Resolved Problems with std. List

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Nepheos, Oct 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nepheos

Nepheos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    does anyone else have weird problems with the reading lists, more specifically the standard reading list? I never put anything in it, but sometimes novels just wander there on their own from my actual list. there are even some novels in it I've never heard about and some have progress marks.

Edit:
    forgot to mention: sometimes the moved over novels from my main list are reset back to chap 0

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For a moment there, after reading the title, I thought of a specific category of human diseases and/or programming language....
    But ignoring that...

Have you been using your phone to read novels or something? I believe some people experience similar things on their phone.

3. Michi

Michi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you missclick and tick the box of any series chapter in the main page, if the novel is not in a list it will end up in the reading list.

And yeah for a moment i tought about the other std -.- totally misleading title ;)

4. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    See, it would have been a problem if people still used the old abbreviation: "VD".

unclebebby likes this.
  5. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're using a phone web browser and just scrolling through the latest update list, it's really easy to accidently add something to your reading list by accidently clicking on a checkbox. Otherwise, I never see that issue.

6. Nepheos

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah I'm reading on my phone and tablet... never had this problem until a few months ago

7. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Like others said - all new novels from either accidental or purposeful "ticks" get added to the default list.
    But... You said that novels from your other lists move there as well? That shouldn't be possible.

Are you using any "NU" apps on your devices? There is no official app for NU, so if you're using one, it's probably what's causing the problems.

8. Nepheos

Reading List:
    Link
    never noticed accidentally adding anything... but even if I did, why would novels from my real list wander over sometimes?

nope just via the website.
    and yeah, sometimes one wanders over and once I notice I'll have to move it back.
    not saying accidentally putting new stuff in there is a impossible cause, but at least I never noticed doing so.

I even added the dot after the std to avoid this, but I guess I failed lol
    didn't want to make the title too long :blobsweat:

I'm using the phone browser but thst only explains new novels being added

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2020
  9. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    You can also fairly easily add to list or change lists for your novels on:
    Series Finder, Series Listing, Series Ranking, Latest Series, Rec Lists
    Same goes when viewing particular Genre, Tag, Language, Author, etc. (from the links on novels' pages).

On desktops the prompt is hidden in the covers and on mobile it should be visible as a small button under each entry.

Of course, you can also change list on novels' pages, but it should be harder to do it there by mistake (not to mention the difficulty of moving via the reading list itself).

P.S. Please refrain from replying in separate posts. Either hit reply for each message before you start typing or use the quote+ button and then [insert quotes] and write your replies in a single post.

LaDyViL and unclebebby like this.
  10. unclebebby

unclebebby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MY STD LIST IS CLEAN!

Nah but I often accidentally add series into my standard list. when I'm scrolling on the phone the ads would push the list around. Novelupdate is a great service but it's not formatted to be easily used on a modern phone with intrusive ads that can push the lists around.

I've never had the chapter checkmark reset to chapter 0 though. I have the opposite problem where I end up accidentally saying that I read the most recent chapter when I'm saving it for a binge. That's another problem I have with the ads.

11. Nepheos

Reading List:
    Link
    if I wanted to add a novel to a list from the search or tag menues, I'd still have to choose the list tho. just clicking on the list button doesn't add them. I checked that just now to be sure.
    I guess I'll just continue living with this. It's annoying but not that bad after all.

congrats for having a clean std list.
    I've only gotten normal, non intrusive ads on novel updates itself.... some tl sites are unusable tho because they're filled with those ads

unclebebby likes this.
  12. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant it more like accidentally tapping it while scrolling - moving lists might be fairly easy while trying to dismiss the prompt.
    Anyway, the user answers were probably depleted. Perhaps a mod or an admin has access to some secret log that shows when novels are moved between lists or sth...

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Try waiting a bit more before scrolling down on phone.

The issue here is that you're scrolling while the page is still loading, so some of your clicks are being recognized in different spots of the page than where you actually clicked.

Just wait until the homepage loads before scrolling and the problem should stop occurring.

14. Nepheos

Reading List:
    Link
    guess I'll try that, thanks. i didn't do it while loading that often but maybe that's the cause.

15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there is for normal mods. My only guess is when they check the novel page, they accidentally clicked the quick add to another list but it shouldn't be a frequent thing.

16. Nepheos

Reading List:
    Link
    there are 23 novels in that list rn even tho i clean it every two months or so... but maybe I'm just stupid or incapable of handling my phone ... who knows.