[Poll] Would you sell drugs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 18, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would you sell this drug to gladiators?

1. Yes - I’d sell as many as possible and get as rich as possible

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Yes - I’d sell a lot until I’m rich

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Yes - I’d sell a lot until I have a lot of money

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Yes - I’d sell until I’m average in wealth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes - I’d sell until I’m below average in wealth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yes - I’d sell until I’m above the poverty line

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Yes - I’d only sell if I was financially desperate

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. No - I wouldn’t sell drugs for any reason

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  9. I’m unsure

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  10. I do not wish to answer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry:

You have been isekai’d to another universe and you’re poor with no cheats.

This world has a battle arena (think Roman gladiators), which is the primary sport and form of entertainment for typical people.

The battle arena is highly dangerous (often fatal), but it has the potential to be highly lucrative.

Gladiators are willing to spend an enormous amount of money on supplies and equipment, as long as it gives them an edge.

Shortly after arriving in this world, you made a friend who recently invented a drug that provides a powerful 100X strength buff.

However, the drug is highly addictive and can kill people if they overdose on it.

Would you join your friend with selling this drug to gladiators?

Note: Assume all varieties of drugs are legal in this world.

1. Would you ever sell a drug that has the potential to kill people when abused?

2. Should drug manufacturers be responsible for the deaths from their drug?

3. Do you believe in banning or making drugs illegal? Would you support an effort to ban drugs?

4. If a drug was mostly safe, would you take one yourself?

imK and NamGi like this.
  2. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    <_<
    I still like the term street alchemist

imK, Chrono Vlad, Innieminnie and 3 others like this.
  3. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Hella yes I would put my self first over strangers also it would be mainly the consumers fault if they still take the drug despite the warnings, the best drug dealers are the ones that hate the drug itself so they themselves wouldn't use the product.

Arash1, Innieminnie and otaku31 like this.
  4. Crimson Nanashi

Crimson Nanashi Suu | Loves and protects Master

Reading List:
    Link
    No
    Definitely. I’d do this in a heartbeat to that Perdue family
    Hmm that’s tricky because then the black market usually takes up selling it and gets people addicted to lower quality for higher prices
    If by drugs you mean medicine I would if I have to. I hate taking drugs and would rather drink boiling lava than drink peptobismal

Innieminnie likes this.
  5. NevaGonnaCatchMe

NevaGonnaCatchMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to add the option "yes- but I would fail miserably from getting high on my own supply" for me lol

UnGrave likes this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh. They're gladiators anyway. They will use that shit in order to get a small chance of survival and to regain their freedom

Bloodysin28, Innieminnie and otaku31 like this.
  7. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, why not? You can kill yourself through so many ways, even with many medicines that can be bought freely, so it shouldn't really matter (as long as you don't distribute to the mentally retarded and children)

No, unless they do as I said above. They should only be held accountable for the primary distribution.
    I wouldn't support either, but I would make distribution much stricter and also make some places where you can go for a rehab that are affordable by the poor workers mostly paid for by the government. Other than that, selection of the fittest.
    Maybe. Once or twice or when I need it to come out unhurt of something. Would try my best to not get addicted tho and refrain from even coming close to it until I can safely say I am not addicted (like, a few months without craving it)

8. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sell them like they sell cigarettes...
    download (5).jpg
    with "addiction warning" labels. If u still overdose... well... I did warn you, so not my fault. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    What if your friend argues with you and says he doesn’t want the warning labels because it will reduce sales — and he needs to get rich as fast as possible?

Innieminnie likes this.
  10. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sell it as a forbidden medicine (something not lightly used and only during life and death moments)
    I would still sell it, the buyers knows its effects. 100x without consequences? Keep dreaming, the body might just explode before you even kill the opponent.
    Dilute it and partner up with a merchant guild

Innieminnie likes this.
  11. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Never heard of such warnings denting sales (not where I live, at least), and will try to make my friend believe that. If they disagree, will call the partnership off. :blobpeek:

12. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't sell something like that. Why? Because with such a force multiplier, it guarantees that every gladiator would have to use it every time if they want to have a chance at winning. So basically, you're guaranteeing that the entire gladiator population would become addicted and likely suffer major health consequences and, likely, death, regardless of if they ever make it big there. It's basically saying, I want to screw over an entire population of people, just so I can make some money. That is unambiguously morally wrong in my opinion.

Innieminnie and lychee like this.
  13. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country, cigarette companies spend an extraordinary amount of money (in the millions range) fighting against the laws requiring the warnings on the box.

That should tell you that the projected loss in sales at the minimum is greater than the amount of money the companies spend lobbying.

Innieminnie and AMissingLinguist like this.
  14. Amarulence

Amarulence Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you ever sell a drug that has the potential to kill people when abused?
    If I'm poor in another world, it also means I have no financial outs or people I can rely on for basic human necessities. In times like this, self-sufficiency takes precedence. Since it's the gladiators that are purchasing equipment, this means they aren't traditional slaves. If it's their choice, I won't have any guilty conscience.

I'd be sure to warn them of the side effects, though, even if I could make more money by conveniently ignoring it. I'd also sell until I'm rich, because in these types of societies, even middle class wealth can place a target on your back which nobles can abuse.

And for the real life equivalent: pharmaceutical drugs can be addicting and lead to overdose, but they unarguably help us. Most things, even good things, can end our lives if taken in excess. That being said though, I wouldn't sell them. I wouldn't want to be even second-handily responsible for someone's gravestone.

Only if the drug itself is synthetic. You wouldn't arrest the patent author for a lawn mower if someone died from user error and not a design flaw, right?

Then again, I suppose you could argue that a drug being able to kill someone is a design flaw. It's a tough question.

3. Do you believe in banning or making drugs illegal? Would you support an effort to ban drugs?
    It puts more people in jail. In the States at least, we have too many people imprisoned for petty crimes, and the criminal justice system is milking a profit by creating for-profit prisons where the goal is to keep inmates in their facilities as long as possible.

I don't think we should make drugs illegal—but I do think we should stop using them (the recreational ones that are harmful, at least). We should educate people and reduce poverty in order to fix this flawed cycle we've created. But ideas like the "War on Drugs" ended terribly, so how do we start? I honestly can't say.

Coffee is a drug, right? I love coffee, so yes!

Innieminnie and lychee like this.
  15. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the consumer base is different in your country? Here, all packets come with a mandatory warning, which is almost always (from my limited understanding) ignored. Besides, we r talking about drugs which could drastically tilt the playing field, in an arena of life and death for desperadoes. If one takes it, others WILL also be forced to, in order to remain competitive. :blobowoevil_horns:

The warning is just a balm for my not-so-guilty conscience, and a way of avoiding (or trying to avoid) possible repercussions. I may be EVIL, but the warning has to stay (even if there r certain losses), or I'm out. :sushi_bye::sushi_bye:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  16. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
  17. CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All drugs have the potential to kill people when abused after all the difference between medicine and poison is the dosage. So Yeah, I would have no problems selling the drug as long as I provide accurate instructions on how to take it.

It depends on the circumstances. If the reason for the deaths is their fault like they did not put appropriate warning labels or misinformed consumers then they should be held responsible. However, if the consumers overdosed or the people distributing/selling the product messed up than the manufacturers should not be held liable.

I believe in that to a certain extent. For example, banning highly addictive drugs or highly dangerous drugs or drugs that are difficult to take safely (small dosage difference between poison and medicine) is fine. Otherwise, it's up to individuals to make informed decisions on what they want to do about drugs since the ones impacted are themselves and those close to them.

It depends on its effects and just how safe it is. If the drug is not addictive, is not harmful, is hard to overdose on, and its effects are beneficial then sure. Otherwise, it would depend on how harmful it is but past a certain point I would not take it.

Innieminnie and lohwengk like this.
  18. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that there's substances that are vital to life that can kill/injure you if they're abused (such as fat soluble vitamins such as vitamin A & D). I don't see how this hypothetical drug would be any worse.

Not gonna make the manufacturer responsible for other peoples stupidity.

You're getting into the realm of "I don't like X, therefore X should be banned territory." Same general principle applies (depending upon society) to sex, nudity, religion, etc. I don't want to go there. My general belief is that if the activity doesn't hurt me or mine, I don't care what someone else does.

Depends upon if I have a need for it. Generally, I don't need, nor desire chemical enhancements.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Innieminnie and lohwengk like this.
  19. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    No.

Innieminnie likes this.
  20. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you ever sell a car that has the potential to kill people when abused?

2. Should car manufacturers be responsible for the deaths from their car?

3. Do you believe in banning or making cars illegal? Would you support an effort to ban cars?

4. If a car was mostly safe, would you drive one yourself?

Chemical addiction is over-rated.

I've known too many people who repeatedly do the same stupid shit without the benefit of addiction as an excuse.

I've also known a few people who just casually stopped their chemical addiction without any side-effects. Some of them just had a change in their circumstances and quit their chain smoking or alcoholism without a 2nd thought. A number just switched from smoking cigarettes to non-nicotine vaping without any problems. One guy could switch between smoking, drinking and drugs whenever he felt like it. The neurochemistry of their addiction isn't even the same!

That said, I wouldn't sell these performance enhancement boosters. I'm just no good at sales.

The production side is a different matter, though, especially if it's government regulated. Unregulated high margin industries tend to be overly exploitative of their workers.

Innieminnie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.