Recommendations Protagonists with a Secret Identity

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Wyntile, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Wyntile

Wyntile Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forget if I asked for this topic before. But as the title of this thread says, are there any novels where there is a character, preferably the protagonist or main supporting cast, that has a secret identity?

My only requirement for novel recommendations is that the novel CANNOT have any 3 syllable names.

My Korean name is Lee Heejin, a typical Korean girl name you can find like the many John's, Michael's, Susie's out there in English. But when you have a million Lee's, Park's, Kim's out there; and a good majority of translations I've come across so far can't even bother to coin the 2 main first name syllables together, reading the English versions of Asian names can get very confusing for me at times. And the amount of Asian novels I've read so far with such names, due to the amount of confusion I faced as to who's who I cannot enjoy reading those types of novels anymore.

EX 1: Girl 1: "Lee Hee Jin" VS Girl 2: "Lee Hae Jin".
    Me: Ahahaha, I'm sorry, what?

EX2: "Tang San" VS "Xiao Tang" (from what I remember on DD)
    Me: Eh, and that's just a different way of saying the same person?? Just stick to one name system why don't ya?!

So just as a warning: if I see even one 3 syllable name and make a remark about it, don't go snapping at me about it. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time when it comes to reading LNs/WNs.

Anyways, as for similar novels I've come across so far...
    • Strongest Dull Prince's Secret Battle for the Throne
    • To Be a Power in the Shadows
    • I Told You I’m Not 〇〇!! ~When I Helped Out the Most Beautiful Girl in My Class, My Identity Got Found Out~
    Where I guess I'm more or less leaning towards the modern protagonist with a secret identity these days. But I'd like to see if there is anything else out there I haven't come across yet.

2. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Age of Adepts
    2. The Results From When I Time Leaped to My Second Year of High School and Confessed to the Teacher I Liked at the Time
    3. Zhanxian

Wyntile likes this.
  3. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe something like Galactic Navy Officer, Ex-Hero Candidate, Pupil of the Wiseman, Cecilia Silvy, Ryusousha ha Shizukani Kurashitai and/or Shadow Hero's Everyday Life

Wyntile likes this.
  4. Wyntile

Reading List:
    Link
    Shadow Hero sounds like an interesting read.

Just out of curiosity, anything else?

5. PungusGTX

PungusGTX Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't read the wall of text after the bold font but why don't you try some English novels like Twilight, where Edward Cullen hides the fact he's a vampire from his classmates? Or if you're into TV try teen wolf. If not keep reading japanese light novels and search up the tag hiding true identity. Good luck.

6. Vamptacus

Vamptacus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly i can't be sure about the names since i don't remember but ..

After Taken as a Prisoner of War, the Vampire Queen Turned Me Into a Vampire and Made Me Her Daughter

Lord of the Mysteries

Wyntile likes this.
  7. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My senior brother is too steady

Wyntile likes this.
  8. Wyntile

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay? I mean there are Chinese novels like "Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet a Bad End" where there are names like Roel Ascart, Charlotte Sorofya, and Nora Xycldes? And Korean novels like "Never Die Extra" with names like Evan D. Sherdan, Belois, Shine, Anastasia? It's not like I'm insinuating that all recommendations have to be Japanese?

And as for your second suggestion, I did. It's just that a majority of them I either dropped in the past or the style of story I'm not currently into at the moment. Protagonists hearing of their former epic pasts ain't one of them, as I'd personally more prefer if they're currently active in their double life. That sort of thing.

9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    My Dad is Too Strong - MC is an OP returnee pretending to be a normal government worker.
    Overlimit Skill Holder - MC is an escaped slave pretending to be a talented normal person (ie haven't absorbed any skill orbs).
    Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyusoukyoku (WN) - when the need arises, the MC pretends to be a mysterious, masked hero.
    Lazy Dungeon Master - MC pretends to be an innkeeper and, later, a village chief.
    Magician of Insa-Dong - MC is a student by day and relic hunter after hours.
    One Man Army - MC pretends to be various members of his guild.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/32067/never-die-twice - the MC is owner of the local alchemy shop by day and is the dungeon boss after hours.

CinemaGame and Wyntile like this.
  10. Wyntile

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just merely pointing out the hypocrisy in your words. If you're not going to bother seriously answering to a recommendations thread and are going to be offended about things, then please don't bother replying in the first place. Have a great day! :)

Ooh, some of these sound interesting. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2021
  11. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hero? I’ve Long Stopped Being One

Wyntile likes this.
  12. Wyntile

Reading List:
    Link
    Hero? I've Stopped Being One was funny as heck. It's a pity the translations for it stopped though.
    The King's Avatar was a good read too. Though I admit the amount of game grinding events got to me.

13. TheLazyBastard

TheLazyBastard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try "The novel's extra" if you haven't read yet