Short Story Ramblings of a fool

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Dreizehn, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Dreizehn

Dreizehn The ghost that watches over you

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing much to see here. I'll be just posting stories (more like ramblings) here just so that I can take things off my mind.

This can also be a good start for me in regards to writing even though pretty sure this will just be a dump whenever something takes form in my mind. But hey that's still a start, I guess.

So, ignore or maybe drop some tips and criticisms. Point out stuff that I should improve and so on. Thanks

I've always thought about how foolish people are for idolizing and wanting to be a hero.

As you see, heroes always have all these stuff they have to do. All these responsibilities, all these people and lives they have to save and protect. I just find it so hectic and a pain in the ass.

Until the fateful day of being able to know and meet you. It was at that very moment that I know what I want to do. I want to protect you, see you grow, and make you happy.

It's funny how the things I find such a pain in the ass back then is what's making me wanting to go through all these all because of you.

But I'm not regretting anything. I even told myself that sticks and stones won't break our bones as long as you have me.

You must be wondering why I said "have" as it's clear as the day that I like you way more than that. In fact, I love you so much. Pretty sure you already know that as I've always tell you that I do.

Sure, things aren't always reciprocated. But what surprised me is when you told me those three words. I remember it clearly that you won't tell me those until you finish your studies and we're officially together.

Pretty sure that was the reason why I'm willing to go all through everything and stay. Don't worry, I'll always be here for you no matter what. Always waiting for the day when you'll tell me those words again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Meloman likes this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, lurking for now :blobpeek:

Dreizehn likes this.
  3. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    You should continue working on it. (Like last word “again” seems contradictory?) But it’s refreshing to read something short for a change.

Dreizehn likes this.
  4. Dreizehn

Dreizehn The ghost that watches over you

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah must've missed that one. The idea is that the person he's talking about already told him those words maybe like just a slip of the tongue, and he's waiting for that person to tell him those words hence the word "again".

Any idea or tips with the wordings and such?

Meloman likes this.
  5. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean my own grammar abilities are not perfect either, but I could correct couple of mistakes. However, I have no clue how to edit without changing your style. You do have a nice style of writing.
    (Not necessarily everyone’s cup of tea, but why should you change your style because of some comments?)

But here, just a couple of things I’ve noticed:

You probably need a noun after “idolizing”
    Like: idolizing heroes or wanting to be one themselves.

This stuff vs these things

Knowing a person usually comes after meeting them... no? Unless s/he is a celebrity, I guess.

Shouldn’t the whole third paragraph be in the past tense? At that moment I knew what I wanted to do ?? (But I’m pretty bad with tenses, so ask a second opinion)

Paragraph 4 definitely has to be in the past tense, found instead of find and the last part wording is a bit strange to read.

But I don’t regret anything.

I mean I understand what you are saying in paragraph 6 ... and it’s your own style.

Oh, now the word “again” makes sense to me. My bad. I somehow got confused with who was the one who said those three words in paragraph 7, but after re-reading it does make sense. Sorry.

I guess I got distracted by the first sentence in paragraph 7 (reciprocated one). Do you need it there? Really?

Do check your tenses. Some sentences definitely need to be changed into the past tense. Personally I like the mix of past and present tenses, but most likely 90% of editors would tell you that it’s wrong, grammar-wise.

Usually you are supposed to keep one tense unless there is a dialogue. But honestly I think you have a “love letter” style... so does it really need to be in a single tense? I’m tempted to say keep both tenses- but I’m really not the best person to ask about tenses. (English is not my first language)