Qidian breaking NU policy (Mod edit: Nope)

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by thedorkishguy, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    So then we are in agreement, taking someone to a blog post and making them click a 2nd time waiting for the page to load is no different than making them click and ad and waiting. The difference is not in the amount of actual time but the extra effort of the user right?

2. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    complain about 30 sec ad.....
    make a thread wasting 4 hours on it when you could have watched 1000 ad.....

runsing likes this.
  3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, you know, to make the matter more clear. People are interpreting "locked chapters" to their own understanding, since no explanation is given. This causes problems such as this thread.

Also, no one is using surveys on nowadays. I'm just saying it as an example.

That's all :notlikeblob::notlikeblob:

Astaroth likes this.
  4. Ninth Mountain

Ninth Mountain Bezgranichnyy

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm under a data-based plan. Don't want to waste shit on something like this. I'd rather have them make me disable my adblock tbh

Astaroth likes this.
  5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, this is what I was getting at this whole time. I was trying to point out that if we play the "is it locked game" and draw superficial lines where we feel it then we can argue that those blog post stuff are locked under the same reasoning he was arguing that ads are locked.

My personal opinion though is not to view it as black and white and use a door example. And view these things as a closed door. That would probably be the most objective way to look at it.

Astaroth likes this.
  6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo: Announcement posts should be part of the chapter, with a hide/show option.

It would also make it way more convenient for me when I want to see the announcement post while I'm binge reading novels way after they had already been translated. (So I usually end up skipping the announcements completely because of how inconvenient it is to actually get to them.)

Linking to announcement posts was a conscious decision by NU, and having announcement posts in the first place was probably—at least partially—to double up on the ads. (Though there were announcement posts before ads as well iirc)

7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen some who combine announcements and posts (The Amber Sword), though I haven't seen many that let you hide it (despite seeing some use it to hide things like chapter titles or spoilers and the like)

Edit: and yes I would like that too

8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Google ads on youtube are sometimes surveys asking if you prefer one insurance company to the other
    I see that as a platform that will get more popular in the future
    although the youtube surveys took only a few seconds

9. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I was referring to the other surveys like they list several things you have to complete, choose one, like download ringtone, movies etc.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is not against adfly. a lot of tl put adfly links on their site. note:their site.
    what NU is against is directly submitting adfly url into the system (nu's). or mega, or depositfiles, etc etc

yes, a lot of translator are doing that, you just never came across it

yes, a lot of translator are doing that, you just never came across it

have you tried forcing desktop mode on your browser? or try different one? (see attachment)
    i see ppl recommending to disable javascript on some tl sites all the time, so forcing desktop mode is, imho, not much harder.

have you tried forcing desktop mode on your browser? or try different one? (see attachment)
    i see ppl recommending to disable javascript on some tl sites all the time, so forcing desktop mode is, imho, not much harder. i even saw your post for that >.>

ps: it is time to ditch that iphone and go for windows :LOL:

imho, vague is better. because usually it will depend on mod's consensus, case-by-case basis, not by user's opinions.

on my phone, i only need to watch the ad once per series, and from there it auto-loads next chapter and on and on. try desktop mode or different browser

we will get to the case when it happens. again, it will depends on mods's consensus, and ultimately, tony

==================
    attachment : ss of TMW ch1089 on my phone with forced desktop mode
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    AliceShiki and Shio like this.
  11. podlizurko

podlizurko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    14 novels atm that have chapters that are on NU , that are under adwall.

zentetsuken and alamptr like this.
  12. Kylarin

Kylarin Prinny

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems NU is starting to delete these chapters on NU (Like the IRAS ones)

13. thelurker

thelurker [The Crazy Guy] Death to All BL Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    @runsing i tried force desktop by disabling java but i cant see the damn new chap to read

14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    @runsing

So are direct links to chapters that require you to watch an ad to see them okay or not?

I'm a bit confused here actually, since it would seem like yes, (going by the adfly example, after all on QI you're not directly linked to an adfly link or equivalent.

But then shouldn't all the QI chapters be linked to by NU (even the locked/bonus ones?) Since ads are ok.

Personally I wouldn't like it (which of unfortunately is completely unrelated...), but that's how I interpreted what you said.

It just seem weird to me since there's no link to the bonus chapters that 'only' require you to watch ads before you can view the chapters.

So basically the opposite of before, there used to be 2 outliers that WERE linked to while the other novel's bonus chapters were not, not it's the opposite.

15. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    disabling java =/= desktop mode

you need java on qidian (disable only on certain tl sites)

desktop mode means your browser will browse sites not in mobile mode

if someone gave me a link to yt, wouldn't i still need to watch ad?

personally, i'd say it is fair play. i couldn't say it did not eat my money (all those data :cry:), but as long as i can still read after waiting for 10-20sec, i'm ok. actually, some translator sites took me 2 minutes just to 'view' / load their sites. and i'm not even went there for reading (i went to verify chapter before approving submission queue)

as for bonus chapter, IF the same/exact requirement for standard chapter, personally i think it should be listed, yes.

in fact, what kind of bonus is that if requirements are the same :cookie:. i would've fire the webmaster without blinking :blobangery:

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    So in other words this is not the stance of NU, only your personal opinion, or what?

Because that's what confused me, according to your post shouldn't NU link to the bonus chapters? (Currently it does for some? But at least most of them don't, at least last I checked.)

I just thought it was strange that there's more or less an "official" answer, but it's not actually official or?

17. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's more aimed at them requiring an APP on mobile devices and these "bonus" chapters appearing on NU.

I don't see the bonus chapters appearing on NU though.

Edit: I'd actually be fine with them releasing 10 chapters at once but each is behind an adwall, but don't call them bonus chapters, they're not, i'm also not fine with them adwalling chapters already released as part of the regular schedule and labeling them as bonus chapters.

This is a better solution than requiring people to buy the latest chapters, and the leechers can still read the entire novel, people willing to watch ads will just see them sooner, like patreon.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    TheIndeed likes this.
  18. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    personal, yes.

as for linking to bonus chapter, yes, nu should.
    but then again, those 'bonus' chapter hasn't been tagged / put / published into qidian's rss feed yet.

no rss feed = no pickup by bot

and, no one seem to submit the chapter to nu manually, yet. hence the absent of link (in nu)

as for official answer, you will see it by action, most of the time. if it still there after 24 hours (for next chapter release), then the consensus (mods's) is obvious. so does otherwise.

however, nu will not remove old chapter links because nu is an index/record site. same treatment for dead tl site (example : trungtnguyen's)

edit : i took to long typing this and @Shio already let the blob out of the bag

i can't promise a verbal answer because that is not how nu internally works. but perhaps..perhaps tony will give any. but don't count on it too much. that guy is addicted to blob now

see explanation above on why it is not on nu (yet)

AliceShiki likes this.
  19. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I pray they don't appear honestly, i stay up to date through NU frontpage and i won't watch a 30 second ad for each chapter, if i read one chapter and i really can't wait, i may do it, but as a general rule i won't.

20. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobmelt:
    blob? what blob
    :blobowoevil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.