Discussion Poor writing or just showing my age?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MoJo, Jul 30, 2021.

1. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been refusing to read most modern light novels lately because of a certain pet peeve of mine. Whether is a shoujo or seinen, Chinese, Korean, or Japanese I get really sick of reading text and comments sections in a story. Doesn't matter protagonists is a male op gamer or a female actress they will enviably do something that warrants reaction from the general public and then you get something copy pasted out of a reddit thread/twitter/YouTube comment section etc. This isn't so bad done briefly or say having a character reacting to what has been said online BUT what I can't stand is repetitive text talk that reeks of word count filler. You know the type, those web novelists that stretch out every chapter for profits at to downfall of quality or plot development.

I'm wondering if anyone else finds this annoying? Or is this the result of me not being on twitter, Instagram or Facebook so I just have a unusually low tolerance for such things.

2. Nospoilerspleasee

Nospoilerspleasee Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you. When I first encountered threads like this, it was okay but it got repetitive, unnecessary, and just plain annoying. The authors could just sum all of it in one sentence or two.
    Normally, I would just skip back to the story.
    I am active in social media so I don't think it's because of that. It's just really distasteful, I guess.

MoJo likes this.
  3. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's just annoying filler most times for word count, but at least when it started you'd at least get other ways the action happened from other views which when used right would fill out the world building. Now I still skim it but just to check, but 9 out of 10 it just turns in to word count filler. Edit: and honestly whole chapters of it is just count padding filler even when it started. I put it down to poor writing skill when used, especially for no real reason

MoJo likes this.
  4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup.

MoJo likes this.
  5. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not on the big social media platforms (I'm only on a meme site for lols and here), but I don't mind the social media stuff in novels too much. It's a bit overdone, but it doesn't drive me away from the genre.

what does draw me away from the genre is authors showing their ignorance of reality and spreading common misunderstandings about the real world. Modern settings are also annoyingly blatantly nationalistic and degrading of others. Oh and the scale is always too small, OP gets too strong too quick, and everything becomes pointless.

At least when it's not a setting we live in, I can ignore some inconsistencies and shallowness and just chalk it up to "magic" or "technology" or "culture", but when it's modern day setting, I find it so much harder to suspend my sense of disbelief when it comes to various things.

Geor, MoJo, Saorihirai and 2 others like this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually think things like that are relatable... and rare? :blobpeek:

MoJo, aShinyVaporeon and Sabruness like this.
  7. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This pretty much is always guaranteed in CN novels with a live broadcast theme in the story. Same with showbiz/celebrity ones. The commentary can actually be quite funny and interesting but it gets redundant quickly though. :blob_tilt:

MoJo, aShinyVaporeon and IceLight303 like this.
  8. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree some comments are interesting others are noting or become repetitive.

MoJo likes this.
  9. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd daresay nobody doesn't like reactions, but their lengths and descriptions have gone beyond ridiculous anymore.

MoJo likes this.
  10. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I only opened facebook because in the early days you could use it to log in and not have to register then google account became more popular so I open that instead.

My only social thing would be WhatsApp which I use to talk to friends and family on it. I don't have any other social media.

oh yea and reddit I use it for local event in my city a lot of ppl like to work out in groups and make new friends. last week it was going to a stand up comedy show at the improv. there are a ton of things on reddit, but there is also a shit ton of toxic commenters too.

MoJo likes this.
  11. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CN novels do live to throw live broadcasts in the wierdest places. I read all kinds of genres, but the BL transmigration into a future novel in which the main character was live broadcasting shapeshifted men stand out to me as the most memorable.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  12. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    True

MoJo likes this.
  13. etsuhun

etsuhun Mer-Mer-Mer-Merm4id!

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought I was the only one who thought that way! CN novels (esp showbiz/entertainment/livestreams) rely heavily on the reactions of the masses. I usually find it annoying especially when the tide of the story will depend on the comments. Like I'm reading this for the MC, not for what some people behind the computer think.

MoJo likes this.
  14. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    But how can you let the MC face-slap and get their heroic deeds known publicly without a peanut gallery? It's too boring if no unrelated people know about MC's private life. MC first needs to be despised by the unknowing public, then face-slap them all and gain their worship! For fame! For internet points!! For GLORY!

I mean, I see this in novels unrelated to the entertainment business as well. It's practically a requirement now.

Honestly, I tend to skim those parts and click on the next chapter. I still stuff my face with junk food webnovels every day.

Lykalee, MoJo and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  15. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, exactly THIS. What you said. I feel the old fogey in me cringe at the whole public peanut gallery and the virtual face slapping of strangers that mean nothing to the protagonists, especially the ones not in the entertainment industry.

Even IRL I always have mad respect for actors and singers that stay off social media. But hypocritically I spend way too much time on the internet, also a webnovel junkie.

ludagad and aShinyVaporeon like this.