Discussion Qidian's way of shitting on us

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Silver121, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver121

Silver121 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started reading God of Slaughter on Qdian International. I read for about 90 chapters, but then I noticed it has only 96 unlocked chapters and the rest of around 1200 chapters are locked. That's close to $250 considering the amount it takes to buy stones to unlock them.

Well done Qidian, well done!!!

I think it's better to read the machine translation instead...

Arexio, Wing0 and readerz like this.
  2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then go read the machine translation instead of making a post on the forum.

Seraphic, LordCorwin, mom and 5 others like this.
  3. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Join the dark side...

Arexio, Wick, Seraphic and 6 others like this.
  4. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why so bitter?

Arexio, Lonelycity, kenar and 6 others like this.
  5. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They butchered the novel on Q. The author got away with writing dirt parts up to a certain point on the original site, however he wrote really naught stuff on another site and hide a URL link in a full stop in the story, only those who knew had access to it but eventually Q found out. They removed the links and heavily edited his novel, cutting out some sex senses completely, just fade to black or completely skipped over and change of locations. Before the translators added in the hidden naughty stuff to the English translation but eventually when Q/Chinese government removed the naught site and then they could no longer add it as it was gone. Then they moved to Q and had to remove all the naught stuff added. The novel was butchered. Those who don't know how it was, wouldn't know what it was. It nothing like it was before.

6. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why make a post on the forum when it is very clearly just do add to the cirkle jerk?

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of whining, they can offer a better solution
    It has gotten old.
    Qidian is not selling medicine
    You do not have to buy the chapters
    It is currently an unregulated industry.
    In the future, laws to protect readers will be put in place
    Vote with your wallet.
    Besides, we all know that with all the free spirit stones you can get. It does not cost $250.
    The way I see it, readers simply have unquenchable appetites. How many chapters do you need to read per day?
    Books are a luxury.
    If you cannot read a chapter wait a day until you get more free spirit stones and
    Do something productive!
    It is a blessing in disguise if you ask me

zloi medved and LordCorwin like this.
  8. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He did offer a solution in the end, read the novel with MTL.

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the type of solution I am referring to.
    I mean a better platform for authors to publish their books and actually make money.

LordCorwin likes this.
  10. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He never said it was a good solution, but if it continues this way the pirates will come and they will come as liberators.

Wing0 likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Let us not kid ourselves. Pirates are not liberators
    I do not get how people think that parasites are liberators.
    They do not create content. They just steal it.
    It is naive and dare I say stupid, to think pirates do any good.
    Then again humans are self destructive.
    Free unlimited chapters was always too good to be true.
    People should have seen this coming from day one

LordCorwin, Barnnn and Archaic pickle like this.
  12. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From the perception of the agitate consumers they will appear as one because the pirates offer everything you can want with only ads being place for them to make revenue. But the consumer can just use ad block to get rid of the annoying ads making it essentially free with little deteriment.

In such an environment how does one compete against that? How do you argue with others offering their cosumers a price of Zero? Morality? Support for the Author and translators?

None of those question is ever on their mind and the only thing is, are the stories and services continuing to be supply free of charge endlessly by the pirates.

Which there will always be because despite everything you say about paying author their fair share none of the web novel authors work translate on this site really have us as their cosumer base in mind and most of their revenue lie elsewhere that is where they get their support from to continue writing.

So you can call pirates stealing, and those who use it leecher all you want, but if a provider who want to support the Author and Translators can't offer the consumer something better as an Alternative to their price of Zero with no lock on chapters. The pirates will only continue to grow into a larger fleet that will be difficult to kill later on once the market grows bigger.

Think about it, if piracy become more and more prevalent and even the causals knows about them, the consumers who would had provided revenue to translators and authors will begin to ask why should I pay for stuff when I can get it for free and more selection to choose from? If you can't come up with an answer equal or better than Netflix. This market will never make the money that could have been made to show author or translator support.

13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    We are talking about different things. Let me clarify. I am stating that pirates are not liberators. They only bring harm. Regardless of how it is phrased

You can make money now in two ways
    • Exploit authors: sell with ridiculously low prices
    • Exploit readers:sell with ridiculously high prices like Qidian is doing
    Qidian model is very understandable. A bulk of readers cannot afford to buy no matter how cheap. While the other majority simply refuse to buy and we patronize pirates. It is their God given right to consume content for free is what they believe.
    So the model aims to monetize the fraction of readers that will purchase content. Let us not kid ourselves, the novels are not so popular that you can expect to use the quantity of purchases to make a profit on them.

Content doesn't grow on trees. If people think they can just consume consume. Take without putting anything back then they will be in for a rude awakening.
    Japanese TV studios are feeling the brunt of it now, after exploiting animation studios and artists for decades. No one is joining the industry anymore.
    When novel writers/translators start opting to work for banks instead. Those who patronize pirate sites will go there and find ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Overclock likes this.
  14. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am only warning that this model will only continue to help the pirates grow by giving the appearance of a Liberator to them that is all and it is not like the novel community can't grow larger as time progress even if they will not become mainstream and remain just a niche community smaller then even the manga community. So if one can't find a way to overturn the model helping the pirates now even when the novel community get more traction their won't be any change in revenue for both Author nor translator and only the pirates.

MostlyBlue likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Even when the novels are free people still visit pirates. What is the excuse for that group?
    Normalize piracy is the problem. Not the cost of the books.
    Even when it was just watch ad to view content which is very cheap. People still visited pirates or made a thread to bypass it.
    It has nothing to do with pirates sites being liberators
    It is just that a good section of the community is entitled and just stupid
    Piracy has become the culture. It is now cool to pirate.
    You will get 20 likes in your post if you promote it

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    LordCorwin and Barnnn like this.
  16. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That group will remain that way yes and they need no excuse at all. But even they should rarely bring up this much issue with a single content provider like Qidan. Plus I don't think those that pirates usually would mention Qidan this often on here as they should have few reason to visit that site if they are pirating already. However, Qidan continue to somehow make someone mad at them every once a week and if the admin don't ban Qidan thread for mundane complaints. More people would follow the trail leading to a pirates den as, unlike KR and JP novels, the most popular novels here are CN, judging from their score, and Qidan is the biggest or if not the most controlling of CN provider around here. So if they continue to act this it would seem the biggest portion of the novel community might opt for piracy as the only alternative and let the minority pay for their entertainment.

Ai chan and Wujigege like this.
  17. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't matter if it's the type of solution you're referring to if it's a solution which satisfies him as a reader.

It's the authors, publishers, and translators that need to think about what type of platform they want to deliver their work on, it's the reader that chooses what they read and how they read it out of the methods available to them.

There are always going to be pirate sites and people reading there as long as the people hosting those websites don't face legal repercussions, and the harder content is made to access the legal way the more people will look for free alternatives, that's just how things work on the internet.

As for MTL, that doesn't use a shred of the translator's work so if people prefer to use that as an alternative to going through paywalls then that's their free choice I say.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Donszas

Donszas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me nuffies....me nuffies...
    Time to petition @Tony to make all all qi threads payable with nuffies hue hue.
    That way,only legitimate threads will be made...
    Back to farming nuffies i go ;)

AkunDami and Wujigege like this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    e
    Pirate sites are even stealing original novels from webnovel.com lol
    It is not just Qidian, they are just the latest flavor of a big corporation entering the scene
    It used to be Yen Press for shutting down translators.
    Hating corporations is simply in vogue.
    Even J-novel club got some stick too

20. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yen Press shut down novels translation as a business, but they never promised us anything for free and that goes the same with J-Novel Club with some exception to early chapters. They might get some hate, but their haters never got far and sporadically pop up only when they acted in some big way.

However, Qidan... They somehow form a hate base around them.

Fulademonen, Ai chan and Wujigege like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.