Recommendations Powers with random effects

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Banana_nomnom, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Banana_nomnom

Banana_nomnom Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was wondering if there was a novel where the MC uses magic or an ability that has a random effect that no one knows what will happen. This just seemed to be a cool concept that I was looking for in some novels.

2. Azninvasion

Azninvasion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm that sounds like a formula for deus ex machina

3. SinCity

SinCity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Banana_nomnom

Banana_nomnom Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose so, I personally just like the possibility for anything to happen instead of getting stuck in a rut with the mc's power.

5. Azninvasion

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean I’m not against rng effects but if it’s for a MC it will almost always be skewed in his favor. Now a side villain or a rival with something like that could be solid as it might actually be balanced

6. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, while I haven't seen it happen with any powers, I have seen stories that utilise RNG for direction, and informed the readers of the fact. So long as the writer is willing to "explain the rules" of the individual's powers (preferably including one on how the effects may make it so that the MC is unlikely to just die off of a few consecutive bad dice rolls), I could consider it reasonable. It would likely work better in something like a VRMMO Novel, where the MC can die without consequences, however, rather than an actual-world setting.

Alternatively, instead of it being completely random, it could just be "Random Magical Element", while the base powers are always consistent. Like, a Strengthening Power always empowers the body, but while Earth Element it reinforces more physical endurance, Wind reinforces propulsion, Fire reinforces physical strength, and Water just generally reinforces everything to a greater level than the default.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like Skyrim's Wabbajack :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    But no, unfortunately I haven't read any novel(s) w/ such power, unless you count on Kazuma's "steal" from Konosuba :D:D:D

8. Azninvasion

Reading List:
    Link
    The closest thing I can think of is kites ability in hunter x hunter