[Poll] Would you become an adventurer?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Jan 2, 2020.

Tags:
?

What percentage mortality rate in the statistics would discourage you from becoming an adventurer?

1. I'm male - 100% mortality - Only if everyone dies!

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. I'm male - 95% mortality

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I'm male - 90% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm male - 80% mortality

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. I'm male - 66% mortality

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. I'm male - 50% mortality

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  7. I'm male - 33% mortality

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. I'm male - 20% mortality

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  9. I'm male - 10% mortality

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. I'm male - 5% mortality

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. I'm male - 1% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I'm male - 0% mortality - I would never be an adventurer

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  13. I'm male - I'm unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I'm female - 100% mortality - Only if everyone dies!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I'm female - 95% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. I'm female - 90% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I'm female - 80% mortality

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  18. I'm female - 66% mortality

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  19. I'm female - 50% mortality

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  20. I'm female - 33% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. I'm female - 20% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I'm female - 10% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. I'm female - 5% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. I'm female - 1% mortality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. I'm female - 0% mortality - I would never be an adventurer

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  26. I'm female - I'm unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. I do not wish to respond

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

You transmigrated to an isekai universe and you have absolutely nothing. You don’t even have citizenship, so technically you’re an illegal resident of the country you are in.

Since you have no government documents (or money or credentials), it is impossible to get a regular job.

There is, however, one path to legal residency. If you go to the Adventurer's Guild and become employed as an "adventurer", you will have a permit that allows you to live in this city. In order to renew and retain your permit as an adventurer, at least 70% of your time must be dedicated to taking tasks posted by the Adventurer's Guild.

Examples of tasks include hunting wolves, killing goblins, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, the mortality rate is very high.

Within one year of starting as an adventurer, X percent of new adventurers die.

Note: You have no cheats or remarkable powers, and you are just an ordinary person. There is no system to "level up" or gain skills. If you refuse to join the Adventurer's Guild, you are an illegal resident and at risk for being deported (into the wilderness where there are monsters) at a moment's notice. Proof of citizenship/residency is required to take most jobs.

1. What percentage mortality rate in the statistics would discourage you from becoming an adventurer?

2. Are you attracted to the idea of becoming an "adventurer" at all? Why or why not? Why are some people attracted to this career path?

3. Would you join a party or try to stay alone? What if you were told that joining a party triples your chance of survival?

4. Would you try high-risk high-reward missions or stay with low-risk low-reward missions? What if the earnings from low-risk missions are barely enough to feed yourself?

5. A little after joining the guild, you quickly discover that many adventurers are former bandits, outlaws, and thugs. The line separating the law and criminals is very thin, and many adventurers do questionable things including participating in protection rackets, blackmail, kidnapping, etc. Would you accept a underworld contract to participate in a criminal activity?

6. While taking a job, you are on the road in a rural area and you spot some adventurer's (you don't know their exact identities) beating up a trader to steal their money. Would you interfere? What does justice mean to you? What if your country lacks the power to enforce justice?

imK, Nancy2303, NamGi and 2 others like this.
  2. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    adventurer exposed in many isekai novels are just mercenaries.
    Adventurer would better be called as explorer.

leegood likes this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I become adventurer, I am sure I can contribute to the mortality rate... :blobhero:

only once, tho. :blobsad:

Drake98, lychee, felidormit and 2 others like this.
  4. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What percentage mortality rate in the statistics would discourage you from becoming an adventurer?
    60%
    2. Are you attracted to the idea of becoming an "adventurer" at all? Why or why not? Why are some people attracted to this career path?
    :blobhero:
    3. Would you join a party or try to stay alone? What if you were told that joining a party triples your chance of survival?
    (~^o^) rawr~ *noms monsters*
    4. Would you try high-risk high-reward missions or stay with low-risk low-reward missions? What if the earnings from low-risk missions are barely enough to feed yourself?

(~^o^)/ *fights evil candy plant*
    5. A little after joining the guild, you quickly discover that many adventurers are former bandits, outlaws, and thugs. The line separating the law and criminals is very thin, and many adventurers do questionable things including participating in protection rackets, blackmail, kidnapping, etc. Would you accept a underworld contract to participate in a criminal activity?
    :blobhero:
    6. While taking a job, you are on the road in a rural area and you spot some adventurer's (you don't know their exact identities) beating up a trader to steal their money. Would you interfere? What does justice mean to you? What if your country lacks the power to enforce justice?
    :blobpeek:
    :blob_coughblood::blobhero:
    :blobspearpeek:
    :blob_plusone::blobflag::blobcatcop:
    :blob_ghost::bloblove:

lychee likes this.
  5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd definitely do so, to make my dream harem and add Lychee to it. :aww:

anon likes this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care much about the mortality percentage, I care about the rewards, in isekai, adventurer means killing monsters (big legendary monsters) going to the guild, exchanging the monsters for hefty rewards :blobhero:->:blob_nuffies:
    Isekai means an adventurer, that is what I learned from novels :blobtriumph:
    Depends on the quest, if a party is necessary then a party is in order :hmm:

High-risk high-reward else where is the fun, if someone decides to write a novel about me, it is going to be boring otherwise :hmm:
    5. A little after joining the guild, you quickly discover that many adventurers are former bandits, outlaws, and thugs. The line separating the law and criminals is very thin, and many adventurers do questionable things including participating in protection rackets, blackmail, kidnapping, etc. Would you accept an underworld contract to participate in a criminal activity?
    Probably not, unless I get tricked :blobunsure:
    Things don't always are as they seem so I will make sure first before making any moves or interfering in anyway, since the rules of the isekai aren't necessarily the same as here on earth :hmm:, something like this

lychee and Silver Snake like this.
  7. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are lots of variables involved. like what did you do before transmigrating. what hobbies/sports did you do. your mentality. things like this can have an impact on your transmigrated future. personally, i'd like to give it a try. not sure if i'd be good or not. no lvls or skills would be a bummer. at least give a decent-sized item box(bag/space).

8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    You are adding this to your harem?

VesperNyan and anon like this.
  9. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. probably the 66%, but if its the only method of securing benefits of citizenship, money, etc. than I'll have to do it no matter the risk.
    2. Yes. Because you get to kill stuff and in doing so become a benefit to your community, become stronger, see a wide variety of places.
    3. Unsure honestly. even if it improved my chances, im wary of others. sometimes a deadly fire breathing 50 ton dragon is less of a risk than a peer with a fake smile and knife behind his back.
    4. I'd start off low risk, unless i felt supremely confident in the particular circumstances for a specific quest.
    5. Maybe. It would depend on the job, the risk, and my morals which might change with hunger
    6. depends on how i feel that given day and my knowledge in the given situation. if its just some poor merchant than yeah id help. if its some rich merchant i might help if he calls out to me and promises me a reward.

lychee likes this.
  10. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Pfttt, makes me think of an idea. An illegal immigrant gets isekai’d while crossing the border to the US and thinks he’s in America.

Kinda reminds me of that movie where a squad of reserve US soldiers get called in to go to Afganistan but end up in Mexico fighting a local criminal gang.

11. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    B But the mortality is 100% for adventurers no mather how i look at it (except for retirement).
    Afterall nobody lives forever, so mortality have to be 100%!

But i can guess you are talking about when out on missions @lychee.
    Even then there is the problem of the mortality being for each mission or is it after X amount of missions/time?

Ohh where is the I would join no matter what the mortalllity is, As you frame it, nobody would even sign up with 100% mortality, but there is always people that would sign up (even if it's just to commit suicide).

lychee likes this.
  12. Boredgasm

Boredgasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if it’s anything like goblin slayer then it might not be so bad so long as you are like the MC.

anon likes this.
  13. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    You must've not thought about it enough because that would mean no time to anything but sleep and there is not even time for enough sleep, make that 40-50%. Instead of 16.8 hours(ridiculous) to max 10-12

1. Only nearly 80%.

2. Excitement, difference to peaceful life, relieving boredom, combat(if I like it).

3. Early alone, if I feel like I can't do it even with minor threats then join a team and try my best.

4. Only if low risk gives barely any money.

5. Probably not, I'm here to kill monsters, even more so if there is magic.

6. I will make my presence known so that merchant doesn't get killed, and if my skill or renown is high enough I will try to stop it, but try to not reveal my identity easily if I can because that adventurer could make trouble in the future.

14. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    What if
    - i found a forbidden tome
    - lets me draw a simple one time magic circle
    - magic circle can be done using simple household tools and a drop of blood from my fingertip as medium
    - main power source is blood sacrifice using all the casualties
    - converts blood sacrifices into stats/combat strength

anon likes this.
  15. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    This is fun, it makes me want to write a scenario like this. Though I don't think medieval times much cared for citizenship and papers, though I suppose it's necessary for your scenario.

Anything higher than 66%. I'll probably become a cook or farmer then. Why 66%? Idk, I like the number.

In real life, I would hate the idea of hunting or killing, even if they are animals or monsters, but in a heartier time, perhaps my hesitance would be lessened. I suppose my main reason to do it is to see if I can. And I wouldn't stop doing it until I saw a reason as to why I couldn't. Or maybe I would do it because I was good at it? I do think I would be. On second thought, I don't really think killing things would be for me. Like I would do it once a month if I absolutely had to, you know, to pay the bills. I would much rather travel with a party and document their struggles.

I would start out doing it on my own, until I became fairly proficient - wouldn't want to be slowed down at the start by others, as that's usually the slowest bit - and then I'll look for a strong party, and document their adventures.

High risk high reward, that way I don't have to kill things as often.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I probably wouldn't do it. But I probably would eavesdrop. Never know the price for information in a criminal city. Is eavesdropping a crime? Then I guess I'm a criminal. :blobshrug:

It depends on how strong I am and how strong they are. If I can take them then I would ask them what the problem is. If I'm not strong enough, then I would wait and help the trader up and try to cheer them up, and then ask what it was about.

lychee likes this.
  16. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think 90-100 percent mortality rate would be very bad. Its very likely that stats are more like 60-65 percent range for new adventurers since the guild interest would likely be to keep as many man power as possible so you would get some assistance. I think I would make it to higher than average survival rate since I have some survival training (basic shelter, food, and defense training). Also if I am cautious I think I can wing it to survive as long as Im not fighting a wyvern or dragon.

I think its a good place to gather some intel. Also in some isekai adventures do task like repair building, play with kids, etc so its likely not all the jobs have huge death rate. If I play it smart I think I can survive.

Its a double edge weapon, humans survive due to teamwork. Humans are far weaker and fragile compared to many animals so we use teamwork, technology, and tactics to compensate for the weakness. I would not rush finding teammates due to the possibility of betrayal, robbery, or stupidity. Stupidity in the sense that some people over estimate their ability and not only get themselves killed but also likely get you killed. Also is there magic in that world or am I the only one powerless?

It depends on the mission, manage your risk to gain ratio. I mean it depends on how prepared you are to handle the task. You also have to take into account opportunity cost with the resources needed to complete the task. For example, imagine you get huge reward for killing a dragon, however the materials used such as potions and scrolls cost surpass the high reward gained from the mission. I think I can handle money more than average people due to Economics minor. My party would likely never be bankrupt if I manage the money.

Well reputation is actually an important capital that not many people take into account. Yes, these less than legal actions would have high reward, but they can also hinder your growth. Would you hire a group of adventurers that are known to do blackmail, kidnapping, etc? Its all about trust and trust can get you paid alot. I forget what mercenary crew it was, but in Italy during the renaissance there was a guy known to keep his contract no matter how much the other side bribed them. He got paid from the city states just not to fight them. Although his contracts were on the expensive side, the customers knew that once he took the contract the guy would not betray them. This image is far more valuable then the momentary gain from doing the questionable activities. I would do the same thing as that guy. Do not misunderstand it doesn't mean that I wouldn't do less than questionable actions, just maintain a finesse and take into account things that wouldnt hurt my reputation.

Depends on the situation. I follow the teachings of Darth Traya. Beware of charity and understand the consequences of your actions. I act according to the situation and not go in guns blazing. The hero complex would likely get you killed with making enemies of the adventurers. If the situation was in your best interest kill that asshole.

lychee and anon like this.
  17. VBS

VBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing would really discourage me. I get to gain legal status - for that I will work. It's better than being an illegal immigrant.
    I'd probably have a greater chance of dying if I'm hiding out outside the city as an illegal immigrant and have to hunt for my food anyway.

Yeah, Sure. I'd use my knowledge from this world to make guns and explosives to improve my chances of survival and success rate of hunting.

I'd probably spend most of my time solo so I can keep the details of my OP equipment to myself. Now if I found a decent party comprised of cute girls, I'd be inclined to join.

Whatever I can handle. Barely feeding yourself is better than certain death. As I upgrade my equipment, I can take more dangerous requests.

No. I'd be the vigilante that hunts these scum from the shadows.

I'd take out my sniper rifle and go for the headshot. Nothing wrong with stopping a crime in progress. Let's take the money of the scum adventurer from his dead body. Let him have a taste of his own medicine - though he won't be alive to know it.

18. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    100% = 1 to 1 meaning a guaranteed death
    95% = 9.5 out of 10 people will die, with the last person having a 50% chance of living (be positive haha)
    90% = 9 out of 10 people will die.
    80% = 8 out of 10 people will die.
    66% = 6.6 out of 10 people will die, with the last person having 60% chance of dying.
    50% = 50/50. Your life and death is just a mere flip of a coin.
    33% = 3.3 out of 10 peolpe will die, with the last one having a 70% chance of living
    20% = 2 out of 10 people will die.
    10% = 1 out of 10 people will.
    1% = 1 person will die out of 100. Let's just hope Mister Misfortune isn't glancing your way.
    0% = yepee. Dying is impossible! But remember, there are no absolutes in the world.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Silver Snake likes this.
  19. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    It would depend. You say we come with nothing. But is this a low fantasy, "people are just humans with nothing special" world with things like Goblins and such?

Or is their possbility for people to become "superhuman" either through magical means or some form of energy/power/equipment?

20. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DELTA FARCE. that movie was the cancerous anus of movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.