Possible improvement on novel recomendations

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Haruko, May 9, 2018.

1. Haruko

Haruko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi.
    Something is bothering me lately... I would like to use novel recomendations more freely.
    It is frankly anoying that recomendations are limited to reading list and many times when i notice a novel that is similar to novels i had read and later on removed from my reading list, i am unable to recomend them.
    So could that be improved? By not limiting it and allowing access to all novels i think that recomendations per novel could be more accurate since now there is typically only small amount of recomendations probably because of the reason i mentioned.

Deleted member 37987 likes this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    see this is the main thing. How can people trust this?
    You notice that something is similar? Ideally, you should have read this.
    But what if I am a troll? The least NU can do from getting this right is by allowing only those which are in your reading list to be put in.
    And why would you want to remove something from your reading list? If you drop something, just move it to a new dropped list.
    Can NU trust that you read the novel even if it is not in your list? No. Can NU trust that you read it if it is in your list? Not really, but at least that means that you know it.
    The current system is to stop people who think two novels are similar simply because of their synopses.

Notatsyet1 likes this.
  3. Haruko

Haruko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    good point. However i don't like to keep novels that i have read enough to know they don't suit my taste and drop them hanging around, but that doesn't mean that i don't know them well enough. Trolls are anoying and i can agree that there is good to be some form of prevention so how about genre's or tags instead of reading list?

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    compare those who still reading it and those who drop it imo I trust da later~ sure if we talk about probability about complete novel being dropped it kinda annoying~
    beside why you wanna recommend something not suite your taste on recommendation page? for that case it is better choice to recommend something on NUF looking for section~
    current tags have huge flaw so I personally against it as recommendation page unless it very specific thing you wanna search for example cute story~ while genre is too broad to use as an option so imo reading list still best choice

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    trolls aside, i think because of the script? I have no knowledge about that so idk. You can ask @runsing about NU's features

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    like, an auto recommendation based on common tags and stuff? Not happening. At least for a while.
    Tags is going through a lot everyday, as the general community can change any tag.

7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has the system reduced the number of poor recommendations? In some cases, implementing even a low bar, like putting novels in your reading list, can reduce trolls and fools. On the other hand, any restriction will reduce user engagement overall.

In my experience, the recommendations on NU are sparse and largely treated as a joke. Maybe it was worse before, but it's nearly useless and largely maligned as it is now.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it really depend on how "adult" and "care" da community so you get the current situation~ make more complicate system is a pain on da butt and supervise it also another pain imo~

9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    well, if we want recommendations from the community, the community gets it valid freedom. Recommended novels cannot be removed, as that would be a breach.
    The recommendations section is generally not treated very importantly, true, because most people make threads to get recommendations. It seems to have worked, as most do't care enough to complain about the admittedly poor recommendations section.
    A change is needed, true. But an automised rec using common tags and stuff is out of question. Any other suggestions are welcome.

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't recommend using an automated system. I was just calling into question the usefulness of the current one. Was there ever a time when people could recommend novels without having the novel in a reading list? If so, were recommendations better or worse under that system?

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not sure, but yeah...I assume there is a reason why the current system exists.
    Forget automation. I meant that, to improve the current state, suggestions are welcome. As for their current usefulness..Some people use it.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Previous system had automatic recommendation based on [Something that I had no idea what it was, probably tags/genres], this led to almost all novels having the same novels recommmended, because the system only showed the first 5 alphabetical results that matched its list. I don't remember ever seeing a novel that started with "C" on the previous system, seeing a "B" was already rare.

asriu likes this.
  13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two simple ways to improve the current system would be to have two additional recommendation sections, both automatically populated by the back end.

First would be novels by the same author.

Second would be novels in the same franchise/universe. To populate this, all that would need to be added would be an extra section in the meta info provided for each novel. So, in the same area as where the author and publisher are listed, you just add an extra field for franchise/universe. If that info is properly added to each novel, those could be automatically recommended for the other novels in the same franchise/universe. So, novels in the Douluo Dalu (Sp?) universe would appear in the recommendations even without user input.

Nearly everyone would find novel recommendations from the same author and/or franchise to be valid, so why rely on users to recommend them?

Finally, a third section for user recommendations should still be kept. Those recommendations may be of suspect value, but I'd rather them be there than not on the off-chance that one of the recommendations is actually valid.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So... Something like this?

Recommendations.jpg

15. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but listing the author's works on the page makes a lot of sense, and having all related novels automatically generated removes the burden from users to update each page individually.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    You just need to click a single button to get to the list of all works from the author... Surely it isn't that hard.

As for the related series, it's impossible for the bot to know if they are related or not, so adding manually is the only way.

LaDyViL likes this.
  17. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hence my recommendation to add an extra field for the franchise/universe to the meta info on each novel. Add it once, and a list could be automatically populated for each novel in that franchise.

18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All of this has been implemented.

Just because an author does a good novel once, does not mean everyone would like ALL their works. There is no need to clutter one novel page with all other novels by the author. Want to see more, just click the name and have your pick.

You say automatically generated, then do tell what is the basis that the program would use to operate? What's the meta info that goes in it? Because it's by the same author, then it's automatically a same franchise work? That's way too irresponsible to generalize things like that.

19. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've repeated this a few times. Add a new field in the meta info (meta info being data about the publisher, author, number of chapters, etc.) for franchise/universe. Once a user adds the proper universe/franchise to a novel, it would be pretty easy to set it up on the backend to automatically generate those recommendations for novels also with that universe/franchise in their meta info. It would take a bit of work up-front to properly tag each novel, but it would also require no maintenance after that first bit of work. It wouldn't be based on author since not all authors have all of their novels set in the same universe, and some universes have more than one author writing novels based in that universe.

Listing all novels by author on the page would just be a nice convenience. I still think it would be a good idea, but I can understand not wanting to because it would clutter the page.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  20. SideKarakterGendut

SideKarakterGendut Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like MAL recommendations section will helps a lot