Quantity Vs Quality

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Liyus, Oct 21, 2019.

?

Quality vs Quantity

1. quality

2. quantity

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I am just showing off my crap Korean to the only Koreans I know on here

ongoingwhy likes this.
  2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobfearful: ...I'm a Chinese Singaporean. :blobpeek: I don't even know Korean except for a few words I picked up while watching Korean variety shows. :aww: Heck, I know Japanese more than I know Korean. :blobwoah:

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooops! Hahaha

ongoingwhy likes this.
  4. draw2much

draw2much Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People say quality but what they mean is quality + quantity. They want both, and if they can't have both, they almost universally pick quantity. No matter how special we may think we are, website stats prove quantity gets more readers and keeps more readers. Quantity gets more comments, reviews, hearts, or whatever. Higher reader interactivity. On all metrics, the more you put out, the better the results.

As a writer, I acknowledge this truth with bitterness.

Kuro_0ni and Wujigege like this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice to see a realist
    I recommend that you read my post.
    Aspiring authors should definitely read yours
    @Relhak @gardevoir07

gardevoir07 likes this.
  6. gardevoir07

gardevoir07 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best advice that I got about writing is to keep writing because quality can be raised over time but the tenacity and the habit of writing every day are harder to cultivate.

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at your target audience. Your current target audience based on this forum expect daily releases.
    Quality be damned!
    That is a fact you have to live with

gardevoir07 likes this.
  8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on the individual reader. Some are going to care more about quality than others, and some want that daily hit more than others. Personally, I'm only reading one book with daily updates and I never care if the writer takes a day or two off. But that's just a single individual's perspective, and it may not apply to your particular audience.

This is true, especially for beginner writers. Turning writing into a daily habit is probably the one thing that will improve writing skills the most in the long run. But it does depend on the individual and there are writers out there who end up never improving.

9. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    What @draw2much said is right in that if you can get both, why wouldn't you? Based on what I've seen on mine, a lot of readers prefer quality over quantity, which I'm totally fine with because I prefer the same thing myself when I read other stuff on here. Doesn't mean they don't ask me when I'll be posting the next chapter though lmao (which doesn't offend me tbh). Plus if fast release = quantity, then what counts as "fast"? Personally, one chapter a week is above average for me, depending on the type of novel as well as the length of each chapter. If it's Chinese, 3+ for those with shit tons of chapters while 1-2 for less but if it's Japanese, 1-2 for long ones and 3 for short ones. But either way, I have a lot of stuff to do aside from read anyways, so quantity to me doesn't really matter. I have a list of novels that I specifically get updates on on the front page of NU but I'm in no rush cause I don't even have the time to read them.

I do think a lot of people will say quality over quantity on this site because there's been a ton of MTL translators coming out of the woodwork, and idk how much there is really, but based on what I've seen, there's way more MTL than actual/edited-into-coherence translations. I legit get physical headaches when I try to read some of the MTL'ed chapters so quality all the way for the sake of my health.

10. draw2much

draw2much Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my question too! Quantity is entirely subjective. But I will say it seems to be "more than whatever you're doing now". :blobunamused: Quantity is like a drug, you get use to the current amount and have to increase to get previous affectiveness. It feels like a no win scenerio, whether you're an author or translator.

For translated works, it's all about the length of the chapter and how they're divided (sometimes a full chapter is cut into mini chapters) and how many chapters there are left to get recent or finished. If there are 300 chapter and a translator is doing 2/week chapters releases...

2x4=8x12=96/300=3.5

That means over 3 years to complete! And this is a shorter story in the CN subgenre! Imagine the 500+ chapter lengths!

No, no, no, I object! If it's got a lot of chapters, two or three chapters a week ain't cutting it. In some cases releasing like that means a 5+ year wait. Unacceptable. Translators would be better off not bothering in that case or waiting to find a group to help them pump out chapters faster.

I can deal with readable but not great quality over slow quality releases in the case of stories with lots of chapters. Just so I don't have to wait until I'm 50 to see them finished.

(Typing this on my tablet almost killed me :facepalm:)

11. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    That whole thing about speed just ends up being a cycle. I've been in the translating scene for too long to know that some readers will never really be happy with how fast you're translating something so personally, I just go at my own pace lol. But on the other hand, depending on what type of translator you are (quality vs quantity), that's the type of readers you get. I personally get a lot of readers that care more about quality since that's what I prioritize. I sometimes do get the "When's the next chapter?" comments but that's understandable, and a lot of them are pretty nice about it.

Exactly. I've actually done the same thing for a few stories (mostly CN) where I tried calculating how long it'll take before it finishes, and it just takes too long. Which is why I tend to choose those with less chapters.

I think tl;dr people lean more towards quantity (somewhat readable at least if TLer wants to keep their reader fanbase along with decent reviews) when it's hella long, and quality when it's shorter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.