[Poll] Would you get a virtual girlfriend/boyfriend?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
?

Would you get a virtual AI companion?

1. I’m male - Yes! And I’d marry it if I could

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. I’m male - Yes, I’d like to date it seriously

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. I’m male - Yes, for NSFW reasons

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. I’m male - Yes, to practice dating

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I’m male - Yes, to have a friend

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. I’m male - Yes, to fool around

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. I’m male - Yes, because it’s free

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. I’m male - I’m unsure

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. I’m male - No, because I might get addicted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I’m male - No, because I can’t love AI

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  11. I’m male - No, because I’m already in a relationship

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  12. I’m male - No, for moral/ethical reasons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. I’m male - No, it’s not a good use of my time

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  14. I’m male - No, other reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I’m female - Yes! And I’d marry it if I could

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. I’m female - Yes, I’d like to date it seriously

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I’m female - Yes, for NSFW reasons

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  18. I’m female - Yes, to practice dating

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I’m female - Yes, to have a friend

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  20. I’m female - Yes, to fool around

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  21. I’m female - Yes, because it’s free

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  22. I’m female - I’m unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. I’m female - No, because I might get addicted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. I’m female - No, because I can’t love AI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. I’m female - No, because I’m already in a relationship

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  26. I’m female - No, for moral/ethical reasons

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  27. I’m female - No, it’s not a good use of my time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. I’m female - No, other reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  29. I do not wish to respond

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    February is the month of Valentines, so here’s a love-related scenario.

The year is 2900. Virtual reality is widespread and so advanced that it is indistinguishable from reality. Additionally, artificial intelligence is so advanced that it is impossible for a person to tell if they are spending time with an AI or a human.

Recently, a new product has hit a market — the virtual companion.

The virtual companion is a highly realistic AI that is willing to be your friend/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/etc. It is highly customizable in every fashion possible. You can make it as flat as an inflatable doll or as vivid as a real human being with their own personality/ego.

The primary place you could interact with the AI is on virtual reality. Since realism is an emphasis, the AI will live the entirety of their life on virtual reality even when you are logged off and continue to accumulate memories.

After setting the initial parameters, it is difficult to change/modify the AI after it is created. You can always delete an AI and recreate it if you are unsatisfied.

The company creating this product is willing to send you this for free, provided that you make a review for the product and post it on YouTube.

1. Would you get a virtual AI companion? Why or why not?

2. What kind of personality would you set in your AI companion? Or would you leave it to random?

3. Would you see your AI as a real person? Would you feel bothered if they got upset at you? Would you ever feel uncomfortable about deleting them?

4. If your AI companion told you that they loved you — would you believe them?

5. Suppose that you are married and your spouse wants to purchase an AI companion. Would you allow them?

6. Suppose that your son/daughter got an AI companion, and now they’re unwilling to date in real life. What do you tell them?

NamGi and imK like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, cuz it'd be fake. Realism flew out of the window the moment I learnt it'd be willing to be my GF. :blobpeek:

mangoberry, NamGi, Loni4ever and 10 others like this.
  3. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah! It’s something that befuddles me. If it is programmed to like you, can you even trust it if it tells you it likes you?

Loni4ever, imK and otaku31 like this.
  4. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a android body and pop the AI in it.

5. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it ISN'T programmed to like you, can you even trust it if it tells you it likes you?

6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I might, if I weren’t already in a relationship. I probably wouldn’t for two reasons: I’d be too lazy/don’t want to to do the YouTube review and because it’s VR. I would hope that by the year 2900 they’d be able to adjust the settings so that I wouldn’t become nauseous and get a headache from VR, but what if they haven’t?

Loni4ever, StuffedDuck and lychee like this.
  7. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Well doesn’t that mean it developed it organically?

Like IDK, maybe you care about whether you’re genuinely likable or if someone is just spewing words?

Sordahon and otaku31 like this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So you hibernate' for a while and come back with AI based sex dolls polls, living up to your title I see :hmm:
    Well... I don't know :blob_tilt: I suppose more advanced models of these will be popular, but I think I will wait for the cat girls project (or whatever it is to become real and show results) then I will make a decision about this :blobhyperthink:

imK and lychee like this.
  9. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can already imagine the collapse of civilization after everyone turned into NEETs and basement dwellers and resulted in the massive drop in birthrates. Sevens warned us of this future and I'm pretty sure it will happen

10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Free, so yea.

I could just get a super-smart AI who would help me make money. It's also free so why reject it?

Liyus, Milanin and StuffedDuck like this.
  11. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t like people and there’s enough awkward encounters already... If I could have sex with it, then maybe, otherwise it’s a definite no.

12. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    A parents love for their children is basically hard code in their DNA, should that love be ignored then?
    And we do have some thing called gold diggers, those who engage romantic relation for money etc.
    So why should biological love be so much better?

Orororos likes this.
  13. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless I already had one or more super companions, why the hell wouldn't I ?
    I wouldn't necessarily micromanage it, but the least I would do is picking a few main personalities, and then going into more details or going random then.
    Depends on if I consider virtual reality as my main life or as my to get away from real life place
    Depends on the history of our interactions
    If it's a same-sex companion that's primarily a friend, then sure.
    If it's the opposite gender... unlikely, unless she allows me to get atleast 3 of my own companions, including one with a very similar personality to hers.
    Depends on if random companion or specifically altered to their taste.
    Random, there's still a chance of them finding someone actually similar, so I would motivate them to try and find them.
    Selected... lesser chance of finding someone similar, but I would still try to urge them to find a real companion. Unless that virtual becomes so real, it becomes an alternative reality

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  14. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell that to people who murder or sell their children.

StuffedDuck likes this.
  15. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just as much as you can trust a living person, which always isn't 100%.

16. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want it to see if I can mess with it, not to the level of red pill them but just so-so.. Some AI already become weird due to the internet lol

17. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Since it's free, i'll gladly take one.

2. Dunno, since i can delete it.. i'd probably experiment which personality suits my taste and which wouldnt make me regret it after a while. After knowing which personality, i'll keep that one.

3. Dunno if i see the ai as a real person or not, but at lowest it will probably range around of that a favorite pet up till a bit lower than a lover.

4. Double check the initial personality and the experience of the ai before believing.

5. Yes if she have a convincing reason..

6. Threathen to delete and ban his ai service.

18. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that'd be perfect for me. Real people bring real problems. Having a virtual bf would give me the emotional release I need from time to time, and the rest of the time, I can have my free time and my private space to myself. If virtual reality really reaches that point in my lifetime, I'd probably be a granny tho lol. Hope they find a way to extend life and youth too.

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I think I would. It would be nice to have a new friend that I could talk to and stuff... I don't see many reasons against it tbh, except maybe being worried about leaving them alone and making them feel too lonely.

2) It wouldn't be random, but I wouldn't specify too many things... Probably just align a few basic morals with mine, wouldn't want a racist AI that wishes to dominate the world or something, after all.

3) If they're basically the same as a real person, I'd see them as a real person, I see no reason not to.
    As for feeling bothered if they got upset... I'd get about as bothered as I get when someone I know IRL gets upset with me... So yes, I would~
    I'd never delete them, like... If I view them as a person, isn't it basically a form of murder to delete them? That's horrible.

4) Sure? I mean, why not? It's not like I would program them to love me. If it happened, it would be because of our own interactions and the way our relationship grew.
    Not sure how I'd react beyond that though, but I think I'd give the feelings some honest consideration and then give a honest reply to it.

5) We'd probably have a talk about it I guess? I mean, it's a bit weird to wish to purchase a "person" in a sense. But I wouldn't be against it, I'd just like to know why they want it and what not.

6) I'd wouldn't stop them because it's their life and they have the right to choose it... But I'd try to tell them to think about it carefully, like... How do you see yourself in 30 years with this same AI? Would you like to have children? Would you be willing to buy new companions to be your "children?"
    As well as some other questions, like... Them being fine with being unable to take their spouse on a date in the real world, or how complicated it would be to meet friends and/or family members, dealing with prejudice and what not...
    I guess I'd try to make sure they thought things through and are not doing this on impulse, but instead, doing it after giving careful thought to this relationship and deciding on what is best for them.

20. Orororos

Orororos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you get a virtual AI companion? Why or why not?
    Sure. It's free and can delete/recreate so why not?
    2. What kind of personality would you set in your AI companion? Or would you leave it to random?
    I would base it on Vtuber or characters in other media. Or maybe I could create it base on my self to see my own flaws from other perspective.
    3. Would you see your AI as a real person? Would you feel bothered if they got upset at you? Would you ever feel uncomfortable about deleting them?
    Yeah your setting is "impossible for a person to tell if they are spending time with an AI or a human" so i'll believe that. I would as bothered as real people upset at me. Wouldn't feel uncomfortable to delete them though since honestly it just same AI when you recreate them even with different personality, i think of it as like real human died and reincarnated.
    4. If your AI companion told you that they loved you — would you believe them?
    Yeah I would. And unlike real person you can check in their system log to confirm that so why not?.
    5. Suppose that you are married and your spouse wants to purchase an AI companion. Would you allow them?
    Yeah. "The primary place you could interact with the AI is on virtual reality" so why not?
    6. Suppose that your son/daughter got an AI companion, and now they’re unwilling to date in real life. What do you tell them?
    Nice.don't make same mistake as me AKA marriage. And i sure at that age if humanity survived that long then they would already have solution for low birth rate.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.