Discussion Racism

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NatsuSan, Jun 9, 2016.

1. NatsuSan

NatsuSan Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I the only onr who finds it funny that everytime you get an author using his novel to shit on anothwr county's people (Despite there being a legit reason for hate) prople always get bitchy but yet no one has said anything about inverted dragon's scale.

2. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is that racist as well?

3. NatsuSan

NatsuSan Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only reason the mc is considered ugly is because he is black. No other description about his features is given when they mention him being ugly, just that he's black.

4. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. From now on we'll hate on that too :p

5. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    this whole point of racism argument in novels is annoying. just because the novel has racist circumstances in it, does not mean the author is racist.
    if the author is confirmed racist, then i can understand the hate. but if it's just in this one novel this one exception. nope. go take a chill pill or you'll be the one making the unecessary racism

saffu likes this.
  6. Dreken01

Dreken01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed. I've noticed a good deal of people decrying certain concepts in stories, more often not looking at the underlying cause or issue.
    For e.g. G&DW... really now.... such hate, much racism. I'm really tired of the ones who can only cry out such things in forums, but yet still sit a home doing nothing. If you feel so strongly about these things then step forward and try to make a difference in the world. No one can hear you from your couch.
    Besides it obviously wasn't racism, I know racism and that was definitely not it. That was more along the lines socio-economic disparity and class bias.
    If you see go up to someone and say that you don't like them because they don't have the same skin color as you do, then sure enough.... you might be a racist...
    But if you go up to them and say that you don't like them because they are acting like privileged a-holes, then does it matter if they happen to be from another country?

I'm not some kind of authority on racism. I'm also not trying to defend it, push it forward, or make anyone 'see the light'.
    If you look for something hard enough, you will find it even if it's not there. But that doesn't mean that you should ignore it if it is..!!

7. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But the author of God and Devil World is blatantly racist... It's not just the characters that are.

There are plenty of racist remarks about Vietnamese, Japanese and Westerns THROUGHOUT THE TEXT. Not just the characters being racist, but the narrator descriptions and what he says are nasty.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Asf likes this.
  8. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Havent redt any work other then chinese web novel that have blantant racism. Now am I racist aswell?

9. DarknessWolf

DarknessWolf The Neutral, The Chaotic, Summoner, Lone Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
  10. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    ...what? Racist jokes are like a pair of legs - not everybody gets them.

Seriously though, people will complain no matter what you do. Some asshat complained to Leo because he use the word nigger in Django Unchained - what the heck do they expect?

11. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the GDW author isn't racist, then no one is. There's no way the author doesn't have some of the tendencies that he writes about considering just how it permeates the entire book. Chinese are good, everyone else is bad. As terrible as the Chinese atrocities are, foreign atrocities are exponentially worse. What? Chinese bureaucrat rapes women? Japanese bureaucrat not only rapes women, but tortures them, forces them to act as pets, gives them to his men when he's bored with them and kills them through rape. We haven't even gotten to an American/white man yet.
    Men are the only life form on earth worth anything, women are glorified sex and breeding animals. "Women are the future" because they can give birth. All women get absolutely sopping wet when they see a man in power. What? Man just massacred an entire group of people? Forget being disgusted by the massacre, she actually gets turned on and wants to ravage him right there. Strong men get multiple wives. All women are attracted to strength.

GDW is the poster-child for nationalism, racism, and misogynism. And it's only getting worse, had to drop it after the recent arc.

Em_Rez likes this.
  12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why inverted dragon's scale is not racist, is because the MC is the same race as the general population. The only thing is the the discoloration is from an injury he got when he was born. The reasons of his discrimination I cannot call it racist, because his race is not what being discriminated.

mir likes this.
  13. DarknessWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    That is what is life though~

14. DarknessWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Not racist but bloodline~?

15. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Class, family background, academic scores, illness, and lack of cultivation, these are some of the points of his discrimination.

mir and DarknessWolf like this.
  16. erichninja

erichninja Don’t think about it

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why I think of trump when I hear that word

mir likes this.
  17. Dreken01

Reading List:
    Link
    So when did GDW become the template/poster child for racism.
    Obviously a number of things make you question this, but is it the author or the MC/individuals in the story that has these characters. For all we know it be just that, the attitude of the character.

Is the author a Nationalist, extremely likely. Is he a weapons fanatic, pretty obvious. Does he praise his country and their army, yes undoubtedly. But then again, what do you expect him to say "our army suck d-ballz and I hope we get invaded and massacred".
    He's also pretty critical of the Government and its officials (I don't see anyone pointing that out). Throughout the story so far, how many times have we come across these 'foreigners, who he's supposedly racist against? I only remember a few chapters way back, but from what I understand they will show up again in the future, we'll see how that turns out!

It's been said that the actions of the 'foreigners' (I use this term just for show) in the story are exaggerated, even though the worts atrocities are carried out by their fellow countrymen. Of course it's going to look that way. It's like this:- You can punish your own children, because they're yours. But if someone else tries to do it, well.... there are going to be problems. It's all about perception.

There are lots of books out there where the MCs are killers or such, that doesn't mean that the author has a torture chamber in his basement. On the other hand, we all know that most authors inject a portion of themselves in their stories, mainly through the MCs.

GDW is only up to just over 300+ chaps out of 1200+, give it some time, it might get worse, then you will really have something to complain about.

18. Dreken01

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it describes him pretty well...

19. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because his name and face are everywhere lately.
    Last person I want in my head is him, but he's there because he's all over the media. Is this a form of torture...?