LCD Praise the Orc!

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Spiritsong, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    The scene change needs a little work, anyone else thinks dividers should be added between scene changes?

2. Dori

Dori CDLevit.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm. The last chapters were interesting, though.. the game world seems a bit artificial as the game elements are too present. While the users may limit the 'asimilation' (?) process, there seems to be a disavantage to that as they won't be able to interact the way they want with that world.

I'm curious to see if there'll be OP characters and how OP they may be.
    I'm also interested to see if there'll be dark or cruel moments in the novel and if villain acts will be properly explained and not skimmed out.

3. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 15: Ian didn't do so bad to be able to beat the 3 subordinates by himself whilst also protecting Ray, though it's a shame that Derek had to mess things up. Then again, we're going to be able to see Hoyt in battle. I wonder why Derek is so laid back, seeing as how until now he's seemingly been at the disadvantage against Hoyt. Perhaps he has reinforcements? Or did he personally get stronger?

4. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 17: Grom is Korean right? He's never got the draft? Or am I mistaken? Or was he expecting Gunnery Sargent Hartman (Boot Camp) only to get Tanya von Degurechaff (Hell Week)?

5. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Orc the ultimate race.

6. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    lol Grom's really acting cute for an orc!

7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    lol Grom's really acting cute for an orc!

8. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it was ever stated that Grom was Korean, though I might be mistaken. Also, you never know, maybe he hasn't gone to the army yet.

9. Hamsta

Hamsta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also don't like the "oooh the protagonist is a bad ass video game player" direction most VR novels tend to take.
    But I like VR concept because it's a more believable take on the Isekai (transport to fantasy world) trope. It's much more believable if the MC is on a derp quest to defeat some demon lord because he's playing a fantasy VR game thus explaining how he can do everything without lacking common sense (dude is a gamer gaming, doesn't care about how NPCs see him as or how risky/stupid his actions would be IRL). It's hard to believe MC is on a derp quest to defeat some demon lord because some glowing tart threw some "blessings" at him & told him it's the only way back to his world. I'd sooner believe that the demon lord is an existence stronger than gods if they have to send me instead of dealing with it themselves or that she plans on mind-wiping and/or murdering me after I defeat the demon lord based on the fact I'm apparently the first person in my world's history to ever be transported to a different world (you'd think some random kid appearing on the news claiming to have saved another world & able to do magic or incredible feats of strength would be memorable......)

VR also explains away several plot holes of the Isekai setting such as availability of the inventory/storage, the lack of need of daily necessities (sleep, food, bathroom, etc), the existence and usability of extremely destructive powers (flinging giant fireballs, windblades, etc) that apparently barely harm either the target or the caster, the inability to simply One Hit Kill your enemies/bosses/large monsters by targeting their vitals (because you have to deplete all their HP to kill (also explains why the MC & friends don't drop dead instantly due to lucky stray hits).

It's also very hard for me to believe a fantasy world just happens to have game-like systems complete with obsolete functions such as stats. There's no way in hell stats like "int," "agility," "HP," etc would exist in a believable fantasy world due to how reality works. Like how would such a system classify the intelligence of some like Steven Hawking (high physics IQ) vs Michael Jordan (high sports IQ) vs an idiot savant (very high niche IQ). Or how would the HP stat deal with lost limbs, minor vs major injuries, etc? If I have 100 hp, and a paper cut can do 1 damage to me, would I magically drop dead from receiving 100 paper cuts? Would a one legged cripple with absurd agility run faster than Usain Bolt?
    The only stats that might work is mana (because it's already seen as some sort of energy), strength (maybe how much one can lift....but again, raises the question of different muscles and body builds), and luck (can't really be quantified so might as well use random numbers)

But stats would make sense in a VR game because something like "Int" wouldn't be your literal intelligence but only a modifier for your magic damage while "wisdom" could be a mana regen modifier. Same with "Agility" being a crit hit & maybe attack speed modifier for example.

10. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao, grom is such a wuss!!
    AHAhahahahahah!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I do not mind fantasy worlds with game elements. Provided they do not go overboard with the skills, and the leveling, and grinding. As an example the setting where the protagonist automatically becomes a good sword user just be leveling up their swordsmen skill, I do not like that. I would prefer if it was done so learning a sword skill would give the protagonist knowledge on how to wield a sword, and he had to train and practice to be able to full utilize that knowledge.

I equally despise the whole health thing that you mentioned. The idea that injuries only deal numerical damage is just silly. Now I have seen versions where the health represents the life force. So a non fatal injury will lower life force, or health, but a fatal injury still means instant death.

12. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    an orc with dragonslayer?
    insert guts&blood ost !!!

13. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    chapter 18
    BULTAR !!!
    poor grom even if he is stronger than goblins, he is being treated as pushover

Tutorem likes this.
  14. Hamsta

Hamsta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Problem is that virtually all fantasy world novels go overboard with stats/skills as almost all of them start with some useless high school kid who is suddenly an expert fighter just because he killed a few goblins & acquired some stat points. Like they unlock magic & suddenly they have literal aimbot. Or they learned swordfighting, killed a few things, and suddenly they're at Miyamoto Musashi levels of skill. Wtf.

Also true, making HP "lifeforce" makes much more sense but most novels don't bother doing that. They get stabbed in the face and only lose 30 hp. Derp.

15. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Green Skin seems to be doing a good job. They have minor game elements, basically just quests and evolution, and when you get a class you gain knowledge about that class, but you don't instantly become a master. I also like Everyone Else is a Returnee, a little heavy on the grinding, and their are a lot of skills. The skills are mostly passives and buffs though, like 10% resistance to fire, and temporary strength increase.

16. Nefasdetestasti

Reading List:
    Link
    My God, this new chap is one of the funniest thing I've read in my life xD

Bult'ar!

17. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope Ian starts fighting the filthy elves and humans already. Prove your honour! Protect weak orcs (or goblins)!

Bul'tar!

[Though I honestly don't think this meeting is going to end well. Elves and humans are without honour.]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Chiiiiiiiii and Nefasdetestasti like this.
  18. Nefasdetestasti

Reading List:
    Link
    And Ian becomes a hero of orcs!

Bul'tar!

Chiiiiiiiii and hatoyin97 like this.
  19. hatoyin97

hatoyin97 «Frigid Heart Petrification Manual»

Reading List:
    Link
    >.> is a weird novel for me >.> very weird....

Nefasdetestasti likes this.
  20. Eolan

Eolan Totally serious poster

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on if the novel makes me want to play a certain type of game. While I'm not a hardcore gamer, playing videogames has been a part of my life since 20 years ago. These days I hardly play a new game and just settle for playing lol when my friends are online. So, a novel that inspires me to play a new game or restart old ones is pretty attractive to me. For example, although not a VR, charm of soul pets really got to me since a wish I could play a game with all the elements in the novel. It got to the point that I liked it soo much that It inspired me to write a board game, and play it with my friends to satisfy that need (in progress). So, praise the orc that has an 'inmersion system' makes me want to play a game where the choices I make really matter, and thats mostly where I find the appeal.