[Poll] Would you get married to an Internet friend in virtual reality?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 21, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would you seriously marry an Internet friend in virtual reality?

1. Yes - Absolutely! This is ideal for me!

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Yes - Sure, I can accept this kind of marriage

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Yes - Fine, if this is what my partner prefers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes - Begrudgingly, although I would prefer to know about their IRL details/appearance

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Maybe - I need to learn about their IRL details/appearance before I can decide

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Maybe - I need to meet them IRL first before I can decide

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. No - I can do a joke online marriage, but not something this serious

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. No - Marrying an "avatar" feels like roleplay and I can't accept it

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  9. No - I don't believe in digital marriages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No - I don't trust digital marriages

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. No - Digital marriages are impractical

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. No - I have a moral/religious/ethical concern

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  13. No - Other reason

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  14. I would never fall in love with someone in virtual reality

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  15. I'm not interested in love/romance

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  16. I'm unsure

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  17. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What are your thoughts on a marriage that is completely digital? Could you live with this?
    Marriage is ideally a commited, lifelong partnership. It's pretty common for IRL marriage to end abruptly. I imagine that "in-game" online marriage would triple that possibility. It's just too easy for someone to back out. I personally think that it's not worth the investment.

2. What would your response to Fran be? Do you have any concerns?
    I think that it's almost the same as a sham marriage. Perhaps i'll say yes, but would only agree to "play" the role of their spouse in the said virtual reality game.

3. Do you need to know everything about a person to get married to them? Or would you be comfortable with not knowing some things (e.g. their past, a deep trauma)?
    Every legal things about them, like social security numbers, debts, etc? Absolutely, since there's a high chance that i would be dragged into it. Their past and traumas? i wouldn't want to accidentally marry a psycho or waking up in the middle of the night due to gangster encirclement, so of course.

4. If virtual reality was equally as realistic as the real world, do you think you would spend more time online or offline? Would you treat your online friends differently from offline ones? Would you ever date online?
    a) If i could fill my bank account in VR, maybe i'll be online much longer than the usual.
    b) of course a distinction between how i treat people when i donned an anonymous online identity and when i use my own skin. It's just natural.
    c) sham online dating? sure. real online dating? which part of it real?

2. NamGi

NamGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This bitch is into beastiality

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Would Ai-chan marry an internet friend in a game? Already did. He beat Ai-chan in ninjutsu battle and as a result, Ai-chan had to marry him.

Oh wait, that sounds like rape.

4. I Ship anything cute

I Ship anything cute [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What are your thoughts on a marriage that is completely digital? Could you live with this?
    i don't really mind the idea to be honest, as long as both persons are consenting and have ground rules and the like for as to how this would work than I'd be fine with it.
    I could live with something like this just fine and in most things I agree with what Fran thinks ll
    yes, if I do marry them digitally am I allowed to have relationships with others irl? Would they ever consider meeting up one day? What is it about me that they like so much?
    3. Do you need to know everything about a person to get married to them? Or would you be comfortable with not knowing some things (e.g. their past, a deep trauma)?
    I'd like it if my partner would be honest with me and tell me more about themselves because I want to be considerate towards their emotions and by knowing more about their past it makes it easier for me to know how to treat them, but if I've spent along time with them, even without knowing much about who they are irl I at the very least know their hobbies and preferences, likes and dislikes so I'd be mostly ok with it~
    4. If virtual reality was equally as realistic as the real world, do you think you would spend more time online or offline? Would you treat your online friends differently from offline ones? Would you ever date online?
    I would spend a lot more time online, I've never been connected enough with my mind or my body and that kind of virtual reality would be too appealing to someone like me. I would treat my friends differently not because I'm two faced or something but I guess that being online would be a lot more liberating, so I could be more open about my desires and show off what my personality is more. The atmosphere and the type of people I'm around already affects me normally anywayyyyy.
    I would date online, why not? I've never had a love life, mostly because my communication skills and understanding of flirting is very poor. But online it's less commitment, less consequences, more freedom, and I can be more outgoing and social so yea, I would date onlineeee <-<

5. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, probably not because I prefer in-person marriages. Now, my avatar character marrying their avatar character, sure. However, you first want to make sure you know the age and gender of that buddy (both the avatar and its user).

6. VBS

VBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Nope.Nope.Nope.
    "No! WTF! I don't even know you!"
    Yes.
    4. If virtual reality was equally as realistic as the real world, do you think you would spend more time online or offline?
    I'd do AR - both at the same time.
    Would you treat your online friends differently from offline ones?
    Probably.
    Would you ever date online?
    Never.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019