Discussion QI take over of TGR

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Billdoor, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys by visiting QI you are indirectly supporting their site! That is why I did a total ban concerning the site, after learning about their wrong doings all the way back to xianxia world. Less visits means less moola in their pockets.

2. Ananya

Ananya Top lvl Gokiburi Buster

Reading List:
    Link
    Did it already start? Did they implement it in every region? What about Hong Kong? What are Hong Kong people's reaction to this?

3. Houye

Houye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread sounds like yet another good QI thread.

QI takes it and suffers nothing. That's it.

4. Wei

Wei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hold on guys breaking news!!! I just found a laptop and it looks like... it looks like it contains CK's contract with QI! Please wait for fur

6. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    100% qi leak it itself. And ren didnt deny it either

7. Donszas

Donszas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow...so someone just happens happens to find a laptop....with the exact contract....
    In this case..i just found a billion dolars worth of gold...how lucky am I?

Dark Omega and Wujigege like this.
  8. TNFD

TNFD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cktalon is being kinda ridiculous, a small part of a random contract we have no way to check where it is from is supposed to be proof of that they have the right to do this? Someone could just have typed it and made it seem like a legitimate contract, it doesnt even mention names like wuxiaworld and only refers to parties , even if it is the real contract that does not mean there arent additional clauses that forbid QI doing this. Furthermore, it has been mentioned repeatedly that WW does not own the translations of the translators so they cannot sell them to others without permission. And I think Ren was a former diplomat, so I am guessing he knows a thing about contracts and negotiations and would never sign a contract completely in favor of QI without some exclusive rights for WW

9. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clearly he doesn't :)

WW can always show what's the clause after what WW showed previously to refute me :)

I mentioned before:
    The point is that from QI's point of view, the translation copyright belongs to them now based on what WW signed. Whether WW has the right to transfer it should be a problem between WW and the WW TLs. If the TLs want the chapters taken down, they will have to personally take it up with both WW and QI, i.e., sue QI legally and also question WW why was such a contract signed when they did not authorize the transfer of copyright.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  10. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, get the official webnovel account posting here saying it’s okay and I’ll post the whole thing. Unlike you, I don’t see the need to make shell accounts that magically “found” random stuff. Man up, CK.

In the interim, I just have a few questions to ask you. First, assuming it really is about WW and Qidian, has Qidian paid WW any royalties or fees yet? Based on my knowledge, Qidian hasn’t paid WW a thin dime despite making ad money and other money off WW translations.

Second, assuming your snippet is correct, Wuxiaworld should have the right to attribution; has Qidian attributed any works to Wuxiaworld itself at all? I only see mentions of individual translators, but Qidian signed with Wuxiaworld, not them.

Third, instead of giving Wuxiaworld attribution, it actually blacklists the term Wuxiaworld entirely so no one knows Wuxiaworld did the translations. Is this good faith?

Fourth, in an effort to avoid giving Wuxiaworld any money at all, Qidian is doing stuff like only paywalling its own chapters on HJC (which it actually promised it wouldn’t). Is this good faith?

Fifth, given that Qidian has not acted in good faith, has not paid Wuxiaworld, and has not honored the right of attribution, does Qidian really own these translations? If you “buy” something from someone but do not paid the agreed on price, isn’t that just “stealing”? And if you steal something, doesn’t that mean you don’t own it?

So many questions raised by just two paragraphs, and we are literally just getting started. I can sense you are about to engage in whataboutism. Try to avoid it and answer the questions head on. Just imagine all the instances of bad faith that would be displayed from the full contract. Do try and have your bosses make a post here agreeing for WW to show the contract.

11. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like the lifting of the NDA requires you to email them officially and not just mention on a random forum. if you have sent it, why don't you send it again?
    1. Seems like they do have ads on WW translations. Again, talk to their legal about this violation of the contract. What about VIP chapters on WW? Doesn't seem like your contract allows you to do so from subclause 2.
    2/3. Okay, so you want right of attribution to be given to Wuxiaworld. Can be done I assume. Kind of hard to tell what you want when you are also all about translator rights and want them to be recognized. Again, please send official correspondence to their legal to have this changed.
    4. So you are advocating a paywall to get the share?
    5. The things you mention seem really trivial and can be easily rectified.
    Just send them an email and talk to their legal :)

But when it comes to dollars and cents, what about the good faith about no VIP chapters? So are you authorized or not to do the 20 books since now there's no good faith, and the contract seems like bullshit? Really confusing.

As with everything, just get the lawsuit started. Everyone's been waiting for a year.

lafiel11 likes this.
  12. TNFD

TNFD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not how things work, if you buy something from someone else that does not belong to them you cant just say it now belongs to me and it has nothing to do with me. And that doesnt change the fact that you are arguing that 2 paragraphs from a random contract that doesnt even mention the names of the parties involved is proof of anything. Who the hell finds a laptop, checks it contents, finds a random contract that they supposedly cannot read, puts it online on NU for translation and than also miraculously puts only the paragraph that is supposedly proving QI's legal right to do this on NU. Why didn't they post the entire contract?

QI has changed their stories so many times that nothing they say is credible. And this supposed contract proves nothing at all, unless that person is willing to put the entire contract online, they already broke the law by going trough private content on a laptop they 'found' and posting it online, might as well put the entire thing online instead of 2 paragraphs

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  13. millman97

millman97 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially since it's apparently so clear cut. It should be easy money for WW.

That's a good point. Why don't people post the full contract if both sides have been telling the whole truth all along? QI didn't post it all, but neither did WW; Ren only posted a few paragraphs, and I hear that he cut out some pretty key clauses.

14. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Waiting for lawsuit

:blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

15. atomic_fetch_add

atomic_fetch_add Member

Reading List:
    Link
    took a break from web novel scene and watched a bunch of jdrama lately

i thought with tv version of martial universe next months, QI will do something shitty about it, (like promoting QI as the one true web novel site on this drama)

instead, we got this, boring

16. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok let's be real only people watching that shit is going to be mostly people in china. Promoting QI there would be next to pointless since they just read off Qidian raw or pirate sites lol.

So you don't understand or seen the whole contract but have no problem with making a bunch of assumption and posting it like facts? I'm sorry but why are you even talking about this when you know basically nothing about this matter?

17. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Don't pay attention to CKTalon. He has lost all credibility. It has long been proven that he is willing to lie and mislead people for QI.

2. The poaching actions of QI are extremely shady regardless of whether they are legal or not. They are indefensible except by people lacking any sense of right or wrong.

3. The actions of QI should give anyone considering signing a contract with them reasons to look elsewhere. Shady companies don't change. Nor do they make a distinction between who they are attempting to screw over.

Since QI is willing to do this to a translation/translator, there is nothing to say that they won't do it to an author once they have permanently transferred their copyrights over to QI in exchange for royalties.

This should be a very sobering & worrying thought for any author considering signing a contract with QI.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  18. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WELL SAID!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.