Problem with desktop's RGB fans

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Ai chan, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    So Ai-can has a Firerose F4 casing for Ai-chan's desktop, with 3 front fans. As far as Ai-chan noticed, only the top RGB fan lights up. Ai-chan isn't sure if the other two lighted up before, since Ai-chan didn't take notice.

But recently, even the top fan has started turning off while in use. But if Ai-chan restarts the pc, the top RGB light turns back on. But it would randomly turn off later on. Ai-chan noticed this the first time when it turns off while Ai-chan was playing Encased. This never happened before that.

Also Ai-chan needs to point out that the random turn offs happen during rest. The desktop was not overheated at the time, averaging around 60 degrees celcius for CPU and 40 degrees celcius for GPU. Even while playing Encased, when Ai-chan noticed this problem the first time, the CPU average never exceeded 90 degrees celcius.

FYI, the fans work just fine, it's just the RGB lights that seems to have problem.

So Ai-chan's question:
    1. What could be the cause?
    2. Is there a way to fix this without sending it to the computer repair shop?
    3. Is this a sign of a bigger problem with Ai-chan's rig?
    4. If Ai-chan ignore this, will it cause a problem later?

2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Hay, @Ai chan
    Whenever I have an issue with my computer. I usually talk to @xiazixin
    He’s really good at the hardware side of things. I highly recommend talking to him.
    Good luck

SquadCammander354 and Ai chan like this.
  3. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    RGB improves FPS in the west it seems.

Chrono Vlad likes this.
  4. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    are you able to check the stuff in your PC ? if so :
    have you controlled the cables ? (like are they fully connected )
    are the fans connected to some RGB hub stuff ?
    are they connected to each other ?
    perhaps connect the fans to some free fan headers on the mainboard
    or it might be a really trashy PSU not providing stable current on the lower Volt lanes

might be a problem addressing the RGB stuff
    or the used 3 pin connectors while RGB normally use 4 pins (at least if the RGB is meant to be controlled)
    extremely cheap fans

but the main function of the fan is to provide the airflow and as you wrote that function is working
    what CPU are you using ? your temps sounds rather frightening as my CPU sits at 36°C idle and max 54°C under full load

Ai chan likes this.
  5. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WOW, some one actuarily brought corsair case......:blobunamused:
    First, do not use any RGB software provided by corsair. They have their own issues.
    A common problem for the RGB is that it turn offs when your pc went to hibernation (power cut), it will basically stop fans and rgb and some times RGB wont turns on. this use to be a common problem, as bios just boot without turning on rgb, its rare for PC now, but still common for laptops.

when computer don't work, it go to sleep. we called it sleep mode, power is not cut in sleep mode, fans are still on. it will turn on with a click on keyboard.

When computer sleep for too long it go to hibernation mode, which it will turn off the power, fans stopped, and you need to turn you PC back on with power button. you can change it in power settings.

It your playing halfway, and suddenly this happens, its because power supply tripled. stay away from your PC at those time, it will likely explode if it's make by gigabytes.
    Try do a 3DFurmark and AVX stress test and see if it trippled.

Just open the back pannels, there should be 2 wires or 3 wires (daisy chain) from each fan or or 1 wire if from Thermaltake. (fuck Thermaltake). And make sure at least 2 of them are connected,
    if not then connect them to the motherboard RGB header, Wire Spitteler, or HUB.
    Check your motherboard manufacture for RGB control software or just dumped them altogether and look for a RGB controller.

Ai chan and SquadCammander354 like this.
  6. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh, it is Gigabyte... should Ai-chan be worried here? By at rest, Ai-chan didn't mean the computer was sleeping, just that it was doing non-stressful things such as browsing the net, sex chatting and watching anime.

Ai-chan will try the 3DFurmark thing. What should Ai-chan be looking for when doing the benchmarking?

Also, what RGB management software is good for windows 10? Free, please. Ai-chan doesn't want to spend money just for pretty lights.

Thanks for your help.

7. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should troubleshoot the device.
    Disconnect the fan rgb cable and replace it with others.
    If the other fan turns off, its software problems
    If the problematic fan still has problems after replacing connection, its the fan problem

Ai chan likes this.
  8. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    oh it is gigabyte? You should not do anything to your computer right now. Turn off your computer and check the model. If it's 750w or 850w the chances are you get a failed product. Especially GP-P850GM and GP-P750GM.

If it's that specific model, power off, disconnect the psu from all component and sell it to a electronics recycling company. Gigabyte probably won't refund with their rma policy.

Please don't use those PSU, as it may bring harm to you physicall.

Do not do anything (like 3D Furman or stress test) to your PC if it Match the above gigabyte models. It will exploding, best case would be damage Ai-chan's PC. Mid case would be damage your PC and Ai-chan. Worst case would be damage Ai-chan's PC and Ai-chan and burned Ai-chan's house.

9. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is the reason why Ai-chan's plug caught fire?!!!! God fucking damnit!

10. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from the led strip cooking itself dead, it's either the power supply being unstable/unable to supply enough power ... or your bios or OS is configured to turn them off according to a sleep timer or power saving mode.

As a side note, I find Gigabyte fairly reliable. My power supply is one, the 430W. I had a Gigabyte video card but I replaced that with a more powerful modern one recently

[edit] Turns out that it was a Corsair. Hmm...

Personally, I think it's your power supply. All 3 fans are probably connected to the same power rail and your power supply might not have enough juice to keep them all supplied. Which is weird since led strips don't actually take that much power. It might be a current draw thing. Maybe if you disconnect one of them, the other two might work.

Also, I found this. Food for thought, even if it's not your exact symptoms.
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-fix-flickering-led-lights-in-your-pc-case/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Ai chan likes this.
  11. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Where to check the model number?

12. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually when memory dead it will bluescreen. When GPU or CPU or motherboard your PC should not be able to turn on.
    It have highest chances been power supply.

If it's other brand than PSU (not the gigabyte exploding ones) you could used a power socket amp meters and measured the total power draw. Though you can't do much other than finding it triple. Depends on your location I have 2, 1300watts psu, that I'm willing to give out for free. (Self shipping ofcause) .
    Should not cost more than 20 or 30 usd? In shipments. Though I probably can't get the $, would be nice if you sent some local specialty back.

Ai chan likes this.
  13. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah wait, Ai-chan just checked. It's Segotep AP-550W. Only the motherboard is Gigabyte. Man, Ai-chan was worried it would explode at any time.

14. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    AP-GM series should be fine.
    Now sent a photo of the sticker on your PSU, and other components on your system

15. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan isn't home. Ai-chan will try to send it later tonight. Thanks.

16. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    A picture is fine if
    Sure, no problems. If you don't know the components just take a general photos of it, I'll most likely knows.

17. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your plug caught fire?

1. Dont buy cheap extention plugs.
    2. You have to check the max draw of your plug. If it says 1000 watts, that means your psu is extremely faulty.

18. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you never know if the person build it or if it was some ready made/ party pre config PC
    while buyers might look at CPU and GPU the rest are components the seller might gettheir margins on
    best case they sell old but slot stuff that works, worst case its some cheap trash that endangers your components, your health and perhaps your home
    my brother once went with a 30€ no name chinese PSU worked 2 months than it fried the CPU GPU and RAM strangly the Mainboard survived

sadly its hard to judge what you will get at quite a few sellers and even a high price might just mean they ripped you of more - just look at Dell
    some OEM Hardware, "Design" cases that are some basic steel case enshrouded in 100% plastic and that mostly for a premium price

thats why i prefer to build my own PC full control over the components and is shouldnt get some risky hardware or stuff that slows my PC down by 40% compared to the potential performance of the components

thought shops might be a problem if you get broken hardware right from that start i got broken CPUs, GPUs, Ram and a brocken Mainboard so far most stuff wasnt a problem worst was the mainboard where seller refused to send replacement before the manufactorer tested the board and said its really broken - send back to taiwan via ship and the rest wasnt fast either i waited 4 months for a replacement board

if all works its fine but if you have some problems it can get nasty fighting for replacements or refunds so the cheaptest shops arent always the cheapest in the end ...

Ai chan likes this.
  19. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't know what the max draw was. But it's fine, it's a pretty old extention plug bought 20 years ago so it was probably nearing the end of its life. Ai-chan threw that shit out even when the other 3 plugs on that same board was still fine.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  20. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    Make sure that they have Surge Protection, don't wanna brick your Computer or hard drives.

Ai chan likes this.