QI Poaching CCG

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cepheno, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Poach is a community term that means "to start translating something that is actively being translated by someone else"

Whether you think they are legally or morally wrong doesn't change the fact that they did, in fact, poach the translation. I honestly never saw anything wrong with poaching. But it would be beyond stupid to deny it happened.

Also, Qi didn't just merely poach the translation, they also engaged in frankly ridiculous moustache twirling villain actions with their attempt to trick the previous translator into signing a trap filled contract via sock puppets giving bad advice and GGP from gravity tales.

2. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me it seemed as if qi and ggp are seperate entities. seemed as if ggp was looking to screw over the tler, but after pressure offered the standard qi contract.

That being said, did qi ever say their contracts were final? Are there any room for negotiation? standard practice when getting employment contracts is to negotiate them. I understand qi probably wont budge much, but i was just curious

3. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. GPP works for QI. He started a site called gravity tales, then sold 95% of it Qi who continued to employe him.

2. Actually first Qi offered a shitty contract to the translator. Then when he refused GPP came in and tried to offer a worse contract for signing up with gravity tales, a subsidiary owned by Qi, while lying to him and trying to trick him into signing it. While QI employees also pretended to be readers and gave him further bad legal advice trying to ensnare him

The contracts were full of traps meant to fuck him over. When someone does that, you do not "negotiate" with them.

4. GodBrandy

GodBrandy ❮Evil Shitposter❯

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not too sure about "community terms", but looking at the original meaning, it's Wei that is poaching :hmm:
    Anyway, QI had plans to start this novel even before he started his translation. It took so long because they were trying to buy those chapters from Volare, although they didn't reach an agreement in the end and nothing happened. You guys are just listening to whatever he's saying without even bothering to check if it's true or not.
    First, he already knew that QI wanted to pick up this novel, he even asked me to drop it because he wanted to translate it, this was a conversation dated on end June/early July on my NUF profile, he already deleted everything so there is nothing there now. But @IRainstorm can confirm my words, he was the one that told him that QI planned to pick CCG up. And I don't think QI needs to trick him into anything. If he doesn't accept they can just put someone else on it like they did. The only reason he was approached was to avoid making the community go batshit over this "poaching" thing, but it happened anyway in the end :blobpopcorn:
    And instead of wasting time with "socket puppet obviously belonging to qidian" (and where is the proof for that anyway?) can't they just DMCA his site? I'm pretty sure they have the rights to do so and it would have saved a lot of time :blobwhistle:

ThunderGod, Akashura and asriu like this.
  5. emigumin

emigumin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean how many chapters did qidian steal already, they copied and pasted entire sites. Also didnt they DMCAed a certain HK site already.
    Give it a rest already, Qidian is a piece of shit site and theres probably literally 1 piece of work worth reading in it. QI wants every QI novel, come on.

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they want it because it belongs to them...

lonelytree likes this.
  7. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are you arrogant about being ignorant?
    You should strive to learn instead of taking pride in it and striving to remain ignorant.

When I say it is a community term I mean that there is literally poaching policy for novelupdates.com

NU does not display poached works unless it has been 90 days without updates by the original translator, or the poacher has translated 50+ chapter.

This is in fact why CCG translation by QI do not show up on NU. And will not be added until the 50 chapter benchmark is reached.
    The original meaning has no relevance to the discussion. Look at the dictionary definition of the word
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/furry
    On the internet, this is not what this word means

8. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one of those rare cases where it is legitimate for Qi to poach the work in question. Because the translator did not buy the right to translate (unlike WW and several other sites who did).

Furthermore, this time they actually did their own translation instead of stealing the original translator's work, like they did with WW. Which is another point in their favor. If it was only these two things they would have been in the clear on CCG...

The only illegitimate thing Qi did with CCG was the part where they had performed a mental assault on the old translator with a group of their employees trying to trick him into signing a trap filled slave contract and having their employees pretend to be readers giving helpful advice as well as having GGP pretend to be unaffiliated with Qi despite being an employee.
    This kind of behavior is extremely scummy and boycott worthy

9. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh i've been told multiple times that NU don't care about poaching and have no policy about it, they only require a novel to be dead for 90 days before you can make a pickup request on the forum.

Where is the policy written?

Also the new translation is crap, "su clan seven" is the name of one of the people LOL

10. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those two statements contradict. If they require it to be dead for 90 days then they have a policy.
    An internal policy not being explicitly stated to the public is still a policy.
    For example http://fortune.com/2014/05/28/what-wal-mart-prefers-to-keep-secret/
    Walmart pay policies, which exist, are an internal secret.

There are numerous allusions to NU policy in this regards by people on the inside. And, like I mentioned, there is the simple fact that CCG by Qi is not currently being listed by NU

11. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    Having a policy about content that gets displayed not be public is stupid, i've also seen NU staff say they don't care about poaching and the 90 day rule is only about pickup requests.

12. GodBrandy

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for not caring about people randomly changing terms to fit their view :blobninja:
    And only people on NUF are using this term like this, so it's hardly something widespread as I don't find anything on it on Urban Dictionary https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poaching
    Moreover, while it can work for other groups translating a novel because you can say it was "their" novel before someone stole it, it makes zero sense when talking about qidian since they're the original owner of the copyright.
    Except it's not a name, but you're too dumb to understand that, right? :hmm:
    All the dao names were translated according to what the author said. If you have a problem go complain to him.

13. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... but, we are literally on NUF right now
    which I explicitly addressed here
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/3287971/

14. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    The Chinese author that can't speak English dictating how it's written in English is stupid, it's awkward to read, whether it's a name or a title "Su clan seventh said" "Su clan seventh did" etc, it is awkward to read.

If everyone calls him "su clan seven" that's his name, daoname whatever, the point is still there, nitpicking like that is moronic, but i guess you're too dumb to understand that.

mrttao likes this.
  15. GodBrandy

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said, I understand the meaning behind it, but I find it still incorrect when talking about some who holds the copyright.
    Because the author can't obviously explain the meaning of the name using his own language :facepalm:
    People like you really make NUF's average IQ plummet :blobsad:

Wujigege, Akashura and lonelytree like this.
  16. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    The meaning of his name? Please tell me what meaning that translation conveys that the other doesn't? All i see is super awkward sounding conversations that didn't exist in the better translations (Also i say better not just because of the titles, the overall quality is lower with a ton of broken English)

Also the overuse of emojis is pathetic.

mrttao likes this.
  17. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How sweet, someone havent been exposed to the real world. The qi contract isnt that bad in terms of a part time job. Compare it to a part time retail job contract, or one in a fast food chain.

And yes, ggp works under qi, but it seems his actions are for his own benefit, and that he acted parallel to qi in order to pressure the TLer. Might be coordinated by seeing how bad his terms were compared to qi kinda makes it seems that he wanted to pocket the difference.

Not saying that I support ggp, but to me it seems like qi is just like your standard scumbag corp trying to make money. Since they have people willing to work for them, their terms couldn't be that bad and they do own the copyright to the work after all.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Wujigege likes this.
  18. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    QI WILL POACH EVERYTHING AS LONG AS THEY SMELL MONEY heh :blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry:

19. GodBrandy

Reading List:
    Link
    The meaning was explained in a note after people complained, but I guess you didn't bother to read it. I'm too lazy to explain it again since you aren't even interested, you're just a low-ranked WW shill after all :blobspy:
    On the other hand, I just noticed you have a "27" in your name, don't you know how awkward it sounds? Please change it.
    [​IMG]
    :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

20. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    "didn't bother to read it", no, it just wasn't there when i read the chapter, you can hardly blame me for not going back and re-reading a chapter i already read.

Not sure how WW came into this conversation though, this novel wasn't one WW was even translating right? What exactly did i say that makes me a WW shill.

And yeah, i'd agree that having a character named mitre27 in a novel would be awkward, but as a forum poster? No, though i did decide on my username when i was like 11 when mitre was taken lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.