Problems with names of Chinese characters? (new poll options)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by remy911, Apr 6, 2016.

?

Chinese name problems?

1. Yes.

12.5%
  2. Yes. I also have this problem with Korean novels.

17.5%
  3. Yes, but I have this problem with all novels

17.5%
  4. No. I only have this problem with Korean novels.

5.0%
  5. No.

47.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read too much stuff. I can remember the main characters, anything beyond that is gone. No point recalling them anyhow.

I do have some problems in scenes as well though. Massive gathering with many people of the same clan for example. No clue who is who 2 minutes after introductions.

2. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Supreme Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I only remember names from novels i find truly good.
    Novels like My Beatuiful Teacher, or God and Devil world i have no idea what their names are.
    If it happens that the next chapter i read in novels like those are a from someone else POV i might think they are the mc.

3. Felt

Felt Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember the most important names. Like the main character, love interests, family, and the teachers.

In xianxia I used to try to keep track of the villain names before but realised another villain would probably take there place anyway.

Thing is from context clues even if I temporarily forget some characters names as long as I deemed them somewhat important i'll remember to associate them with that name again.

But when I'm done reading, whether it's japanese, chinese, or korean. I usually end up forgetting the names, but remember the story very well. Well the least i'll remember is some mc names, but sometimes even that can escape me. Unless I follow the story religiously or something I guess names arent all that important to me.

4. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I think its easy to forget since its translated into Pinyin. A lot of the times, the characters are actually different in Chinese.

5. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    As an avid reader of Three Kingdoms, and KDrama watcher... I don;t have any problem whatsoever...

6. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Read Malazan Book of the Fallen and then you can complain about the sheer number of main characters and important side character. They have several pages of character lists with just the important characters for every book

7. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Its ok if I was following the series chapter by chapter.. but the moment it entered the semi-drop zone and gets compiled for months and months of void, I start to wonder who's who.. and its a pain to find out because the names are pretty similar.

8. makenai89

makenai89 The Divine Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with remembering names, up to a point. If there are too many characters with uncertain roles in the story, I'll be troubled in remembering who's who, no matter in what language the novel is (look sideways at King Shura). Aside of it, there's a "turn on and off" system in my head, so I usually only remember who's who when I'm reading it, but forget it as soon as the tab closes....

9. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really have a problem with the names unless there are like three different Lins or Jiangs etc. I remember one was like Jian cheng and another character Jiang cheng or something like that in the same chapter. Seriously? The author had no better name choices?

:There is also the problem when novels bring up some character that was last mentioned fifty chapters and expects us to remember. SMH.

10. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I had to do a double take on those names.

11. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, when they have almost identical names (like a difference of only one syllable or two). I've haven't read much korean novels so I don't know about them. My problem is with nicknames and titles, especially when I started reading Chinese novels where terms are left as it is (e.g. lao ye, nubi, xiao-something, etc.) and I had to double-check the index section every few sentences or so.

12. SilverTap

SilverTap Teenage Hand Model

Reading List:
    Link
    Korean especially and side characters of all novels, actually i have problems to remember my own name hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.