll be able to live a comfortable life, and mostly get whatever you need (and I imagine that it's those "benefits" that people are interested in, even if they don't exactly control all the money). However, if you're a spendthrift spouse that can burn a million dollars on a shopping spree, I'm not sure how comfortable our husband/wife might be at giving you full control of the car keys.

Well, in the US, it's a little more complicated than that. Prenuptial agreements can override the default 50/50 split, which is why it's actually exceedingly common among wealthy families to get them in advance to a marriage. There are some limitations, but depending on what state you are in, you can sign away your claim to a husband's business or house or existing fortune or various assets.

@Katsono is right that ridiculous agreements won't be held up in most courts, so generally speaking, you can't sign away your right to alimony, so you can rest assured that you wouldn't be rendered homeless or starving or poor or something like that, but the presence of a prenuptial agreement can certainly tip the scale in favor of one side more than the other, if it is signed.

Anyways, I'm only familiar with US law -- who knows what marital laws are like "overseas". Maybe your spouse is the lord of a drug cartel in Somalia? I hear they don't have civil courts there. XD

Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from, if you viewed it as a "threat".

To be honest, the scenario didn't quite capture the real-life analog that this is based on, because it's quite often that this exact same situation pops up without seeming like a "threat".

I know too many college/university couples that were faced with a difficult decision in senior year when they graduate. For example, I have a good friend from Thailand who came to US for undergraduate university, and his girlfriend (American) was planning to going to medical school. The thai guy was going to go back to Thailand after graduating to help with his family business, but his girlfriend wanted to go to California for medical school.

So this brings up an interesting question:
    • If you're the guy, would you be willing to give up on your family business and move to California with your girl?
    • If you're the girl, would you be willing to give up on your medical school dream and move to Thailand?
    A lot of couples are faced with this problem when they graduate from university in their senior year, because lots of people could be headed to lots of different places to pursue their careers.

Many couples briefly consider whether a long-distance relationship is possible, but the conclusion for many is that a LDR probably wouldn't work.

This is a situation where one party has to give up on their dreams, or else they must give up on the relationship.

There's no "threatening" coming from either party anything... it's simply just a difficult choice... because both the boy and girl would like to keep the relationship together, but the reality of the situation makes it difficult. Perhaps the boy said that he really doesn't have a choice -- e.g. that his family will disown him if he doesn't inherit the business -- in which case, as the girl, you have to decide whether your profession/dream is more important or your relationship?

Whichever choice you make, in either case, you have to pick and move forward with no regrets.

+1 absolutely agree. I feel like this kind of marriage would be really stressful......

And then your yandere control freak husbando/waifu thinks you’re cheating and divorces you.

Or wait, probably more realistically will tie you up in the basement I think....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
  11. lacerem

lacerem Because... I'm Batman

Reading List:
    Link
    This life is like a cheesy soap opera, if you don't like she probably don't like you too. this marriage will collapse in the first year and if you're overseas it's and don't look like the locals be a language teacher after the inevitable divorce. Just don't start anything if your culture have stigma against divorced people...

12. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd be cool if there was a certain housemaid you could recommend to be your personal trainee maid~
    Like Lychee said, I don't think you have to only take it in the context of them being threatening to you, but the distance barrier that could tear apart a relationship.

13. igiveup

igiveup a good boy

Reading List:
    Link
    Much difficult decision.
    So stressful.
    Such dilemma.

All your posts and polls scream "first world problems" u know. Sound so entitled.

[​IMG]

14. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would 100% depends on the personality of the Husband, and the circumstances. So I'll take this in the context that, I know that a long distance relationship won't work so I decide to go with him overseas. I would not be a spendthrift nor would I be too frugal, I would teach kids (If I have any, Or adopt any) about the real value of currency rather than give them an allowance than my imaginary husband would give me, Which would be enough to fund my pretty cheap (to most likely even a millionaire) hobbies. (Which I would take up when given approval)

There would still be time to do my hobbies though, It won't take that long to clean the house with modern cleaning equipment, and most likely, there's already a cleaning crew taking care of that.

lychee likes this.
  15. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would someone like that fall in love with me in the first place...?
    It depends on how desperate I am, I rather not marry in for the money unless I desperately needed like my sister needs to undergo some seriously expensive surgery in order to live. Also, that person has the money and I can't use it freely so what's the difference between a servant and what you described?

16. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I'm of the opinion that there isn't a thing like true love and that you can always find happiness with someone else, even if you "love" them, so I wouldn't see the point. Honestly, I'm largely of the opinion that two people from starkly different cultures and with different values would never be able to have a lasting happy relationship anyway.

17. Manic Josei

Manic Josei 《Josei in a Shoujo's Clothing》

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah! If that person is a scum and will just treat me less than a dog, I'd rather live as an old maid! Plus I don't want to deal with despicable in-laws.To hell with money! :blobthumbsdown:

18. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Where is the money you're talking about?

It seems as if the stay at home person didn't marry for money at all ... and as I would neither sign, nor let someone sign a prenup that harms one of the parties involved my answer is a simple: NOPE!

19. Unsleepyknight

Unsleepyknight Corrupted

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep,I would marry her.Not for money,But for the kids.If I have 2 sons then I'm in but if not then divorce,nobody cares if I'm homeless.I can be a mob on the street holding boomstick waving it to people.And most of all,I'm a knight,so it's my duty to serve my wife,even if were poor.I will only require 2 sons and no restriction to my gaming habit.I don't particularly love my wife? I'm sure it will be okay.Think about it when you read stories about arrange marriage and it's cool I think.I'm not attractive so it's a bonus that we'll marry each other plus she's beautiful asf.I think rather than calling it slavery just call it blessing.

20. Pacekot

Pacekot [Spades] [Blackjack #10]

Reading List:
    Link
    I more afraid if she not willing