Discussion Popular Novels Being Copied to Wattpad Without Proper Credits

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by charioles, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charioles

charioles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently visited Wattpad (A site to publish amateur/hobby novel writings), I see that many popular translated novels are either being copied or probably re-translated there by a number of different individuals.

I'm not against them sharing the awesome works in Wattpad, but I see that they lack in giving proper credit. Most of them only gives link to wuxiaworld without even mentioning who the original writer and translator is. They thought that by mentioning this line "For reading purpose only" or "I do not own the translation" all will be fine. These copiers get thousand to hundreds of thousand view per series which could have supported the original translator from their website's ads view. I might have not known whether there is some sort of rules/agreement between wuxiaworld or other translators and these wattpad copiers, but from the conversation of the readers in wattpad, I see that many of them have not realize that the original translation is much more updated which also means they don't even know about the original translators.

I pity those wattpad readers for not knowing there are actual translators with their own website who have more translated chapters than the one in wattpad. I pity them even more for not knowing novelupdates existed.

JJ, drealicious, Ldyrdy and 3 others like this.
  2. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    haven't really read wattpad but originally if the series wasn't translated the author will not get much publicly anyways from international community. this is what i think.

3. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    from what I know, if a published book (that costs $$$) is placed on wattpad, when reported wattpad will take it out. however, the translations of novel are technically free, therefore I don't think there's any action anyone can take except reporting them and see what happens. MGA may be an exception cause of the deal between KB and WW, but I don't know about the others
    Again: this is me guessing based on what little I know about wattpad

4. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not about translated/not problem. The problem is more to the lack of credit.

5. Rigid Nipples

Rigid Nipples Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really quite some bullshit

6. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Go sleep!!

Make translator put their credit within the translations, lololol. I remember scanlation groups got fed up and did watermarks know the manga and stuff.

7. Anoncommander1

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there is any deal here.... it is just that the FBT ask permission to KB and KB say okay. the same with ATG and Mars. or with japtem/RRL with LMS and etc, etc

I don't really understand what credit you are thinking cause I never read at there can you pointed it out?

8. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MGA is on Amazon through FBT, that's the deal he mentioned I believe.

9. Deceptioning

Deceptioning Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I know my law correctly, translations are still lawfully the translator's and can be protected. That is blown out of the water when an official translation is made however.

runsing likes this.
  10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. That sucks.
    I thought wattpad was only for original content. Sad, quite sad.

11. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe @Shio is saying that the people who are doing the translation aren't being acknowledged by the people copying pasting the novels on wattpad. Right

Shio likes this.
  12. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Well for starters we can help in the comments by giving credit where it is due and also sending messages to those people nicely asking them to have a more up to standard page giving the translators and their sites credit. I emphasize the word nicely lol.

13. Anoncommander1

Reading List:
    Link
    but he said that they are linked to WW right? like linked to MGA index or something like that.

you are correct anything that was made and published for free (like in ncode) was free to use whatever user want. but there is also some of the work that need money to access the raw (from what I hear like CD) if they already made something that was intended for sale it will depend if the contract between the author and the site included on the translation of the novel or not. you might get sued by the author/the site publisher if they want to make one. other than that there is no problem doing the translation.

14. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    No they aren't really linked, at least not MGA. I checked. On the first page, the authors name is mentioned and the fact that it has been taken from wuxiaworld is mentioned.

The readers are really pitiful. MGA over there has only some 120 chapters. And there are a few people saying, please update! Translating over? Pfft.

15. Deceptioning

Deceptioning Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unlawful translation or not, it is a derivative work and is considered an original work of the translator. Being sued by the author/site is definitely not an area I'm knowledgeable about. But in the end: get that permission.

16. Anoncommander1

Reading List:
    Link
    really? wow. lucky me to be active in the right chat so I know aho-update and here.

makenai89 and oblueknighto like this.
  17. Keon

Keon Legend of Xingfeng TL

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the best you can do is to report it but that will be one bitchy move onto the pour souls of the wattpad readers

18. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they would gladly read on a different website if they knew there was a lot more up to date releases there. Just keep the wattpadd community informed.

drealicious and makenai89 like this.
  19. Keon

Keon Legend of Xingfeng TL

Reading List:
    Link
    That is also true but they got to inform them and I am thinking that most of these people will be reading it offline

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Nameless Wanderer 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    The rule for wattpad is that if any translated work is placed on it, the translator can request to have it taken down. Unfortunately, Wattpad will only take it down if the translator requested it and they won't take it down on the request of some random fan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.