Publisher vs Label

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Shirobane, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirobane

Shirobane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GC Novels is the light novel label of Micro Magazine. Currently GCN’s titles are split between these two entries. My instinct is to move the three titles under GCN to MM, both because MM is the actual publisher and because that entails less work. However, there are other examples of labels in the system (e.g. Dengeki Bunko which is a label of ASCII Media Works, itself a subsidiary of Kadokawa/Kadokawa Shoten) so I wanted to confirm before doing anything.

On a somewhat related note, where both the WN and the LN exist separately in the system, is it normal to list the English publisher and Japanese print publisher for both?

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    unfortunately, NU doesn't have such a detailed system for both section yet (O_pub and E_pub). Therefore, i'd suggest just add in the Micro Magazine to the three novels (without removing the GCN) for now. Afterall, it is not actually unsual for a novel to even labelled with two separate publisher (often happens with web novels)

Lets say novel X has publisher S listed under its O_pub section. At the same time, publisher S is not actually an exclusive 'publisher' per se. It is just a hosting site. Therefore, novel X was also listed with another label, publisher K, which also happens to simultaneously host the work.

On your other related question, while it actually should not, some publisher might 'acquire' license for both, just for exclusivity sake. Or they just acquire one, but somewhere in the deal requires/insisted the author to take down his WN version, or part of it.
    If it is just me, i'd say it is fine to label both, but i'll ask the other mods for their inputs, just in case.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Shirobane, Seraphic, asriu and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.