Spoiler [PSA - MISLEADING TITLE] Girl, I’ll Teach You Cultivation

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by AardwarkThe2nd, Jun 23, 2018.

?

What was the intent behind the misleading title and synopsis?

1. Author wanted to bait readers

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Author wanted to increase readership

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Author hated harem but filled it in for publisher

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Author lost direction halfway through writing

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/girl-ill-teach-you-cultivation/

A Mature Lady: You have a house?

Jiang Xiu: I can cultivate.

A Ms. Perfect: You have a car?

A Loli: Big Brother Jiang Xiu, do you have a seven-figure bank balance?

———————————

Jiang Xiu once transmigrated to the Immortal Martial Continent, living out a long life there and establishing himself with renowned fame. He finds himself waking up to strange circumstances and discovers that he’s returned back home. What happened exactly? And what’ll he do from now on? Follow Jiang Xiu as he deals with the crazy scenarios fate has in store for him.

Reading the synopsis, it might feel like a normal urban cultivator harem-comedy, right? Any gullible reader like me might assume that.

Notice that NU tags for the page do not have harem and comedy. That isn't a mistake, this story has neither harem nor comedy.

Cliche xianxia faceslapping and slaughter, that's what you'll find here. Yeah, synopsis is misleading AF.
    The story isn't intended for those seeking harem or comedy.

I haven't read this novel myself, but a fellow who MTLed the whole novel warned me. This is his entire rant (story-wide spoilers, don't touch it as long as you intend to read the story).

Whole novel is full of trash talk . Aggression. Beheading. More trash talk ..

And totally opposite of the title he doesnt teach any girl cultivation nor does he have harem
    No romance
    Full novel he hates on others
    Mistrust at its best
    Verdict- TRAP
    About MC In a nutshell- mc wakes up in his teen body of many yrs ago after ml use a taboo technique to save him from his death which mc has no memory about.. chen lingsu the real ml is hated by mc till the last 5 chps remaining while he fell for her twoface elder sister who tries to kill him the entire time . He realises her goodness and regrets then uses the same taboo technique the ml used to save her .
    More nonsense was- he was married to the main heroine - she loves him n tries her best to serve him but he loves her elder sister and tries his best to hurt her n create opportunities to get divorce so that he can marry her elder sister and he is successful in that

N few girls whom he starts to develop feelings for get killed lol
    Last five chps he realise his mistake
    Main heroines gets killed by her elder sister
    He then kills elder sister after knowing truth n revive main heroine
    Then it’s basically back to first chap
    No romance the end
    Totally contradicting to the title
    I swear he never taught anyone cultivation

So, that's the way it is. The story title and synopsis is misleading, don't be gullible or you might regret it.

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    B-b-b-but, what about the busty onee-sans, the gentle lolis and all the waifus the synopsis offers! I WANT MY MONEY BACK. :blobsleepless:

DiabolicGod likes this.
  3. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Super happy about the spoilers, because if I kept reading this and got to that point I would have lost my shit.

JimmyFalcon and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  4. AardwarkThe2nd

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt you paid a single buck.
    No, this novel has only nothing that you want.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I paid in moneyshots! Anyway yeah, i figured as much after getting annoyed after about 30 chapters. :hmm:

6. Salokin

Salokin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read the full MTL, but as of 464...its bad, and you say it will continue onwards? Okay, thanks for the heads up.
    On another note, it looks like Genius Sword Immortal is being translated again. That definitely has a harem and should be more my speed.

7. codiro

codiro Lethargic Pachyderm No. 5

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I want a non-harem every now and then! Also, I'm pretty sure the synopsis makes it look like the three women dumped him. who would want to cultivate? that's like manual labor and farming and shit! No harem in farms. ;p

Kysil likes this.
  8. slakids

slakids Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What bout HF moon??????
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

9. ImmortalDreamer

ImmortalDreamer [7 Sins][OriginPrince][Ero God][Phantasma]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm tired of all this. I've already mentioned it that there's a reason for the title.

I do know for a fact that the person who read the MTL version never read the entire last chapter because it's incomplete. They used only half of the raws for the last chapter on LNTML. The rest is missing.

In the final chapter, after MC revives the ML and goes back into the past, he'll say this to the ML,

"Girl, I'll teach you cultivation.'

After which they go on to have sex in the forest of their school. It's a double-meaning title. IT'S THERE FOR A REASON. YOU WON'T GET THE MEANING UNLESS YOU READ THE ENTIRE FINAL CHAPTER. As for after that, there's also three extra stories, which of course can only be found on the original raw site. LNTML won't have that. Nor will the pirate sites.

And the title and tags were pretty clear from the beginning. It's Girl, singular. You shouldn't expect harem.

10. Nylazir

Nylazir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unsightly. Even towards WN or LN people still “judge a book by its cover” never learning to read or check properly. If you want to complain, at least do it when you PROPERLY completed the novel despite being a “waste of time.”

This thread doesn’t even look as if you’re making a complaint towards the novel itself but because there’s no Harem or the Mature stuff that you prefer in it. How idiotic. If you want something like that, hit up a hentai site, this is a web novel. I repeat, a web novel. Not every novel needs to go through your own desires.

Terepi and kenar like this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In general there are a lot of titles and synopses that either do a bad job of communicating what the book is about or being outright deceptive. One of the main reasons is that the purpose of a title and synopsis isn't to be accurate; it's to draw in readers. Still I agree with some of the frustration that comes from this deception, and that's why I tend to not pay attention to these and just rely on other people's opinions on these books.

To be fair, if a title doesn't make any sense until you've read the entire book, it's probably not a very good title. Or more specifically, just having a reason in-story for having a title doesn't do much to redeem it.

Arkeus and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  12. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It amuses me how you cite a mtl'er as your source.

While mtl might give a vague idea, considering them a source of truth is just asking for a beating

13. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow.. is this MC the reincarnation of itou makoto? Hes such a scum

14. AardwarkThe2nd

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but my point is that Girl, Let Me Teach You Cultivation's title and synopsis is blatant bait for harem and comedy. Mature lady, ms. perfect and loli... they usually mean harem, plain and simple.
    Honestly, anyone reading the synopsis will think of a comedy where a genius cultivator who knows nothing about modern life gets into hijinks and attracts women. Even the personal synopsis that the translator has made hints at that!
    But there is no comedy and no harem! The cake is a LIE!
    ^^^
    The complaint is because the synopsis hints at and sounds like a harem comedy, while the story neither has harem nor comedy.
    I don't really care about harem, but some guy is going to be expecting something like Cultivation Chat Group and will waste his time and expectations.

Also, I didn't properly complete the novel, a guy on LNMTL did. The whole rant spoiler tagged is by him. Since I didn't read it, I thought it wrong to make a review but letting people who didn't know walk into a trainwreck didn't seem right to me.
    You can check this spoiler thread where original translator commented: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/girl-ill-teach-you-cultivation.67117/#post-4109875

More or less the same thing in less angry words.

MTL is never comparable to reading the original, but 70-80% is comprehensible. And MTLer who read the whole thing didn't find no comedy, no harem and protagonist hated on everyone acting like the Crown Prince who executed his Empress for a concubine in ch.1 of Rebirth Empress type novels.

Arkeus likes this.
  15. TamaSaga

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who has to hand-edit the text after a MTL, that 70-80% number that you quote is utter bull****. Unless the MTL somehow splices the sentence correctly and picks the right meaning for each group of words, you'd be lucky if it were 30%.

The only reason that that 30% is enough is because web novels are chock full of filler and repeated passages so as long as one in three sentences are barely coherent, you should be able to guess what's going on in the chapter.

When MTL works, you'd be able to read who died and how. But more often than not, whatever comes from the computer is only enough for me to see that someone died. It falls on intuition afterwards to figure out who. And I need to manually retranslate the entire paragraph if I seriously want to figure out how.

Now then, ignoring how you're shoving your own words into the MTLer's mouth, if you look at the story you can see humor from ignorance, girls surrounding the MC, and a protagonist that gives oft-ignored warnings before delivering punishment. Whatever you say is missing is actually there in the story. It might not be the classic definition, but they do apply in the usual loose way that you give to other CN WN's.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  16. AardwarkThe2nd

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, but the discussion isn't about MTL, it is about how the synopsis is utterly misleading, promising comedy and harem when there isn't.

A Mature Lady: You have a house?

A Ms. Perfect: You have a car?

A Loli: Big Brother Jiang Xiu, do you have a seven-figure bank balance?

———————————

Jiang Xiu once transmigrated to the Immortal Martial Continent, living out a long life there and establishing himself with renowned fame. He finds himself waking up to strange circumstances and discovers that he’s returned back home. What happened exactly? And what’ll he do from now on? Follow Jiang Xiu as he deals with the crazy scenarios fate has in store for him.
    Mature lady, ms. perfect and loli... they usually mean harem, plain and simple.
    Honestly, anyone reading the synopsis will think of a comedy where a genius cultivator who knows nothing about modern life gets into hijinks and attracts women. Even the personal synopsis that the translator has made hints at that!

But no, no comedy and no harem. It is bait, plain and simple.

17. TamaSaga

Reading List:
    Link
    And your credibility is as follows:
    - You cite a MTLer's review as the source of truth
    - You didn't read it yourself to verify

With credentials like this, you expect people to follow your lead? Isn't this what they call the blind leading the blind?

Like many of the other CN web novels that I picked up, I expect to drop it in the future on the grounds of boredom and stupidity. In the meantime, however, the story is quite entertaining and I don't need continuous pessimistic reminders that it is a CN web novel.

Now then, present solid proof to back up whatever **** you're shoveling or shut up. You've been souring my reading experience for no justified reason and that's put me in a bad mood.

18. AardwarkThe2nd

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, what I want to prove is that this novel doesn't have comedy and harem.
    For that, I have the Original Translator's word in comment on this thread: https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/4149566/

Most relevant quote for disproving harem:
    There is this spoiler forum where Original Translator commented as well. Most of what was there in the rant is repeated, with less anger. You can check the spoilers to understand the lack of comedy : https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/girl-ill-teach-you-cultivation.67117/

If you want classic xianxia hyperviolence and such, it is a good novel. If you want harem comedy this is not for you.
    Happy reading.

19. JSS

JSS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can not think of many novels where you can deduce entire story from name only and that would be boring .

20. Salokin

Salokin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing a good synopsis is vitally important, tho. Especially in the case of these WN/LN with 800+ chapters, why should anyone refrain from forming or voicing an opinion until they 'read it in its entirety' when many of these WNs are designed to not be ended some of the time?

Some reader expectation can be to blame for 'assuming' that a list of female characters by their recognizable character traits indicates 'harem', however the synopsis writer should have been aware of this familiarity as well. In other words, I believe he/she knew what they were doing.

Generally speaking, this is one of a few complaints I have of the 'open-ended' web novel format of novels. Good synopsis can give a hint about what the reader can and should expect, and reveal the genre, tone, and themes of the story without worrying about spoilers.

There are many synopsis on NU that simply don't do that, and a few that read like a mtl'ed haiku (I think they actually are), which tells me nothing about what the story is or why I should read it.