Discussion R18:How to rate an ero novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MangoGuy, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone! MangoGuy here!
    TL;DR: A system where in the 5 stars of rating are split into 3 sets, each set relating to a particular aspect of the novel like literature quality, originality etc.

Firstly, what is an ero novel? I am sure that you must have come across these on NU...novels which are pretty much for sexual arousal and such stuff only. They are not expected to be significantly good literarily, except of course there is no dialogue other than....well, an orgasm. That would be just terrible.
    Most of the eronovels on NU have very poor ratings, with a particularly high number of 1 star ratings. More often than not, people rate them without even giving them a try.
    So, is there any way to deal with it? people have tried to give it more 5 star ratings to balance it out, but this kind of a...pretty much inverse bell kind of distribution graph means that most people wont trust the data that the ratings are supposed to give.
    How to deal with this? Obviously, the best would be for all people to think before rating, and rate by a particular standard.
    Normally, for ratings on NU, people consider enjoyability, TL quality/speed(they shouldn't) and also the redundancy, before giving a rating. These are all pretty vague.
    I propose a system where in there is more clarity on the distribution of the rating stars.
    Please understand that this proposal is kinda like a personal idea of mine, and is in no way a rule or something. You are free to rate novels on NU any way you deem fit.

What do I propose? 5= 2+2+1
    I am splitting the 5 stars into three sets.
    First 2= the enjoyability/experience. This refers to, in the case of an ero novel, how well it did its job. This refers to how much it managed to arouse you and stuff like that. Think positions and stuff.
    Second 2= it refers to the writing quality, like the plot(if present), the dialogues/character development/personalities.
    The last 1= the uniqueness of the novel. With thousands of novels around..is this unique to you? Did it feel original..This pretty much is kinda like do you think you would suggest it to other people?

I know that this system isn't the best, but I have only 5 rating levels instead of 10. I worked with what I already had.
    Personally, I use this rating system to rate ANY novel on NU, not just ero novels. Seeing the string of 1 star ratings on recently released ero novels, I decided to check them out. For me, they mostly range from 2-4. I understand that the scale is different for everyone, and that personal bias should also be a part of a rating. But...we got a 5 level rating system only so~~

I am not asking everyone to use this. I am only asking everyone to check this out, and then come up with their own personal systems, so that the ratings on NU can become something more than redundant data.
    PS: My system came out of the general scoring procedures in Parliamentary Debating.

2. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure the most important aspect is "Was it easy to fap to?"

Gitami, Chrono Vlad, otaku31 and 7 others like this.
  3. Punllarena

Punllarena A cheat Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    True. It makes me sad when there's people who dont even read yet out 1 just because of the tags.

candied skull and MangoGuy like this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    That pretty much had 3 stars.

While this thread's title suggests that it is only for ero novels, it is not. So, I decided to use more general terms.

5. KTL

KTL Down horrendous

Reading List:
    Link
    what kinda headass wank to EroLit

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    oh boi...trust me, you don't know. There are some really wonderful resources which can further your EroDao.
    You jut need to find them.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    1/9 faps. 1 being barely having time to start and 9 being a fap per chapter.
    Lovely belle 9 faps - grand completion
    My moms are son-cons 2 faps -minor achievement

8. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    I Just read any r-18 except the yaoi which disgust me,don't really give a fk about any ratings in
    r-18 since most people get offended by something in it so they just rated it 1-2 :p

9. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    this guy is the most obvious one who faps to eroLit :V

10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Lovely Belle is just awesome... Especially c3.
    Soncon? That is barely a 1...
    Harem dynast would be a 2. Asuka a 5/6 and Adam at 8.

11. knighteem

knighteem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other than a good fap material. Its also important that the story is good, consistant n also properly defined.

I will rate it as how i rate a good isekai-like series. A good novel is how u properly explain the world, characters, plot, motive etc. The only difference is the fap material hav to be in there that isnt being there for the sake of it.

For me, its the little things that matter. It may not come to mind 1st but it will always lingers in the mind

12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Soncon had some chapters uncensored afterwards, still nothing graphical but i do tend to lean towards incest erotica and elves so it's a 2 for me just because of the concept. And yeah i'd agree with your estimates roughly.
    Also PLIC is a decent story, but fap-wise it's only a 4 due to having massive story fillers and straying from the orthodox path.

13. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    A man of culture of course...

Zones and elengee like this.
  14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol..
    World building and all are really the back ground of an ero novel.
    For me, the literature points will go to the arc/trigger building. How the tempo raises...

15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    so 0;01 is the apex? Some Li Qiye fap right there. :blobsleepless:

katokashi likes this.
  16. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Why would you read the story filters? I just search for the right words and get going.
    Ain't nobody got time for that.

elengee likes this.
  17. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    lol i do skim through it. In some cases the story adds to it, like maou no hajimekata, i'd give that a 6/9 faps but add some extra to the regular novel rating. It does help keep the novel embedded in your mind as a fantasy later on.

18. knighteem

knighteem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh right, cant forget that part. I wouldnt like it if the series has sex just for the sake of it or the whole series is based around senseless sex

19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh trust me,, actors can't do justice to what goes around in these books.

20. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it bad that I know what you guys are talking about?

katokashi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.