Discussion Qidian/Webnovel SS pricing comparison

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ged Merrilin, Apr 23, 2019.

?

Do you read stuff on Qidian/webnovel.com

1. I read several things there and buy ss

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. I read several things there and don't buy ss

35 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. I read a couple things there and buy ss

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. I read a couple things there and don't buy ss

43 vote(s)
    32.3%
  5. I don't read anything there

22 vote(s)
    16.5%
  6. I hate Qidian and would never read there

25 vote(s)
    18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You should really pay attention
    So that when you dispute facts you don't fall on your ass with weak arguments
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/renegade-immortal/

2088 chapters, 13 books

2. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i have not considered the part where they dont allow to download the stuff purchased with SS, so, it is to pay to rent books, not very appealing

3. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No you should be the one to stop making fake proof! The above link is to wuxiaworld, not Qindian webnovel. Which was the argument!
    P.S. wuxiaworld will doesn't demand a charge to read from their site, just if you want to support them you just read ahead a bit in chapters. If already completed it's totally free.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    With webnovels, as i am sure you know, the term book is often used to talk about the whole series. There generally isn't the distinction between them that is in most non-web novels.

Secondly, although I know you just quickly grabbed an example, Renegade Immortal would have an average chapter per volume of 160, making it much more expensive than the 10-15$ that you were trying to defend from my non-aggressive questioning.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to break it to you but most webnovels have books.
    Another example is Reverend Insanity. It averages 200 chapters per book.
    Word count is also relevant, Renegade Immortal should be on the high side.
    Japanese light novels are the best examples. When the web novels get physical books, it is not one book. It is multiple books.
    Stop ignoring facts when it does not agree with your argument.
    How much was Harry Potter some 25 years ago when it came out?
    Did you adjust for inflation?
    Seriously, your argument is pathetic at this point.
    My point still stands, you are ignoring the premium that comes with exclusivity.

6. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    I was using the Original Posts numbers to get $15. I based it under the assumption that he was correct. Like I said, I was not going to calculate again. I did it a long time ago.

As for the assumption. No, I'm not implying they are a startup. In any structure, where you have a parent company, these companies under the parent are expected to yield a certain result/goal/standard...etc.

Also, the financials are segregated.

It's only reasonable that I separate it as if it were a standalone company.

As for Anime. I was saying it based on The Kings Avatar. I have no idea if WebNovel has a part in it. As I said, was not going to check. But it was to set an example of what I mean by growth.

7. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they pay much either. Thinking of it conservatively, and assuming that web novel has decent wages and pays its authors well, I placed a conservative estimate.

40% is a lot of money for a structure as large as web novel.

And yes, I agree. For the 1-2 good novels, I have no problem paying. For those crap novels... or novels that suck right after you start paying... its near scam territory.

8. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    @J-Mitch China, pays it's authors well :LOL: that was a good one. Jokes aside, you're right, I'm willing to pay only for the good ones. It's just sad that even the good ones are plagued with their terrible editing infrastructure.

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *shrugs* Amazon's books are ridiculously underpriced IMHO, authors deserve to earn more from E-book sales through Amazon than they do rn.

As for Qidian's prices being "too big", they'll sell them for the price people buy them, if people are spending their cash on it, it means the price is fine or it's something people can't afford to not buy... As e-books aren't cars nor food nor a house, I'm pretty sure nobody feels forced to buy them, so the price is fine.

GDLiZy likes this.
  10. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd be surprised, I see people complaining over absurd anime DVD/Bluray prices all the time. Mind you, they are kinda stupid high imo, esp in Japan.

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, people complain about everything! xD

I mean, everyone has the right to complain about whatever they want, but if it's selling at a good margin (and is not a necessity like... Food and stuff), then it means either the price is fine or too low. If it was too big, then people wouldn't buy it in the first place~

12. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, even if price is very high, well above it's value and well above standard margins, some people will still buy. Even though increasing prices decreases total sales (typically), the increase in price alone is typically enough to more than cover for it. Source: I love statistics, and own a business; Apple exists; Diamonds are a thing etc.

It mostly comes down to how high they can get it to maximize profits. Sometimes they need to lower price to maximize profits, sometimes even if they raise price 500%, they will still increase their revenue. World is a weird place.

Ged Merrilin likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with that though? But I don't really think there is any problem with this?

I think complaining about the price of something only makes sense if you need to buy it. If it's just entertainment though, you can choose rather or not it's worth you money, so... As long as it maximizes their profit, then the price is fine.

14. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm, I get what you mean but it's a little too strict. If it was that simple, the only things you can complain about price wise are water and food, that's it. And even among food and water, you can complain about name brand/expensive brand prices vs normal stuff, even though they typically cost the exact same to produce. It's just kinda weird to have such strict conditions on what makes a complaint valid. It's not like "Well if you don't like it, don't buy it" is a valid defense to overpriced items.

"Why does this item cost 100 dollars? It costs 10 cents to produce"
    "Well if you don't like it, don't buy it"
    See what I mean, it's not a defense, it's a cop out

AliceShiki likes this.
  15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmmmmmmmmm, fair enough, I guess it can be a pretty dumb argument if taken too far.

I dunno though, I just don't understand why people even bother with making public complaints about pricing and what not... Whenever I want to buy something and can't afford it, I just save up and buy it or give up on buying it altogether.

And well, I honestly like the argument of "if you don't like it, don't buy it", it's an easy way of dealing with complaints of entitled people... Though I suppose it can actually be harmful when you start receiving valid complaints, it can be kinda hard to find the difference between those.

16. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't think you
    Don't you think people know this? You could get potentially more value for your money elsewhere? Don't think the comment adds anything new. I like the poll though.

The fact of life is people will pay for stuff they like. Like paying 2-3 dollars for a can of soda at a restaurant. You know if you purchased in bulk, you could get that for a quarter outside of the restaurant? But people still pay. Or going to a movie theater for a family of four would be like 40 dollars + food/drink etc. They could wait until it came out on DVD/Blue Ray/Stream and get it for 6 dollars. There's a ton of other examples where people pay a premium just for convenience, vip status, and etc. This is similar to those folks that pay micro transactions in Pay to Win games. There's probably other free stuff out there but it's not the same content so they continue with what they like.

Anyway I'm glad that some folks out there are paying SS for translations. They're essentially helping us get free web novels to read.

17. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I did the math cause I was curious and figured I might as well share it.

18. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly would like to help the authors by supporting them but i'm defnitely not going into these kind of sites anymore to read novel, they deserve nothing the price its absurd, the way them deal with this all its absurd for some time i've been helping with donations into fan translations but they are not mercenary like this and them also allow you to get some free chapters people dont have the money to read things from a site like this, and its not something you should support to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.